PDA

View Full Version : Bit by neighbors dog - what next?

Yoyodyne
07-02-2007, 08:56 PM
I figured I would throw this out for input if anybody wants to chime in.

Just got bit by the neighbors dog. I was riding home and they were playing with him, next thing I know the dog is chomping on my left leg. Nothing serious but I do have a bloody tooth hole in my ankle and a golf ball size bruise on the back of my quad that hurts like a bitch. This all happened really fast - by the time I knew the dog was there he was laying into my thigh.

Anyway, not sure what to do next. The owners were very apologetic, "he's never bitten anyone before". I figured the dog was just all wound up and excited and got carried away....But.

I keep thinking what if one of the neighborhood kids had been riding by instead of me?

So, anyone got any advice or insight? I'm just wondering what to do next. I'm not contemplating any legal action and I really like dogs but I'm worried, what if a little kid gets bit next?

Rixtir
07-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Usually dogs get "one free bite." This could be that one free bite, if you report it. I like dogs too, so I'm not saying that you should try to have the dog put to sleep, but if you are worried about a neighborhood kid on a bike being bitten, then reporting the bite will put them on notice that their dog doesn't get a second free bite. Of course, if the dog did bite somebody again, it might be ordered euthanized. It's your call if you want to start that ball rolling.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
07-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Rixter is right about the general "one free bite" rule (using a negligence standard), but the Legislature just passed a bill (at least I think it passed) that eliminated the one-bite rule as it pertains to economic damages. In other words, your medical bills would be free here.

I would be horrified if my dog did something like this. I really don't think she even has it in her, but dog owners have been surprised before.... Some dogs have a weird thing about bikes; must be some ancestral predatory thing. My dog loves bikes because she thinks everyone that passes is me!

There's really not much you can do in terms of prevention. The only thing that reporting it does is make it easier for the next victim to get compensation through the civil legal process, but that's (obviously) not prevention. Short of putting it down, the only safeguard is the owner's behavior.

Duncan
07-03-2007, 08:57 AM
I would encourage you to deal with the neighbors privately- if you think they get the message and are more careful with the dog great, if not, report it.

and be sure to keep that puncture wound clean- bites often get infected.

BillD
07-03-2007, 10:28 AM
You should find out if the dogs rabies vaccination is up to date. Puncture wounds from dog bites need to be disinfected immediately and the bandages changed frequently. ANY indication of infection should be seen by a health care professional without delay.