PDA

View Full Version : My housemate was hit.

rainperimeter
06-26-2007, 11:48 AM
on saturday night he was heading east down halsey. halsey drops down a bit into the hollywood district, and right after this drop there is a light at 47th. a pick up was heading west on halsey and made a left turn, heading north on 47th. unfortunately for my housemate this person in the truck decided to pick a bad time to make his left turn and my housemate slammed into the rear quarter panel of the truck. the truck kept going. fuck that.

an ambulance showed up, took dan to the er. a cop showed up and brought dans bike here to the house. this threw my gf and i into slight hysteria. my housemates fucked up bike being brought to the house by a cop, not accompanied by our housemate. damn.

dan is alright mostly. some torn ligaments and serious bruising, road rash, etc. he's taking the week off but will surely be on light duty at work next week (we make glass at bullseye).

anyways this is a long shot but i'm wondering if a few of you might try to humor me. the pick up was a newer,dark colored ford extended cab 4x4. on the tailgate dan says it said '4x4' and 'off road'. and it surely has damage on the rear quarter panel. is there a pick up on your block or the within the first couple blocks of your ride from your house that matches what i've described? this is the sort of thing that i personally could only remember to scan for for a couple blocks from home if it weren't my housemate who was hit.

a long shot sure, but crazier things have happened.

wlrdr
06-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Will keep an eye out for it.

Take care.

mizake
06-27-2007, 09:53 AM
I'll keep an eye out as well.

Oldguyonabike
06-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Glad he's mending. I was in hit and runned over a year ago. Fractured elbow and Grade III shoulder dislocation. Police dropped my bike off at home before I had a chance to tell my wife. Fortunately they left it in the side yard and she didn't see it before I called.
I never saw the car and with me in the middle of the street (SE 13th) no one could go in pursuit.
It would make me feel great to ID your truck. I'm on the job.

rainperimeter
06-27-2007, 11:56 AM
awesome. like i mentioned above, this isn't the type of thing i'd expect anyone to be constantly scanning for all day, but maybe just your block or the couple blocks between your house and the coffeeshop or whatever.

thanks a lot.

brock
06-27-2007, 01:35 PM
I ride through that area from time to time, so I'll keep an eye out too.

vseven
06-29-2007, 06:35 PM
If we had little tiny cameras on our helmets (like the cops cameras on dashboards) that recorded such events and could be used to prosecute the perpetrators ?

daisypedals
06-29-2007, 07:28 PM
I will keep an eye out for the truck too...

Also, It might be helpful for your housemate to know that if he has an automobile with insurance coverage he may be entitled to what is know as uninsured motorist coverage... Everyone who has an auto insurance policy in Oregon has it... He will need to contact the insurance company and file a claim...

Bob Mionske is a local bicyle lawyer who would be glad to help out if things get tricky (bicyclelaw.com)

Best of luck...