Author profile: Ray Thomas (Contributor)
Here are the other 6 articles by Ray Thomas (Contributor):
- Get legal with Ray Thomas: How to fight for your property damage claim (Part 1) (March 10, 2014)
Now what? (Photo by J. Maus/BikePortland)
(Publisher's Note: We've split this article into two parts because Ray is an authority on this topic and he gets into some important details. Come back tomorrow for the finale. Also worth mentioning is that Ray's firm, Swanson, Thomas, Coon & Newton, is a BikePortland advertiser and this column is [...]
- Get Legal with Ray Thomas: Oregon's 'Safe Passing' law explained (January 6, 2014)
Bike lawyer Ray Thomas breaks down Oregon's "safe passing law" in this final installment of our three-part series.
- Get Legal with Ray Thomas: Passing around centerline myths and riding 'two-up' (December 11, 2013)
This is part two of our three-part series on Oregon's passing laws written by our legal correspondent Ray Thomas.
- Get Legal with Ray Thomas: Bicycling and Oregon's passing laws (December 2, 2013)
The legal side of getting passed.(Photo by J. Maus/BikePortland)
Welcome to part one of a three part series on Oregon's passing laws.
Trying to decipher Oregon's passing laws are a perfect example of how it's often difficult to know when (and how) a particular vehicle law applies to someone riding a bicycle. Confusion about application of [...]
- Get Legal with Ray Thomas: The skinny on sidewalk riding (September 30, 2013)
Learn the laws about sidewalk riding.(Photos © J Maus/BikePortland)
People that bike, walk (or roll, in the case of wheelchair and electric scooter users) share sidewalks every day, and the combination of modes can cause conflict and confusion. Oregon law, however, is very clear on right-of-way and the legal conduct required when you are bicycling on [...]
- Get Legal with Ray Thomas: What to do if you're in a collision (August 26, 2013)
It might never happen to you, but just in case...(Photo © J. Maus/BikePortland)
What should you do if you are in a collision with a motor vehicle? First, be prepared. While the odds may be pretty good that you will never be involved in a collision there are several tips you can follow which will make [...]