Author profile: Cathy Hastie (Lifestyle Columnist)
Catherine Hastie is BikePortland's lifestyle columnist. A lifelong low-car Portlander, mom, wife, writer and working professional, she also writes on her own blog, Portlandcentric.
Here are the other 11 articles by Cathy Hastie (Lifestyle Columnist):
- Lifestyle column: You don’t know what you’ve got ’til it’s gone (August 8, 2014)
I was a remarkably healthy cancer patient. Until I stopped bike commuting.
- Lifestyle column: Observing, analyzing Portland’s stop sign culture (June 5, 2014)
Columnist Cathy Hastie observed thousands of people’s behavior at a few stop signs in southeast Portland. Her analysis and observations might surprise you.
- Lifestyle column: A strange but satisfying Mother’s Day victory (May 10, 2014)
I have never met anyone as dedicated to her bicycle-fueled independence as my 15-year old daughter.
- Lifestyle column: What a car is good for (April 3, 2014)
I have recently rediscovered that the typical car is much more than what I remembered it to be.
- Lifestyle column: How I went over to the dark side (March 6, 2014)
The question: would I give up a major component of my lifestyle in order to advance my career? My employer was asking me to take a long-term assignment 13 miles away, in Vancouver, Wash.
- Lifestyle column: After commuting changed my life, life changed my commute (February 4, 2014)
I was dedicated to my lifestyle and proud of it. Maybe a little conceited. Then, in 2010, I suddenly and painfully fell ill.
- From mortality to mortification, 25 years of bruises on PDX streets (January 17, 2014)
With 42,000 miles on Portland’s city streets, you’d think I would have been injured by now. But I remain unscathed. Well, almost.
- Lifestyle column: ‘Those arrogant bikers,’ and why I’m one too (December 4, 2013)
Portland has its coffee snobs and its beer snobs, and me – I’m a transportation snob.
- Lifestyle column: A biker’s ode to the butt (November 4, 2013)
What is perfectly aligned in my sights as the crowd of bikers swarms ahead of me, heading west up the Hawthorne bridge? I’ll give you a hint – it ain’t the sunrise.
- Crunching the numbers on Portland bike fashion (October 2, 2013)
One crisp, sunny September afternoon, I left work early and biked to the east side of the Hawthorne Bridge to conduct a fashion study of Portland cycling.