Today is our 9th birthday!

Posted by on April 8th, 2014 at 11:55 am

A bike tour of The Dalles-40
Hi! This is me being very
happy during a recent trip to The Dalles.
(Self portrait)

Nine years ago today, I published my very first blog post about biking in Portland.

Back then my posts were published on OregonLive.com’s “Bike Fun” blog (which no longer exists). After being hosted by OregonLive for about four months, I decided to go it alone and launched BikePortland.org in its current form on July 29th. After that big move, it would still be several years before I started doing the blog full time.

And what an amazing run we’ve had since then!

Here are a few stats to ponder:

• 244,095 approved comments
  • 17,752 posts
  • 10,120 posts to the Front Page
  • 5,766 stolen bike listings

Over the years we’ve covered bicycling in all its wonderful forms and we’ve shared news and perspectives from every corner of the state (and beyond). We’ve also had some very talented people work with us and write for us. To keep the business alive and strong, we’ve partnered with tons of great advertisers and many loyal readers. That support allows us to bring you all the daily news, opinions, photos and stories you care about.

And my how things have changed over the years!

I’ve seen activists, advocates, and bureaucrats come and go, social movements and trends explode then flare out, elected officials rise and fall, and so much change in the news business that I sometimes feel like the “old media” I was once was pegged to replace.

Yet in a strange way, while I can talk to you for hours about how I’ve changed and how biking in this city has changed over the years, I also feel like BikePortland has remained the same: Every day we share words and photos that deepen your understanding of bicycling and the role it plays in cities, politics, and in people’s lives. Whether it’s introducing you to a interesting personality or new business, wading into sensitive social issues, or covering a tragic collision, I truly believe that our stories — and your comments — have created a strong thread that holds our community together.

It’s an ongoing narrative that deserves respect, honesty, objectivity, and constant care-and-feeding. Even after nine years, last Sunday I found myself checking in on reader reactions to a heated story and had to excuse myself from my family while I spent time replying to commenters and moderating the conversation. I won’t let that thread weaken or break down because we’ve worked too hard to keep it going.

But now I’m rambling, so let’s finish this up…

Beyond this post, I really haven’t thought too much about our 9th anniversary. I am much more focused on what I want to achieve by next year. 2015 will be a huge year for BikePortland. The 10th anniversary will be a major milestone for the site and for me (I’ll turn 40!). Right now, Michael and I are focused on getting to that 10th year in much stronger shape that we’re in now. I have never been more proud of the product we create each day; but the site must grow and mature in ways beyond the stories if we plan to celebrate our 20th anniversary in 2025.

Thank you for a fantastic nine years. And like always, stay tuned….

Comments
  • SilkySlim April 8, 2014 at 11:59 am

Well, now that 7 year olds are completing the Ronde, I’m a little less impressed by 9 years of BikePortland…

Just kidding!! Love the site. Favorite story of all time is still Ian the scheming bike tourist.

• Alan 1.0 April 8, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Oh yeah, Ian the Australian is one of my fave stories, too. I think my #1 might be about Alan Koch, the guy who’s ridden every street in Portland. Emily Finch’ story might be the overall pick if there was a “reader’s choice” rating. (hint-hint!)

Arriba! Arriba, BikePortland!

• Brian April 8, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Happy birthday!

• Mike G April 8, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Cheers!
    Stay cranky

• John Lascurettes April 8, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Thank you for everything you do, Jonathan. I’ve been commuting by bike for 7 years straight now and your site has been instrumental in informing me about infrastructure, politics and technology all along the way. Bike Portland is indispensable.

• patrickz April 8, 2014 at 12:43 pm

…and proud you should be of this great product. Happy 9th!!

• scott April 8, 2014 at 12:50 pm

You are not wearing a helmet in that photo.

• 9watts April 8, 2014 at 12:58 pm

And yet he lived long enough to get back down the mountain and take the film to the store to be developed so he could post the picture here.

Congratulations, bikeportland!

• scott April 8, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I couldn’t resist.

FWIW I could care less who wears a helmet, 9watts.

• Spiffy April 8, 2014 at 2:31 pm

film? developed? what is this old media you speak of?

• Nathan April 8, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Soooo, what you’re saying is, ‘Huge 10-year bikeportland.com party next summer!!!’ Right?

• Alison Graves April 8, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Way to go, Jonathan (and others), for helping decode the complexities of building a bicycle friendly community. You have helped me understand the policies, people and programs emerging, changing and transitioning. Thanks!

• Oliver April 8, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Congratulations and thank you.

• JV April 8, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Congrats Jonathan, and it has been a great ride. Look forward to many more thousands of posts, comments, and news items. The only thing that makes me sad is the 5,766 stolen bike listings. Though on the bright side, there have also been lots of recoveries, some of which have been reported here on Bike Portland too!

• Peejay April 8, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Huge accomplishment, major thanks! I’d love to catch up in person sometime.

• Sarah April 8, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Congrats! It’s been (and continues to be) a good ride!

• reader April 8, 2014 at 2:28 pm

What is “film” and how does one “develop” it?

• Christopher Sanderson April 8, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Happy Birthday BikePortland! I come to this blog everyday to read quality stories about the wonderful world of bicycling. BikePortland not only keeps me informed about what is going on, but has inspired me to be an advocate for active, sustainable transportation. Thanks Jonathan and Michael for all that you do!

• Dan Liu April 8, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Happy birthday! I was so fortunate to be able to “intern” for Jonathan and Elly Blue for a few months five years ago, and it’s been still a formative experience for me, with lots of happy memories. Thanks, and here’s to year 10!

• Lenny Anderson April 8, 2014 at 3:35 pm

No one has done more on behalf of biking in Portland than Jonathan Maus. Period! Thanks J. Looking forward to seeing what you and Michael have in store for the coming year, I mean YEARS!

• Curt April 8, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Congratulations on 9 years of great work! Very glad you are still energized. Thanks

• Steve Brown April 8, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Congrats on your success! You have create a world class product, done your civic duty on almost a daily basis and made us all better understand cycling and cycling in Portland.

• jim April 8, 2014 at 6:12 pm

How many deleted comments?

• TOM April 8, 2014 at 7:03 pm

A great resource for us PDX riders , seems like many non-PDXer’s read it too…. IMHO , your best move was helping shape opinion anti-CRC

• Pete April 9, 2014 at 8:15 pm

On radioparadise.com there’s a global map of listeners… would be interesting to see something similar for BP.

Happy B-Day – guess we’ll have to click on “donate” nine times now!!

• JEFF BERNARDS April 9, 2014 at 4:18 am

Thanks Jonathan, I enjoy the diverse perspectives you and your readers (commenters) bring to the bicycle culture of Portland. Thanks for the opportunity to comment too, I think that’s a great feature of your site. The stories you research are awesome and informative too!
    GOOD LUCK DOWN THE ROAD

• Brad Ross April 9, 2014 at 7:56 am

Happy Birthday Bikeportland.

• RH April 9, 2014 at 9:29 am

Happy Birthday Bike Portland! I would not be biking year round, every day if it wasn’t for this site. The posts are informative and inspiring. Thank you!

• Joe April 9, 2014 at 10:19 am

happy bday I owe you a beer.

• AndyC of Linnton April 9, 2014 at 10:25 am

Congratulations. Thanks for the wonderful resource, it is truly appreciated.

• Andy April 9, 2014 at 10:29 am

I have been a reader since near the beginning, and am also a heavy consumer of news in general. This site is one of the best examples of “new” journalism I read. I am also a graduate student at Portland State studying transportation engineering, and the amount that this site is cited in class (by instructors and students) is really impressive. As a testament to the quality of your journalism the content on this site is allowed as in paper citations in our academic works. Congratulations on the work you have done and will do, and thanks for doing it.

• Jeff Walenta April 9, 2014 at 10:40 am

Your blog is top notch I hope you guys are around for many years to come

• Chris Streight April 9, 2014 at 10:50 am

Congrats and Happy 9th Birthday!

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) April 9, 2014 at 11:10 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It’s really nice to hear from all of you and I appreciate your support. Looking forward to some really cool stuff to come.

• TOM April 9, 2014 at 11:57 am

BP.O is a fine resource for me and many others too.

IF I can make a suggestion tho ?

There seems to be many articles that are left dangling … no conclusion or updates .

What happened to the ticketed Ashland rider ?
    Any progress on finding the white F-350 hit & run driver ?
    Whats going on with the homeless & Springwater ?
    When is PGE ever going to reopen the Springwater segment west of Bell Station ? *

* OK ,, that’s a new one.

Anyway, we invest time and comments in these threads and then the author just goes on to the next thing and we are left with no closure.

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) April 9, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Hi TOM,

I appreciate your investment in these comments and you bring up a very good and important point.

You’re absolutely right that I need to do a better job following up with stories. Commenters deserve it and I hear you about how it helps to bring closure. That’s just something I need to work on. It’s easy for me to always get caught up in the next story and my brain just moves on — but following up is very important.

Your comment also brings up another thing I’ve been thinking about quite a bit. I’d love to have some sort of forum – maybe a post and/or an event – where readers could offer their feedback on how we’re doing. I’d love to hear more ideas and reactions to the work and learn how we can make the site even better. Stay tuned for this to happen. And thanks again.

• 9watts April 9, 2014 at 6:55 pm

“I’d love to have some sort of forum – maybe a post and/or an event – where readers could offer their feedback on how we’re doing. I’d love to hear more ideas and reactions to the work and learn how we can make the site even better.”

Yes. Also that Friday reflection on the week’s happenings was, I think, well received. I, for one, would like to see it again.
        So much that is great about bikeportland: photo series of people riding, ride alongs, monday roundup, policy and politics of biking and transportation, & Michael’s recent forays into demographics, housing, etc. Keep up the fantastic work you two–and Cathy Hastie, too!

• Kasandra April 9, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Good work, Jonathan.

• Steve B April 9, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Happy Birthday BikePortland!

• DC April 9, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Happy birthday!

• Mike bodd April 9, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Cheers keep up the good work. Thanks for keeping us informed. We cant get ALL our pdx bike info fro the OCyclers

• Tim Hanrahan April 10, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Well done Jonathan! Thanks for providing some of the best journalism in Portland, bike or otherwise.