Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on December 2nd, 2013 at 11:20 am
Community Cycling Center
The Community Cycling Center is a 501(c) 3 organization. Our mission is to broaden access to bicycling and its benefits. Our vision is to build a vibrant community where people of all backgrounds use bicycles to stay healthy and connected. We believe that a bicycle is a tool for empowerment and a vehicle for change. The Community Cycling Center is energetic and collaborative, and values a diverse and inclusive workplace environment.
General Position Summary
We are looking for the next leader of our programs team. With our programs, we aim to help under-served communities access the benefits of bicycling that they've identified: Health, access, financial savings, community building, and transportation options.
We use bicycles as a tool to educate and empower both children and adults. Among our programs are:
1. Bike Club: An after school program focused on confidence and empowerment,
2. Create a Commuter: A collaboration with comprehensive employment programs to offer bicycling as an option for commuting or closing transit gaps,
3. Community Collaborations: A program of grassroots community organizing using the bicycle as the catalyst, and
4. Summer Camp: A social venture that uses our empowerment curriculum to inspire school-aged children to make bike riding a life-long activity, and also generates funds for our other programs.
You will lead an enthusiastic and capable team of managers, coordinators, and instructors. You will be able collaborate with an experienced operations team, a robust volunteer base, and a versatile development team to accomplish the goals of the organization.
If interested, please visit our website for a more comprehensive review of our programs, and to read our Understanding Barriers to Bicycling report: www.CommunityCyclingCenter.org
Role of the Program Director
The Program Director plays a central leadership role as a member of the senior management team. The scope of the position includes navigating the funding environment, supporting existing and future partnerships, writing winning proposals, and cultivating the next generation of programs at the Community Cycling Center. The Program Director will plan and strengthen community health and economic development program components to align with the strategic plan. Successful candidates will have experience in program funding, building and managing collaborations, be entrepreneurial and resourceful, be culturally competent, think creatively, and be a skilled leader committed to cultivating a strong team and organization.
• Translate mission and vision-aligned strategic concepts into long-range and tactical plans with clear outcomes and measures;
• Cultivate and maintain strategic partnerships and ensure positive and productive collaborations;
• Plan and develop fundable proposals that will ensure the sustainable delivery of our programs; work with a team of staff members to plan and write winning grants.
• Research and develop strategies for program replication and adaptation as methods of increasing scope and scale;
• Develop and coordinate formal and informal evaluations of programs;
• Represent the Community Cycling Center in relevant committees, discussions and forums;
• Recruit, hire, train, evaluate and manage skilled program staff to implement effective programs;
• Develop and strengthen program policies and procedures;
• Through clear and transparent communications maintain excellent relationships with internal and external partners;
• Actively participate in organizational development and oversight with other managers and directors.
• Support fundraising efforts by stewarding donor relationships when appropriate, attending events and assisting with strategic planning as needed.
• Demonstrated experience conceptualizing programs and translating concepts to successful proposals and budgets;
• Master’s degree or equivalent experience in education, community health, or program development and evaluation;
• Working knowledge of best practices in experiential education including but not limited to developmental stages of learning, inquiry-based learning, student-centered teaching, collaborative learning, and culturally-appropriate teaching, and multiple intelligences;
• Working knowledge of evaluation methods and systems including but not limited to logic models, theories of change, quantitative and qualitative methods, and authentic assessment;
• At least three year’s experience successfully managing and mentoring staff;
• Exceptional communication. Ability to recognize opportunities, and communicate effectively inside and outside the organization, particularly across cultures;
• Personal commitment to and demonstrated success creating an inclusive and collaborative work environment;
• Experience working in low-income communities; understanding of barriers to healthy lifestyles in low-income communities and communities of color.
• Ability to ride a bicycle in order to observe programs and staff in action;
• Ability to lift up to 25 pounds of program materials and equipment to assist with events;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, including Word and Excel.
• Love of bikes!
Desired Skills and Qualities:
• Foreign language proficiency
• Resourceful, optimistic, collaborative, and creative
• Policy and/or advocacy experience
• Strategic communications and/or PR experience
• Experience with workforce development, social ventures or micro-enterprise
• Sense of humor
• Passion for building community
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Pay rate & benefits
Status: Regular, Full-Time, non-exempt
Compensation: Salary DOE. Benefits include vacation, personal and sick days, health, dental and life insurance, 401K, and employee discounts.
How to Apply
Send your resume and cover letter with salary expectations to Jobs@CommunityCyclingCenter.org. This position will remain open until filled. No calls, please.