Broken glasses? Local shop owner grabs a bike chain link

Posted by on October 30th, 2013 at 3:20 pm

“Geeks use tape,” Fahrner wrote. “I use chain links.”
(Photo: Martina Fahrner.)

Martina Fahrner of Clever Cycles on Southeast Hawthorne lived up to her bike shop’s name Tuesday after the bridge of her glasses broke.

“They just snapped in the middle,” the shop owner and Bicycle Transportation Alliance board member said in a phone interview Wednesday. “The next morning I went to work, and they snapped again. So I had to find something to stabilize them.”

The problem was that, even glued together, the glasses didn’t pinch her nose properly. So she started looking around the shop for “something flat and decorative.”

The answer: an old piece of bike chain. She glued it to the bridge of the glasses to rest on her nose.

“Geeks use tape,” she wrote in a Facebook post about the trick. “I use chain links.”

Fahrner said the trick “definitely works when your glasses are broken, but I think you can also decorate your frames with the chain links when they’re not broken. The only problem is that it weighs a little bit more.”

Fahrner said she’s been surprised by the attention they’ve drawn.

“I probably will keep them just a bit longer,” she said. “‘Til I have new glasses.”

Comments
  • Todd Boulanger October 30, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Wonderful!

• dwainedibbly October 30, 2013 at 5:10 pm

That’s great! I think I’ll break Mrs Dbbly’s glasses for her. :) Prediction: Bike Craft 2014 will have several vendors selling these.

• Dave October 30, 2013 at 6:00 pm

As a four-eyes for 50+ years, what can I say but SWEET!

• AndyC of Linnton October 30, 2013 at 6:26 pm

NERD!!!

• Opus the Poet October 30, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Ah, yes, but aren’t we all, here.

• annefi October 31, 2013 at 12:51 am

I’m assuming that’s a compliment.

• Opus the Poet October 31, 2013 at 8:23 am

Since I’m including myself I would hope so.

• Mabsf October 30, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Hmm, that would be nerdette to you…

• Caleb November 3, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Hmm, I believe this is the first time I’ve witnessed anybody who felt compelled to link sex/gender/whatever to the word “nerd”.

• LoveDoctor October 31, 2013 at 9:03 am

Awesome. For a more permanent solution (and this is only for thicker plastic frames that are out of warranty), you could drill a hole 1/64th” or 1/32″ smaller than the diameter of the rivet pin, and use a chain tool to permanently and securely link the two sides. Heat the frame slightly with a hairdryer first so the plastic doesn’t crack. If you have any significant amount of astigmatism, though, it likely won’t work since any rotation of the frame will throw off the optics of the lenses.

• nuovorecord November 1, 2013 at 4:43 pm