Bike shop news roundup

Posted by on August 29th, 2013 at 12:32 pm

ebike store sign
The eBike Store has moved.
(Photos © J. Maus/BikePortland)

I’ve got several bits of local bike shop news in my brain and my inbox, so I figured it’s a perfect time for another roundup…

Congressman Earl Blumenauer turns attention to bike shops today

Portland’s representative on Capitol Hill is in Portland today focusing on bike shops’ impact on the local economy. After a tour sampling a few shops, he plans to convene a ‘Bike Shop Roundtable’ at VeloCult. According to a Blumenauer aide, about 12-15 local bike shop owners will be there. “It’s meant to be a check-in with different bike shops and businesses around the city, a discussion of Portland’s budding cycling economy, and an opportunity for the businesses themselves to discuss issues, federal or otherwise, they might be facing,” said the aide. I plan to be there and will bring back a full story, so stay tuned!

New shop coming to north Portland

Gladys Bikes is the name of a new shop coming to North Portland this fall. Owner Leah Benson is keeping mum on many details until she’s closer to opening in October, but from the photos she’s been posting to Facebook, it looks like Gladys Bikes will be a very solid addition to the neighborhood.

The eBike Store set to open at new location

The eBike Store, formerly located on N Alberta and Vancouver, is putting the finishing touches on a new location in the Piedmont neighborhood. Owner Wake Gregg has been working for months on renovations to a former chop-shop on the northwest corner of Albina and Rosa Parks Way (across the street from Peninsula Park). Gregg lives just a few blocks from the new store. I spoke with him this morning and — despite a struggle with the City of Portland over various permitting issues — he is excited to be just one week away from officially opening to the public. The new eBike Store has already transformed the corner, and, as a nearby resident myself, I can say the neighborhood is welcoming this shop with wide open arms! Good luck Wake and we can’t wait for opening day.

Portland bike shops on About.com

Local writer (and top-notch cyclocross racer) Josh Liberles posted a solid run-down of what he refers to as “Portland’s Top 11 Bike Shops.” You might be surprised at what shops he included, and which ones he didn’t. It was interesting to me that two of Portland’s largest shops — Bike Gallery and Bike n’ Hike — didn’t make the list, while several smaller shops did. Perhaps the trend of bike shops becoming welcoming community spaces is starting to change public perception of what makes a good shop?

That thought brings me to the next item on our list…

Wall Street Journal notices cafe, community trend

Today’s Wall Street Journal featured a story on the growing national trend of bike shops becoming community gathering places. We’ve seen this phenomenon occur locally for years now, especially in the success of VeloCult, so it’s great to see that it’s catching on around the country. The WSJ reported that a National Bicycle Dealers Association survey of 4,000 establishments found that 12% have coffee bars, 11% offer spinning classes and almost 5% serve beer.

Speaking of beer…

Western Bike Works now offers beer, outdoor seating

Western Bike Works at NW 17th and Lovejoy has recently started offering a full beer selection at their in-store Corsa Cafe. The shop has also converted a few parking spaces in front of their store into outdoor customer seating, complete with flowerbeds and a sun umbrella. Inside the shop you’ll find couches, tables, and a cafe serving baked goods, beer, and a full coffee selection.

Clever Cycles’ largest sale ever starts today

Clever Cycles is having a back to school sale that starts today and goes through September 15th. It’s their largest sale ever and they’re offering some great deals on everything in the store, including complete bikes from brands like Handsome, Surly, WorkCycles, and more. Clever knows how to put on a sale, so my advice is to get their early if you want to get the good stuff.

— Read more local bike shop coverage in our archives.

Comments
  • Terry D August 29, 2013 at 12:39 pm

In not so good bike shop news, Cylcopedia on East Burnside and 57th is now closed.

• Chris Sanderson August 29, 2013 at 1:21 pm

How could Joshua leave Joe Bike and Splendid off the list??? Nearly every Yuba and Bullitt cargo bike in this town comes from those two shops!

• AndyC of Linnton August 29, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Is the location of Gladys Bikes also being kept quiet?
    Nice to see what looks like a women-run store going in.
    If I had my druthers, Velocult would franchise and be in every section of the city. I just simply don’t make it to Hollywood enough anymore, but absolutely have enjoyed every experience there.

• Rachel September 14, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Andy – they open at the beginning of October and Gladys is located at 3808 N Williams, suite 132, a cozy spot just down the way from Sugar Wheel Works. Yeah Gladys!!

• Chris Sanderson August 29, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I should mention that I have seen some of the progress that Wake has done up there at the new eBike store, and it is impressive what he’s done. That guy has serious skills, and a ton of energy. It is too bad that the city is hosing him on some pretty ridiculous permits, especially when one considers what a blighted piece of property that was before he got in there.

• Paul Atkinson August 29, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I recently got a significant repair / tune done at Velo Cult, and I have to say I’m very impressed. If they experience the success they deserve, we’ll all be in here worrying about whether it’ll go to their heads.

• Spiffy August 29, 2013 at 2:29 pm

that’s a lot to convey from a picture of an empty chair and a desk with a laptop on it…

but the four differently colored hats look neat… they’re “solid” colors…

• Velograph August 29, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Those are Double Darn hats! Nice!

• Lance P. August 29, 2013 at 2:35 pm

“Western Bike Works at NE 17th and Lovejoy” should be “Western Bike Works at NW 17th and Lovejoy “

• Kiel Johnson August 29, 2013 at 4:38 pm

how about an electric bike shop in SW? just went over to the new Burlingame bikes on SW Terwilliger, they have been open for only 3 months. Father and son outfit. http://www.burlingamebikes.com/

• Portland's One-Stop Electric Bike Shop August 29, 2013 at 4:39 pm

To be fair, most of the delays we have experienced in opening have come from my ignorance regarding how the permitting process works. Yes, we had to get a nonconforming usage review which took some time, but if the property didn’t have any paperwork issues, there is no way we could have afforded it.

My biggest lapse in judgement was that I erroneously believed that obtaining an occupancy permit would be a speedy formality after all the work we did obtaining nonconforming use review (a roughly 4.5 month process)

The folks at BDS have been great to work with and have bent over backwards to find ways that I can legally conduct business at our new location. They have even granted me a 6 month extension on rebuilding the curbs. I owe them a big shout out.

Three inspections left and we can open our doors!

• Chris Sanderson August 29, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Thanks again for clearing the air, on the permit process. Wake, you are bringing nothing but good to that location. Keep up the good work, and glad to hear the BDS has been helpful!

• Portland's One-Stop Electric Bike Shop August 29, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Looking back, I should have kept my other shop open until we 100% clearance to operate at the new facility. My bad.

• Chris Anderson August 29, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Velo Cult lost points with me when I saw their “book” which contains lots of pictures of dudes getting things done and lots of pictures of ladies being sexy. This would be fine in a different context but if we really want to make progress opening up biking to females a book that is meant to appeal to people of all genders would do a better job. From this book you’d think women are expected to pose, not do. Disappointing.

Book is here: http://velocult.com/store/velo-cult-book-vol-1.html

An egregious page is here:

• Emily August 31, 2013 at 9:34 am

How disappointing.

• Joe Rowe August 30, 2013 at 11:29 am

I just wanted to say thanks to Earl.

a) These bike shop visits are a small, and good thing.

b) The big thing he’s recently done is sign a letter with 100 lawmakers saying they do not support starting any military use of force in Syria without congressional approval. see link below

Should Obama use force without approval, I would expect Earl to drop all the small chores and get back to DC to give Obama a fair trial known as impeachment.

==============

Sociopaths kill many people,
    They use imported weapons
    Countries exporting those weapons say they a red line is crossed
    The sociopaths feed on the war on both sides
    We wind up in endless war, draining budgets for human needs

• IanO September 11, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I was happy to see a new banner on the eBike Store website:

“We’re Back!”

Looks like they got their permits straightened out and are finally opening this Thursday the 12th!