Photo of the Week: Birthday blankets on the Broadway Bridge

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on August 8th, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Broadway Bridge blanket and sunset
Sunset light blankets the Broadway Bridge and its temporary "yarnbomb."
(Photo © J. Maus/BikePortland)

As we shared a few months ago, the Broadway Bridge turns 100 years old this year. As part of an ongoing celebration, a temporary installation of four separate, large knitted blankets have been draped from its spans.

A few nights ago, as my family and I pedaled home from our first Thorns soccer game at Jeld-Wen Field, I noticed the blankets were billowing perfectly in the warm evening breeze and the light was a perfect complement to their multi-colored patterns.

According to PDX Bridge Festival organizers, the four blankets were conceived of and put together by local artist Tyler Mackie. Titled, Bridge for Blankets, each of the pieces is 18-feet wide by 21-feet tall and are made mostly of wool. It took the work of 150 volunteer knitters to put them together and after they come down at the end of this month, they'll be divided into six-foot squares and donated to local warming shelters.

The climax of this "yarnbomb" will be a big block party this Saturday (8/10) from 12:00 to 7:00 pm at NW 9th and Hoyt. Head on over for live music, dancing, model bridges made by local elementary school students, food, crafts, and more. More info on the event and the Bridge Fest here.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • John Lascurettes August 8, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I've been wondering what those were for every day I've been riding by them. Thanks.

• Joe August 8, 2013 at 2:00 pm

awesome!

• BURR August 8, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Only in Portland...

• q`Tzal August 8, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Oh, yarnbombing is pretty big in other big cities like NYC. What surprises me is it sounds like they got legally authorized access to the bridge.
      Other yarnbombing sites I've seen seem to be extra-legal. This could be a problem with a bridge under DHS observation.

• kkcoughlin August 8, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I think the blankets are pretty sweet. But a giant, world record smashing, game of pooh sticks on the Broadway, now that would be something.

• DNF August 8, 2013 at 3:28 pm

they're taking donations to help pay for the yarn, if you'd like to help out: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bridge-for-blankets--143

• Anne Hawley August 8, 2013 at 3:52 pm

It's not often--well, it's not EVER--that I get to share something from BikePortland with my knitting community on Google+. Great photo, Jonathan.

• Kristen August 9, 2013 at 8:11 am

Great job, knitters! I know just how much work you all put into this project, and it turned out AWESOME. JM, that picture is perfect, the blanket looks like stained glass in the sun.