City Club of Portland announces 'Civic Salon' on The Future of Biking

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on April 17th, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Screen grab of City Club website.

The City Club of Portland has just announced their next crop of 'Civic Salons' and I'm excited to share that — along with news, sports, schools, books, and food — bicycling is among the topics they've chosen to focus on. Not only that, but guess who they asked to lead The Future of Biking discussion? That's right: I hope you'll consider joining me and other bike-curious Portlanders on May 15th for this event.

I've never attended a Civic Salon, but the basic idea is right up my alley: "Bring people together for great discussion and good food in intimate settings." Here's more from the City Club website:

Attend a salon where you'll enjoy the listening, learning, and conversing that comes with a provocateur knowledgeable in a given topic. Enjoy food and wine while exploring topics that range from politics to art to education. Civic Salons are held in homes, businesses, restaurants, and other venues that offer a space conducive to conversation and the exchanging of ideas.

Other Salons on the schedule include: How Will We Get Our News? with Steve Bass, Oregon Public Broadcasting President; What's in Store for Sports? with Meyer Freeman, Chief Operating Officer of the Oregon Sports Authority; The Future of Student Achievement with Liz Casson-Taylor, Principal at Beaumont Middle School; The Effects of the Digital Age on Books with Andrew Proctor, the Executive Director of Literary Arts; and The Future of Food with Feast with co-founder of Feast Portland Mike Thelin.

And here's the blurb we put together for The Future of Biking discussion on May 15th:

National trends show that bicycling is becoming more inclusive as a wider variety of people adopt cycling as a mode of transportation. What changes can we expect Portland's burgeoning bike industry to embrace as a result? What will the future of Portland's streets look like as bicycling becomes even more of a force in our city and region?

I love talking about bikes, especially in this type of informal format. If you've ever been to one of our Get Togethers or Wonk Nights, you might have some idea of what to expect at the Civic Salon. The big difference (hopefully) will be a room full of new faces. Not that I don't love all the regular bike wonks and scene-makers (you know who you are!); but I'm hoping a City Club sponsored event will bring out folks who have different perspectives and perceptions about bicycling. There are few things I like better than helping people gain a deeper and more accurate understanding of bicycling and what role it plays — and could play — in our city.

If you'd like to come, tickets must be purchased in advance. You can reserve them online or by calling 503-228-7231 x110. Price is $35 for City Club members and $45 for non-members.

The Future of Biking
    May 15th at 6:30pm
    Host: Lucky Lab North Portland (1700 N Killingsworth)
    Event details here

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Scott April 17, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Any word on the status of their "comprehensive study of bicycling?

• 9watts April 17, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I heard 'May.'

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) April 17, 2013 at 4:11 pm

It will definitely be soon. I saw a minority report that was leaked to me so I assume the main report is already done. I'll see what I can find out.

• Scott April 18, 2013 at 7:54 am

Thanks Jon. -Mizee

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) April 18, 2013 at 8:53 am

Hi again Scott,

I heard back from City Club about the report. It's going through final the approval process and assuming it gets approved by their board of governors, they expect the report to be released at the end of May. Stay tuned.

• Scott April 18, 2013 at 3:17 pm

thanks for the update!

• Kris April 17, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Ooh, the Lucky Lab... oh, *that* Lucky Lab... Well, I'll be there anyway.

• Scott Lieuallen April 17, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Is that the evening of the Ride of Silence?

• spare_wheel April 17, 2013 at 9:42 pm

A civic salon that only those who pay $35 can attend. No thanks.

• longgone April 18, 2013 at 11:51 am

..yeah, but it might be open bar..?

• Peter James April 18, 2013 at 3:39 pm

To remain true to our values of independence, City Club has always been member-driven and member-supported.

However, membership dues cover only 40 percent of our operating expenses.

To support the rest, the Club relies on additional gifts from members and supporters like you.

Expenses
      Program services $374,003
      Management & general 87,327
      Fundraising 42,390
      Total expenses $503,720

• Brad Ross April 19, 2013 at 7:40 am

I'll be there.

• are April 20, 2013 at 10:50 am

i like how the image on the page promoting the event is of a road race