Biking beautiful in NYC: A photo essay

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on January 25th, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Amazing outfit - upper west side
The glasses, the bike, the outfit, the face. Love it all. (Seen on the Upper West Side.)
(Photos © J. Maus/BikePortland)

I'm working late on a Friday, I'm inspired by the Streets of Chrome photography exhibit I'm headed to tonight, and I hate to end the weekend on a serious note, so I figured I'd share a photo essay from my trip to New York City back in October. As many of you already know, I adored my time there. It was enthralling and inspirational.

I've shared a lot photos from that trip, but there are also quite a few that haven't been on the Front Page yet. One of my fondest memories of the trip was simply observing New Yorkers in their natural habitat and watching street life unfold in front of me. The photos below are testament to the stylish, graceful, bold, diverse, and beautiful people of New York City. I hope love them as much as I do...

Broadway protected bike lane and plazas-15

Bikescapes nyc-12
Prospect Park-6
lowrider
Riding in the dark with Times Up
Two guys talking
Prospect Park-12
Doug Gordon of Brooklyn Spoke.
NYC Bike traffic-2
Bikescapes nyc-14

Have a great weekend.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • pixelgate January 25, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Now this is more like it! I'd do anything to afford living in NYC. The style and originality is 2nd to none.

• Kristen January 25, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Love it. I'm visiting NYC for the first time this fall, and I would love to take advantage of their bikeshare system to see what cycling in that city is like.

• c. mark hadfield January 25, 2013 at 9:38 pm

beautiful, man. just beautiful.
    mark
    sitka, alaska

• Chris I January 25, 2013 at 9:38 pm

#3: There are no words.

• Spiffy January 26, 2013 at 7:35 am

I keep thinking he's about to break into a musical dance number...

• Sunny January 25, 2013 at 11:19 pm

#19 reminds me of a life size Statue of Liberty replica I found turning off the Trolley Trail in Milwaukie. It wasn't nearly the size of the original, but it must have been at least 4 stories high! Oddly, it was hiding in a parking lot behind some businesses.

• Hart Noecker January 26, 2013 at 3:48 am

I don't get it, why aren't they all wearing the exact same REI jackets?

• Brian January 28, 2013 at 9:40 am

because manhattan just got its first rei last year. give it time. . .

• patrickz January 26, 2013 at 8:10 am

Like a tune that keeps changing..Intrigued by the lady in #12.
    Thanks for a beautiful show, Mr. M!

• Gracie January 26, 2013 at 8:38 am

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful photos.

• mikeybikey January 26, 2013 at 10:33 am

• Rol January 26, 2013 at 8:41 pm

#10 = Allen Ginsberg, 1955
    Or David Cross, 2005

• Alan 1.0 January 26, 2013 at 9:29 pm

#5: Color coordinated longboarder? Really?!

• Chris I January 28, 2013 at 7:19 am

There's a lot of interesting things going on with #5.

• Eric Hancock January 27, 2013 at 11:48 am

Awesome --- you were all over the city.

• bunbun January 27, 2013 at 1:43 pm

you can't compare pictures of random people that caught Jonathan's eye while on vacation in new york with pictures of people going to work at 7am in portland, which were all snapped at the same time/location. portland may not have new yorks style but portland does have style, it just doesn't get up early or work downtown.

• Paul in the 'couve January 28, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Also New York City is huge and their is MORE of everything in New York and it is triple strength concentrated in Lower Manhattan. It really is the classic "observational selection" bias / fallacy. For every outrageous and stylish cyclist in New York there are plenty of common cyclists. Now, New York is indeed more fashion conscious than PDX and people generally dress differently (?better?) and bright yellow in particular and bright colors in general are far less common on NYC streets. So on the one hand, the NYC pictures and observations shouldn't be taken to discount that Bike Culture exists in PDX, but at the same time there is a legitimate recognition that a super sized REAL city with 100 times the density of PDX offers cultural expression in doses that PDX really doesn't touch.

Another example is music and music stores. Just as there are great music venues in PDX and great music stores (guitar stores) but it doesn't do any injustice to PDX to point out just how many awesome music venues can be accessed within a couple of miles in NYC and the absolutely spectacular music stores (guitar stores) of which I constantly seem to discover more examples.

New York City is "The Big Apple" for a reason.... PDX is a great place to live but it just doesn't rival New York in any kind of Urban category.

• JJ January 27, 2013 at 2:27 pm

#4 looks like a Super Hero!

• John Landolfe January 27, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I like the mismatched wheel colors!

• Al from PA January 28, 2013 at 1:06 am

#18--Headed out to the Bike Crusades...

• Anne Hawley January 28, 2013 at 1:02 pm

#15 looks strangely like she's got a Mini-Me on the back rack.

Terrific set of images, Jonathan.

• joel January 28, 2013 at 2:28 pm

love it- so much diversity. the skateboard, bicyclist is my favorite.

• Stripes January 28, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Stylin'. And sweet Jesus - not a frickin' Dansko clog in sight ala Portland for once - Amen!