Weekend Open Thread

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on August 24th, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Sunset on Broadway Bridge-1
Sunset on the Broadway Bridge.
(Photo © J. Maus/BikePortland)

What a week it's been! Now I hope you've got some riding and relaxing planned.

Sunday Parkways heads to southeast Portland, and I'm sure there's a lot of other cool stuff going on. Fill us in. Share your weekend adventures in the comments. Also feel free to share thoughts on the bike news of the week, or stuff you think I should cover next week. I'll see you back here on Monday morning.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Jade Koide August 24, 2012 at 4:59 pm

SE Sunday parkways DUNK TANK event on 41st and Salmon st. Stop by to participate!! In exchange for a few throws or a dunk, kids will sign a pledge to bike or walk to school a few times this fall. We'll be promoting the BTA and Safe Routes to School.
    Water balloon toss and dance party, as well. Stop by!!!

• Hart Noecker August 24, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Join PDX Bike Swarm at Col Summers at 12:30pm during Sunday Parkways for a feeder ride we like to call SHUT DOWN THE CRC. Word is their propaganda booth got cold feet and took it off their event calendar. We shall see.

• Tyler w August 25, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Werd up!

• Hart Noecker August 26, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Well, we did it folks! Mission accomplished. The CRC propaganda booth was nowhere to be found despite having today marked on their calendar for months. Instead of their lies about more lanes reducing congestion, today Sunday Parkways was instead inundated with cycling activists handing out hundreds of flyers with the aim of educating the public as to cheaper, greener, smarter solutions to our automobile addiction. To all that couldn't make it out, be sure that we'll be doing this again soon. To all that did make it today, y'all are my heroes. With activists like us, the CRC doesn't stand a chance.

• A.K. August 24, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Going to ride Bull Run. Great climbing.

• Caleb August 25, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Anybody going to The 5th Annual Bike Farm Bike Swap this Sunday?

• Tyler August 25, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Sounds interesting, they have stuff for $200-300 range? Im looking at bikes, something like a touring style or hybrid, but new prices make me cringe $500-800ish.

• Caleb August 26, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Bike Farm often has stuff in the 50-150 range. It just depends on what's been donated.

• rider.from.lao August 27, 2012 at 5:37 am

Had to give up biking...it was the bike or the girl. I was told that I bike too much. I commute to work/Beaverton 5-days a week and a long ride on Sat or Sun. :(

• aaron August 27, 2012 at 7:33 am

that is ridiculous.

• peejay August 27, 2012 at 8:04 am

Totally would give up the girl. If you rode around Sunday Parkways yesterday, you could have found another girl, one who likes bikes.

• 9watts August 27, 2012 at 9:29 am

Sunday Parkways was fantastic.
    But I do wonder what is up with all the idling cop cars at intersections. They let them idle for hours - from start to finish. I am sure they have some explanation, but in this day and age I'd have thought our police dept. would have rewritten their procedural manual to forbid that sort of anachronistic throwback.

• Sunny August 27, 2012 at 9:58 am

radios and lightbars need a chargin'

• 9watts August 27, 2012 at 10:05 am

Yes, sure. And they probably have an even longer list of 'explanations.' But these really aren't true. Lots of research has gone into what it would take (technically and socially) for semi trucks to stop idling (all night), and they figured it out.

• Craig Harlow August 27, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I HAD plans this past weekend to take the family bike camping to Oxbow Regional Park, inspired by the biking families at Kidical Mass and their trip last month. However, opted for a car (thank you, Getaround!), and was glad I did.

We hadn't been to Oxbow before, and I'm glad I didn't have to make that evil climb out of the river canyon pulling my Yuba Mundo fully laden with camping gear and a four-year on-board (not to mention three more kids who would surely have been bleating their protests from the seats of their own bikes).

Kidical Mass, I'm not worthy!