Crazy weather open thread

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on March 13th, 2012 at 8:34 am

Taken yesterday from inside a car headed west just after the Broadway Bridge.

The weather in Portland is pretty crazy right now. There's snow, lots of rain, and strong winds. In order to help your fellow riders, motivate each other to keep riding, and share conditions in your area, please leave a comment below and let us know what you are seeing out there.

If you are having trouble staying dry, browse the multitude of excellent tips shared by your fellow readers back in January.

Check the latest travel advisory from PBOT and get up-to-the-minute local weather and traffic info at PublicAlerts.org.

Have fun and be smart out there!

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Jeff March 13, 2012 at 8:53 am

Hit the road this morning at 7:15 AM from the east side. Roads excellent, winds calm, felt warmer than it should have and smooth sailing all the way.

• NW Biker March 13, 2012 at 8:55 am

It's snowing like crazy in the west hills.

• Rol March 13, 2012 at 8:57 am

One nice thing about snow, it brushes off a lot easier than rain. Unless you're wearing cotton. My pants are wet but it's pretty awesome out there.

• Jeremy Cohen March 13, 2012 at 9:12 am

Holy March! Dry when I started, rain over the Hawthorne Bridge, Snowing like crazy in the SW hills, back to rain after the Kindergarten drop off...wow.

• Joshua March 13, 2012 at 9:18 am

@Jeff, maybe the trick is just getting up before sunrise -- I'll try that. :)

• wade March 13, 2012 at 9:25 am

saw a bunch of random lumps of snow on the street and looking east i was happy to see an intimation of sunshine in a band of pinkish gray. i'm getting tired of cleaning my bike. considering jogging to work the next couple of days to see how it goes.

• G. Tyler March 13, 2012 at 9:35 am

Very few diehards on the way into work, saw some tracks on Holgate, 205 path and waved at a couple folks making their way on the Springwater. Was a little slower for me dragging the Travoy in the inch of snow on the path but was a much better commute than the wet ride home yesterday! Johnson creek is running high and dirty.

• Jeremy Cohen March 13, 2012 at 10:48 am

I agree with yesterday--THAT SUCKED! I was the normal wet, but the wind was icy and nearly blew me off the Hawthorne bridge on the way home.

• Kristen March 13, 2012 at 9:47 am

Yesterday the wind was so bad, it almost blew us over on our lunchtime walk-- great resistance training when going against the wind, I guess! We didn't get rain-drenched because the rain didn't kick up until after we got back, so I suppose we got lucky.

Today at 800 ft of elevation just North of Wilsonville, my parents had 8 inches of snow at 7:45 this AM, with more coming down. They're stuck at their house today, while we've got a dusting down here in Tualatin/Tigard at about 200 ft. Not too bad today, I suppose.

• craig harlow March 13, 2012 at 9:50 am

Forgot my Rainlegs, but liking my merino wool trousers and socks...from soaked to dry (in my heated office) in 45 minutes.

• Alexis March 13, 2012 at 10:23 am

The weather report saying "light wind, 5-15mph", even in combination with low temps, did not prepare me for the stiff, freezing headwind I got this morning! 9 times out of 10 if I make a mistake in gear it's to overdress, but I should have had on thicker socks and a scarf today, and maybe a thicker hat too. Ironically I was carrying thicker gloves, because it's usually my hands that feel the cold the most, but my hands were fine -- it was my feet and neck that weren't sufficiently insulated.

I didn't ride yesterday because I was worried about the high winds, but the ride today, although cold, was relatively dry and the snow coating the top of the hills is beautiful! Totally worth it despite nearly crying from the cold a few times. The weather is definitely wacky. I saw rain, snain, and snow before leaving the house and now it seems to be pretty dry, even a ray of sunshine sneaking through now and again.

• Rob March 13, 2012 at 11:14 am

The high temperatures in Chicagoland are forecast to be 67 (today) / 78 / 75 / 74 / 74 / 74 / 75, generally sunny with occasional showers. I checked last year's biking temperatures, and the same temps last year were something like: 39 / ? / 45 / 56 / 45 / 39 with a cold wind.

Needless to say, this is nuts, but I'm enjoying commuting in shorts and a t-shirt. And hopefully you PDX-ers get a break in 10 days or so.

• bartelby March 13, 2012 at 11:57 am

I find it helps to yell "WOOOOO" and start laughing maniacally in the face of strong winds and/or crazy rain while cycling

• Joe March 13, 2012 at 12:22 pm

huge winds Monday, today was blowing snow like crazy up near ZOO. wild riding for March.

• PorterStout March 13, 2012 at 12:27 pm

On the occasion that I'm riding against the wind and rain and feeling sorry for myself, I only need to pass a freeway entrance with the cars stacked back up to the roadway (like the Williams entrance to I-5) and I find I feel much better! I'll be home in a few minutes and they'll still be in sight of the onramp. Going nowhere. I wouldn't trade with them for anything.

• beelnite March 13, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Rode fixed for better traction. It works! Happy to have BOTH hand brakes however. Side streets slushy in Gateway area and the bike lanes full. Autos were respectful mostly when I shared the lane. I guess it's obvious the bike lane on Burnside sucked so they seemed to forgive. Just plain wet past SE 50th.

Totally wear your rainpants OVER your shoes. That works too. Toasty feet.

• Matt March 13, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Hit a headwind on the way home yesterday that almost stopped me cold.

• pdxpaul March 13, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I imagine myself a penguin, swimming in my penguin habitat. For really bad gusts, I am a polar bear, polar bears are built for this.

• bikeyvol March 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I cannot ride my bike right now (still recovering from an accident) - and as yucky as the weather is for walking, I wish I were on my bike. *sigh*

• dwainedibbly March 13, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Does this mean that summer won't start until Labor Day?

• Chris W March 13, 2012 at 6:24 pm

rain and snow weren't so bad today, however, the wind yesterday almost blew me off the sidewalk of the hawthorne bridge right into traffic! damn you aluminum bike.. still a little scared to ride with my clips in during high winds on bridge crossings.

• stasia March 14, 2012 at 4:26 pm

snow around the zoo/west hills was AMAZING!! I fricken love this weather--bring it on!!