Take the Sandy Ridge Trail System survey

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on February 16th, 2012 at 9:55 am

Detail of trail map.

Since it opened in 2009, the Sandy Ridge Trail System — located about 40 miles east of downtown Portland (map) at the foot of Mt. Hood — has grown by leaps and bounds (or should I say by drops and berms) in both popularity and in sheer miles of fun trails to ride. The International Mountain Bicycling Association calls is "one of most extensive purpose-built, mountain-bike specific trail systems on public land in the United States."

To keep it that way, partners on the project have launched an online survey to gauge user feedback.

The trail system is a partnership between IMBA, the Bureau of Land Management, and the Portland-based non-profit Northwest Trail Alliance. They've got big plans for 2012 that include facility improvements such as construction of a new paved parking lot, restrooms and a picnic area at the trailhead. The trail building will continue as well, with three new segments in the hopper (including a beginner loop around the trailhead) that will boost the total system to 14 miles of biking bliss.

To make sure they're on the right track, and to hear from users, the partners want to hear your feedback. They've launched an online survey to gauge user opinions and hear what the next steps for the area should be.

If you've ridden out at Sandy Ridge, take a few minutes to fill out the survey. Learn more about the trail system on the official BLM website.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Scooter February 16, 2012 at 11:30 am

I you have not been to Sandy Ridge to ride. GO! This is an amazing place for all level of riders. Hopefully we can get a place as nice a Sandy Ridge somewhere closer to Portland someday.

FREE FOREST PARK

• d February 16, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I've never ridden the trails, but I'm trying to set up a trip. The website shows that the trails are open year round, but it seems like they'd have some snow and serious moisture up there this time of year.
    Does anyone know if there are ever any trail closures/restrictions due to winter weather?

• jocko February 16, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Nope! I rode with two inches of snow at the top last year. not the best conditions but this trail is built to ride in all weather conditions.

• davemess February 17, 2012 at 10:57 am

We were there a little less than 2 weeks ago, and trails were great. They are well designed so have good runoff, and less mud.
      Fun times other than breaking my collarbone.

• rwl1776 February 16, 2012 at 12:29 pm

many Thanks to all of the PUMP members who attended the planning meetings and voiced their opinions as to what theywould like to see happen with the Sandy Ridge complex. And of course many thanks to NWTA for taking the baton and seeing it to fruition. Keep crankin'!

• David February 16, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Just dont leave anything in your car that is visable. There is a number of recent reports of smashed windows, and car break in's. A sad down side for such a great trail.

• Chris I February 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm

The same thing happens at trail heads in the Gorge that are closer to Portland.

• Brad Ross February 16, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Sandy Ridge rules! Don't bother with paved parking lot and picnic area. Put that $ into more awesome trails. Thanks IMBA, NWTA, and BLM.

• Tom M February 16, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Ridden many of the trails at Sandy Ridge. Really nice. Only problem I had was my 13 year old mountain bike showed me its limits and exceeded them on a few occasions.

The Hide and Seek might be a bit much (i.e. white knuckle fest) for an older suspension design, 338 is just awesome though.

Laura's loop is good for all and a great way to cool down after the others.

Quid Pro Flow and Rock Drop were under construction so I can't comment, but I would recommend working up to those 1st if the others are an indication.

• James Sherbondy February 16, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Quid Pro and Rock Drop are so much fun! I just have to walk some spots :) I really like how the trail builders gave options on Quid Pro to take less gnar gnar lines as well. 2 Turntables and A Microwave is gonna be sick, I'm gonna ride it but I'll probably be walking a bunch of it. I don't think I've ever left Sandy Ridge without a huge grin on my face!

• Tom M February 17, 2012 at 12:34 am

Thanks for the info on those 2.
        I totally agree: big mud eating grin:)

Anybody got recommendations for a good trail bike at a reasonable price these days (read $1k to $1250)? Love my old Schwinn Homegrown Carbon Sweetspot, but 338 really hits the bike's suspension harmonic. It rides like a bucking bronc on that trail! Never had that happen before, just the wrong trail for the bike.

• GlowBoy February 16, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I haven't been up to Sandy Ridge in about a year, but It's been fantastic when I've ridden it. I'm usually a cross-country, just-riding-to-explore-the-woods on a plain ole trail kind of guy, but WOW it is amazing what is possible on a trail that is purpose built for mountain biking.

If it's really super-wet the trails are probably best avoided, but I've only ridden it in the winter and it's been fine. I think snow is pretty common at the upper reaches of the system, but my impression is that most of it is snow free most of the time.

• Rita February 17, 2012 at 10:20 am

I concur that the land agency doesn't close the trails when they are wet & snowy. The trail is pretty robust, but please try not to ride it until it has time to dry out. A week of mist-no problem. A week of torrential downpours-not good for the trail or your bike.

• CharlieB February 17, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Thanks for continuing to report on mountain biking Jonathon!