Cutest bike rack in Portland

Posted by on February 9th, 2012 at 10:47 am

Awwwww. This little fella stands ready to snuggle with your bike at the Oregon Humane Society.

With all the heavy news around here lately, I thought some of you might enjoy something a bit more light-hearted.

The other day during a visit to the Oregon Humane Society (a place my oldest daughter would move in to if she could), I snapped a few photos of their bike rack. Isn’t it cute?…

On a similar note, I would love to hear about more good news and other cute bike things in Portland. If you’ve got something to share, get in touch.

Comments
  • 9watts February 9, 2012 at 11:05 am

Very cute, but I wonder how easily a bike locked somewhere in the middle could be unlocked and extracted by it’s owner if adjacent bikes had been locked on either side of it in the meantime.
    The flip side of course (if my suspicions are correct) is that it makes those bikes very theft-proof

• thefuture February 9, 2012 at 11:22 am

That’s assuming that you first made it across Columbia Blvd. alive enough to lock up your bike. Four lanes without a stoplight nearby equals cars and big trucks going really fast there.

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) February 9, 2012 at 11:47 am

I agree it’s a harrowing place to bike or walk or exist outside of a car… But come on, this is supposed to a happy post! ;-)

• thefuture February 9, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Awe man…should not have harshed the mellow of this post. On a more positive note the OHS adopted over 11,000 animals in 2011. What? Awesome.

• sorebore February 9, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Yeah, it is REALLY difficult to cross there. I stopped my car one day to assist two VERY YOUNG girls tryin to go pick out a real kitty cat! Cant cast a stone on being a buzz kill, ’cause I have been that guy, but for realz!!??!!

• notimpressed February 9, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I think it’s “cute” but that does not mean good. This is a great example kitch. It looks like its supposed to be a cat but looks more like the skeleton of a dachshund. I don’t mean to offend because someone spent time and money on this but it’s not good. Our streets are cluttered with this type of hideous bike rack. They get installed without regard to the surroundings. Functionally the top bar (spine in this case) likely makes it impossible to secure a taller bike. It wouls also be very difficult to lock the wheels with this rack. There is a reason why the staples are so ubiquitous and that’s because they’re simple and function really well for all sizes of bikes and tend to blend into the surrounding landscape. What’s wrong with a basic bike rack and why would we want to emulate a tacky Reno, NV environment? Less is more in this case.

• Robin Canaday February 10, 2012 at 9:40 am

Well, looking at it another way… it basically has two staples on either end, with a bit of room in the midsection for a few shorter bikes. Not great and not as many as envisioned, but given the lack of bikes on the rack, probably sufficient bike parking. (That is assuming that there is clearance for bikes on the unpaved side of the rack.)

• Randall S. February 9, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Heh, that was my exact same thought: “Aww… no how the heck am I supposed to actually lock my bike to that thing?”

• Champs February 9, 2012 at 11:19 am

I like this one. It’s attractive, and not functionally ambiguous. In practice, it probably works just as well as Dero’s campus model.

Oh, and speaking of racks that don’t look like racks, thanks to Breakside Brewery for covering that strange bike corral.

• PomPilot February 9, 2012 at 11:34 am

I suspect that OHS only had ‘bicycle rack’ listed on their donations wish list. So, someone had to step up to the plate, and provide something other than your basic staple rack. To the donor(s), thank you.

• Andyc February 9, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I like it. I’m full of piss and vinegar this week, and it’s nice to have a happier post to even things out sometimes.

• K'Tesh February 9, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Just keep that kitty away from the fish (rack)

(I’ve got a better photo somewhere, but with 18400+ photos I’m having a hard time finding it)

• Opus the Poet February 9, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Cute, but it’s a wheel-bender…

I seem to recall a staple centipede rack from somewhere, or was I just imagining one? As I recall it was just a collection of regular staple racks in a s-curve with a bent round-stock “head” on one end and a “tail” on the other

• Toby February 10, 2012 at 4:55 am

I loved the cuteness of it until I locked my bike to it, not very practical or user friendly. The similar type that looks like bikes, such as the ones at the Loyd Center Advantis Credit Union. They look fun and spread the message visibly to passing cars that they are a bike friendly place, but are a pain to use. I agree with the above; the staples are ubiquitous for a reason.

• Seager February 12, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Is it even possible to lock your front wheel and frame with a u-lock on that rack?