Bike Gallery opens ‘Epic Tri Shop’ in Beaverton

Posted by on January 27th, 2012 at 9:56 am

Epic’s logo

Hoping to get in front of a growing interest in triathlons in the Portland area, the venerable Bike Gallery has opened Epic Tri Shop, a new store located in the upper level of their existing Beaverton location.

Although Epic Tri is in the same building as the Beaverton Bike Gallery, it will have its own bike mechanic service, separate from the main store. The new shop carries a variety of running, swimming, and bicycling gear. This past Wednesday was the store’s grand opening party.

Store manager Gordie Cumming says he named the shop Epic because, “It sums up what I think many people feel when they step up to the starting line.” It’s also an acronym, Cumming explains: “Endurance, Persistence, Intensity, Camaraderie.”

In addition to all the latest gear, Epic Tri will offer a series of clinics for triathletes. A major goal of the shop is to support triathletes of all levels and foster a stronger community around the sport.

The first clinic, scheduled for February 25th, will focus on triathlon basics like setting up a training plan and choosing the right equipment. The clinic is $15 for Epic Tri Club members and $25 for non-members.

If you’re not a dedicated triathlete, Epic Tri still has plenty to offer. They carry an extended offering of bicycling gear and when I stopped by the shop for the grand opening I noticed plenty of running gear that would be a nice edition to my closet even though I pedal more than I run.

While it doesn’t get much attention in bike circles, triathlon is growing (just head out to Sauvie Island on a sunny weekend and you’ll see tons of people in full aero position speeding around the loop). We’ve got the annual Portland Triathlon, the Hagg Lake Triathlon, and Athlete’s Lounge, a tri-focused shop located in Northwest Portland.

To find out more about Epic Tri, and to register for the clinic on February 25th, head on over to EpicTriShop.com.

Comments
  • Steven Soto January 27, 2012 at 10:36 am

I was there last night to pick up a new light, and Clue showed me around the new shop. Although I don’t do Tri’s, I was quite impressed.

Well done Bike Gallery!

• eric January 27, 2012 at 11:06 am

Seems like a nice place and way closer to me than Athletes Lounge.

I was bummed I didn’t win the wheelset. Those $1,300 spinners would look awesome on my $500 ride ;-)

• sorebore January 27, 2012 at 11:35 am

Will Specialized hit them with a Cease and Desist order like the li’l gal over at Sugar? hummm???

• A.K. January 27, 2012 at 11:49 am

Make sure to offer clinics on how to properly transition from the swim to the bike!

(Pssstt… having your shoes pre-clipped to the pedals and then veering all over the place and/or crashing isn’t going to save you time…)

• Case January 27, 2012 at 11:51 am

Technically Jude contacted Special-Ed to ask about a possible conflict before she dumped $ into signage and ad materials, they didn’t proactively send here a C&D. I thought the same thing about ETS though, the Folks in Morgan Hill seem all too interested in “the principle” and all that jazz.

• bearcub's a snob January 27, 2012 at 5:32 pm

but do they carry frame treatments that are resistant to the urine and gu-squirts?

…see what I did there?