New Year's Weekend Open Thread

Posted by Will Vanlue (Contributor) on December 31st, 2011 at 8:35 am

People and bicycles search for dry
land at the Tualatin WES station
(Photos: Will Vanlue)

A cold but dry December is giving way to a January promising plenty of scattered showers.

The weather report for the next few days includes chances for wind and rain; will the weather keep you indoors with your bicycle tucked in a dry garage, or will you be out riding?

Anyone looking to stretch their legs, rain or shine, might want to check out the New Years Day Ride put on by the Bicycle Transportation Alliance. This year's ride starts at noon under the west end of the Morrison Bridge.

If you are headed out for a ride this weekend, what (if any) accommodations are you making for the weather? Where are you and your bike heading?

Got any bike-related resolutions for 2012? Independent Film Channel (IFC) asked Jonathan for his resolution on their Portlandia Blog. Check it out here.

Happy New Year!

(Note: We're not done looking back at 2011 just yet; stay tuned for our Year in Pictures post.)

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Lynne F December 31, 2011 at 9:19 am

Volcanos vs Farmland 200k Permanent on Monday with a like-minded group of Oregon Randonneurs.

• tacoma December 31, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Yeah baby! Best of luck on the weather.

• daisy December 31, 2011 at 9:29 am

I'm actually looking forward to getting back on my commuter next week, so I can use my brand new Ortliebs. Santa was good to me.

• Julia December 31, 2011 at 10:53 am

The new years day ride should be fun!

• K'Tesh December 31, 2011 at 11:05 am

Photos from last years ride show that it was! (and it was REALLY COLD!!!)

• K'Tesh January 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Did the ride today... then headed back over to Beaverton... 40+ miles total (mostly into a headwind)

Photos of this year's ride are found at:

(There's 195 pictures in all, if you see that there's less in the set, then they are still uploading).

• Hugh Johnson January 2, 2012 at 9:26 am

ah so that was the big group I saw down there. Looked like fun!

• sorebore January 1, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Happy New Year, Portland People who Pedal!!

peace.

• Chris W December 31, 2011 at 2:36 pm

no rain will hold me down! Just got some new waterproof gloves, nothing can stop me now!

• beth h December 31, 2011 at 5:53 pm

In anticipation of the potential for staying up too late tonight, I went ahead and rode today. It was C-o-l-d, and I don't think the temp got above 40F all day.

• Cheney119 January 1, 2012 at 7:27 am

I rode over Columbia Heights in Longview, 900 ft hill 12 miles. It was cold, but the hill made me sweat so I had to take off my helmet liner and put it back on for the decent. Pretty windy on top and it was clear enough to see a very snowy Mt St Helens.

There was no real chance of rain so I didn't carry raingear. I rode my full touring bike because of the full fenders and rear and handlebar bags for the gear I didn't bring. Bought a 6 pack of Widmer Drifter Pale Ale which got stowed in my rear trunk, then bumped around the last 3 miles home. It tasted just fine though.

Only 20% of rain today. I'll do something a little flatter today

• mh January 1, 2012 at 10:50 am

Just taking a minuscule short hop or two, since the husband is borrowing the car. This will be my first chance to test the complete human-powered lighting system. Had the wheel and headlight working last week, but didn't get the taillight wired and bolted on until last night. Dark season holiday gift to myself. Makes me smile.

• Joe January 3, 2012 at 9:10 am