BikeCraft not just for Portland makers anymore

Posted by on November 29th, 2011 at 2:38 pm

This weekend!
(Photo: Adams Carroll)

When I first held BikeCraft on that snowy evening way back in December 2005, besides an excuse to bring people together and hang out with friends, my main goal was prove the following point: “Look at all this amazing bike stuff that’s made by hand right here in Portland!”

In subsequent years I stayed mostly true to that, only allowing Portland-based vendors to participate (although last year we welcomed several from out-of-town). In the six years that have followed, I think we’ve proved the point quite well.

This year, my friends Aaron and Amos (who have taken the reins of the BikeCraft event) have lined up an impressive list of vendors from out of town. Here’s a closer look at them…

MALENKOST – Vancouver, BC
Malenkost will bring an assortment of messenger bags, “hobo” bags, and other handy bike accessories like pant straps, u-lock holsters and hip bags:

This one is made with waxed canvas.
Leopard and velveteen are a magical combination.

Mopha – Seattle, WA
Mohpa‘s tool roll was, “crafted and manufactured in Seattle for the discriminating cyclist.” Looks very, very nice to me:

DiSanto Clothing – San Francisco, CA
DiSanto makes a line of distinctive “casquettes” (which is French for cap):

Pinch Flat Designs – Bend, OR

They describe this one as a “suit for your head”.

Cyclical Designs – Seattle, WA

Rubber Revolution – Seattle, WA

These are just a few of the nearly 60 vendors that will be at BikeCraft this Saturday and Sunday (December 3-4). Check out BikeCraftPDX.com for all the details of what is sure to be an amazing event.

Comments
  • Jim Labbe November 29, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I love BikeCraft.

• Caroline November 29, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I love local.

• Amos November 29, 2011 at 3:33 pm

We love local, too!

Actually, BikeCraft *has* featured out-of-towners in the past (Tarot helmets, Urbane Innovations, and Solar Cycle ring a bell from last year). Of course, the focus of this show will always be local, but we want folks from neighboring areas to be able to show their stuff, too, as this is the only show of it’s kind out there. Maybe if we wish hard enough we can sprout little BikeCrafts all over the land!!!

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) November 29, 2011 at 3:56 pm

It’s true Amos! Thanks for pointing that out. I edited the story a bit to reflect that yes, non-Portland vendors have attended in the past.

• Ayleen November 29, 2011 at 3:42 pm

What Caroline said!!

• Nathan November 29, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I picked up one of the Mopha tool rolls (with a red strap) when I was in Seattle two weeks ago! It holds more than I thought it would, resulting in a backpack that has never been so tidy.

Thanks for the post (and for helping organize), I hadn’t heard of BikeCraft and now I have this to look forward this weekend!

• Andy November 29, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Locals good….expanding selection is good too! Just make sure you keep it the same weekend as Holiday Ale Festival in the future! Makes the trip up from Reno doubly worth it!

• Brian E November 30, 2011 at 9:37 am

Aaron and Amos are taking Bikecraft to a new level!