Wet and windy commute: Did you ride? Stay dry?

Posted by on November 22nd, 2011 at 9:43 am

A wet Esplanade.
(Photo © J. Maus)

This morning was by far the wettest and windiest ride I’ve had into work all year. And you?

Despite my best attempt to stay dry, I arrived at my office pretty much soaked through the lower half of my body. I knew it might happen (my J & G rain paints stopped being waterproof months ago) so I brought an extra pair of pants.

My four mile ride from North Portland into downtown was pretty lonely. I didn’t see many other bikes out there. The conditions must be scaring folks away. Can’t blame them I guess. As I rode over the Broadway Bridge, strong wind gusts made me swerve a bit and I was pedaling hard even on the downhill.

Here’s what people shared with us via Twitter this morning…

@keviniano: “I did. No other bikes when I arrived to work (usually 3 or so). At least it was warm. It’s wet AND cold that kills me.”

@jocelyntutak: “Brutal is the word — but I couldn’t help laughing at the ridiculousness of it. Made it over the B’way bridge at 10 mph!”

@garrettmoon: “Yup, I think they scheduled the Worst Day of the Year Ride on the wrong day.”

@theta444: “I rode, to the bus stop & that was enuf. :) Sandy was a swimming pool. A dirty, dirty swimming pool.”

@anomalily: “rode, but I wasn’t happy about it. 10 miles, completely soaked with a headwind the whole way. Two of my co-workers rode too.”

@yusebio: “Rode in this morning. Brutal. Even going downhill I felt like I had to push.”

@poetas: “the wind was nasty, have to be ready to react to gusts.”

@eBikeStore: “we are all playing hooky”

I’ve heard reports of huge puddles on the Going St. bike boulevard, at SE 12th and Hawthorne, and on N. Rosa Parks Way near I-5. I’d love to hear from more of you about the conditions and/or whether or not you rode at all.

Use the comments to share your experiences and to report conditions.

Comments
  • Dave November 22, 2011 at 9:47 am

My feet, the bottom couple inches of my pants, and part of my hair are still drying out, but the rest of me stayed mostly dry over my 4.5 mile ride. The wind was nasty though, there were moments I almost couldn’t pedal forward (the poncho doesn’t help with that on days like this). Nice not having to take extra clothes though. Thankfully it’s not often this rainy and this windy at the same time.

• Stephanie November 22, 2011 at 9:48 am

I rode to work, hardly saw any cyclists along the way in. I stayed dry Thanks to my Showers Pass Elite 2.0 jacket and Storm Pants. Sound like you could use some new rain pants Jonathan.

• S November 22, 2011 at 5:11 pm

That’s interesting…my SP jacket this morning was pretty much a total fail. I haven’t waterproofed it in a while, but still…after spending that kind of money, I was not happy…!

• Stretchy November 22, 2011 at 9:52 am

How long does your waterproof gear typically last (ie. stay waterproof) and, is there any way to keep it waterproof or re-proof it?

• JA November 22, 2011 at 10:03 am

I’d say most gear will stay waterproof through about 2-3 trips in the washing machine. Absent vigorous washing it can last a few years.

There are several re-sealers on the market that work reasonably well. The ones that you pour into the washing machine with all your waterproof gear are pretty convenient and effective. The spray on stuff is messy and smells like something toxic you shouldn’t be breathing IMHO.

• JM November 22, 2011 at 11:34 am

I used to work at an outdoor clothing store and I became pretty familiar with the properties of waterproof outerwear. To put it simply, unless your outerwear came from Wal-Mart, it should last for quite a while! It’s important to note waterproof clothing often appears like it’s no longer waterproof because the face fabric gets inundated with water and you feel wet. While it may appear broken, there’s actually a laminate fabric on the inside that’s keeping water out, but since the nylon shell fabric is saturated, the laminate is no longer breathing which causes sweat to condense.

To fix this, you’ll need to reapply the durable water repellent (DWR) coating to the nylon shell using sprays or wash-in chemicals from companies like Nikwax or Grangers. These sprays will cause the water to beed up and roll off which preserves breathability and helps keep you dry. Alternatively, you can throw your garment in the dryer on a low heat setting for a few minutes which revives some of the factory-applied DWR.

While reapplying the DWR solves most problems, sometimes there’s issues with the design of the waterproof clothing that shortens the life of the garment. Lower cost waterproof breathable outerwear is generally less durable and not as well designed. For example, poor placement of seams can channel water towards your body rather than away.

While name brand textiles like gore-tex and event are more expensive, they are generally more durable and the manufacturers who use these laminates put more time into the design of the garment so they fit better. Personally, I purchased (disclosure: employee discount) waterproof Arc’Teryx top and bottoms which haven’t failed me through skiing, rainy bike commuting, and hiking. They’re expensive, but the fit and durability are unparalleled.

Finally, layering is a critical component in staying dry. Even if you have great outerwear, sweat can saturate you from the inside. On longer rides where you know you’ll work up a sweat, ditch the cotton and wear wool or polyester. Layer sensibly– you probably need less clothing than you think you need.

• af November 22, 2011 at 3:57 pm

your waterproof gear should last many many washings. 2-3 is unacceptable. also, washing your gear should improve its performance by washing grime (dirt, sweat, etc) out of pores that allow your sweat to evaporate minimizing sweat induced dampness. with that being said, a spray on dwr is recommended as a ‘pour in’ type can also clog these pours (on the inside layer of the jacket) leaving you a sweaty mess.

• Alan 1.0 November 22, 2011 at 11:53 am

I just retired a Marmot Goretex lightweight shell after about 11 years. I washed it when it’s dirty (several times a year) and refinished it several times (NikWax) and doing that again might have made it work for another year, but it saturated quickly (that’s what refinishing might have helped) and was starting to weep slightly over the shoulder blades (pack straps; not fixable) and it had some physical damage. Before that my Northface Goretex shell lasted a year or three longer, but with a very damp patch in the middle of the back (again, backpack related). I went with Arcteryx this time.

• liddell November 22, 2011 at 9:54 am

Simply sopping! I miscalculated the depth of one of the leaf-blocked-drain lakes and got my shoes dunked past my ankles. Right before by last turn an old guy -maybe 80- waved and smiled as he rode in the opposite direction. It was awesome.

• vic November 22, 2011 at 9:58 am

Head to toe raingear plus goggles allowed me to make the 3 mile commute to PSU and arrive dry on the inside. There were very few fellow bikers on the bridge. Not cold is a good thing.

• Stacy November 22, 2011 at 9:59 am

There are several large puddles covering the road at various points from Seven Corners through Ladd’s Addition to the Hawthorne Bridge. It’s going to be a dodgy ride home in the dark.

• Nick November 22, 2011 at 10:01 am

So windy the rain pushed past the rubber flaps on the waterproof zipper of my Endura jacket. That was a first. But not bad, all in all. Glad it’s not 10 degrees colder.

• Galen November 22, 2011 at 10:02 am

There’s a tree down across a powerline just N of Barbur. Don’t bike under it.

• Shane November 22, 2011 at 10:07 am

My coworker and I challenged each other yesterday so we both felt like we had to live up to it today. My normally waterproof gloves were soaked through, but I was surprised to find that I was otherwise dry under my gear. Didn’t see too many others out though.

• Phil November 22, 2011 at 10:09 am

I rode in, but for the first time ever, wished I had just taken the MAX. Rain cape was pretty ineffective with this much wind and rain. I need to get some shoe protection too. I have rainpants, but I’m not that psyched about them, since I still just get wet… instead of rain it’s sweat. I think I prefer rain to sweat. I also need to get some waterproof gloves. Any recommendations for waterproof gloves or shoe covers?

• Natalie November 22, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Might not be a popular answer but my leather gloves have done the trick so far.

• Paul Manson November 22, 2011 at 10:10 am

I rode in with my 4 yo daughter on the Bobike to get to PSU. I was soaked from the waist down. Upper body was ok. Kiddo was in full snowsuit with trashbag over the top and that did the trick. Her hair was dry and she was warm! (I think I absorb most of the rain as we ride anyway.

Ladds and SE Harrison are starting to fill up with water, about half a foot in places.

• oliver November 22, 2011 at 10:18 am

Took the Max, disappointed that I missed out on the fun.

• Matt November 22, 2011 at 10:18 am

Stayed nice and dry but the wind really forced me to lean into some of my turns!

• Jram November 22, 2011 at 10:22 am

I stayed mostly dry, but the wind was the craziest for me. I felt like I would have come to a complete stop on the downhill on N Interstate if I’d have stopped pedaling. I passed only slightly fewer bikes than usual between NOPO and John’s Landing. I definitely enjoyed the puddle splashing.

• Aaron November 22, 2011 at 10:26 am

Yeah, I rode in. But, no, I didn’t stay dry. Fortunately, water comes out easy in the wash :)

• Alan 1.0 November 22, 2011 at 11:32 am

Or use drycleaning.

• bikeyvol November 22, 2011 at 10:27 am

Am considering wearing a PFD on the ride home today. Waterfront park has several large puddles that are only growing. Not many folks riding in today – but I’ll feel like a little kid riding through all them puddles on the way home for sure!! Can’t wait!

• dan November 22, 2011 at 10:27 am

I’ve switched to PVC raingear for really wet days. It doesn’t breathe at all, but it’s 100% waterproof forever, and it costs a fraction of Gore-Tex or other waterproof breathable fabrics. I wouldn’t want to wear it for a long day in the saddle, but for my 4 mile commute, it’s perfect.

My feet just get wet — on a day like today, I bike in with no socks, then dry my feet and put on socks when I get to work. I have holes in the uppers of my biking shoes now, so I’m not going to have dry feet no matter what. :-)

• Jeff November 23, 2011 at 12:04 am

Dan – I used to have the same problem with wet feet. I bought a pair of keen rubber sandals and some waterproof scuba socks. Seems to be doing the trick over the past year and a half. I never have to worry about soggy shoes and my feet stay mostly dry, usually only a little damp from sweat.

• Carl November 22, 2011 at 10:27 am

Huge puddles all through the Lloyd district too — mostly leaf-blocked storm drains. I had my new rain pants on, which helped, but it still runs into your shoes, no matter what. Walking around the office in sock feet for now.

• Demian Ebert November 22, 2011 at 10:30 am

The commutte from Sellwood was pretty lonely this morning. Passed one recumbant the entire trip. A downed tree (on SE 9th) that forced me onto the sidewalk for a bit. Stayed 90% dry thanks to full raingear. Toes were wet because of water coming up through the shoes at the cleats and my head of course (I’d bake under a helmet cover). It was the first time I’ve ever had to wring my gloves out at the office though. The gear: Gore jacket, Specialized WP gloves, Showers Pass pants, Bontrager shoe covers. Hopefully it lets up before I have to go home.

• Richard November 22, 2011 at 10:32 am

I rode. It’s only four miles to downtown from SE, mostly on the Springwater trail. Saw a couple of other riders. I can shower and change at work, so getting wet isn’t a big deal. Gusting winds, however, are a bit unnerving.

• Josh Berezin November 22, 2011 at 10:36 am

I was worried the bakfiets with rain cover would get blown over — it acts like a sail. So I bussed today. But walking and waiting outside gave me a good chance to field-test the new waterproof Campers I bought the other day. Thumbs up for those!

• ac November 22, 2011 at 10:39 am

i stayed pretty dry, mostly sweaty since it wasn’t that cold. as with everyone, wind was the real challenge. not too many puddles tho fremont/10th is looking like it wants to flood up from leaves.

my commuter tip, push some thumbtacks into the underside of your desk behind your cpu. hang socks and hat. lay out shoes with insoles pulled out directly behind cpu or as near as possible

the cpu’s heat and fan do a pretty good job of drying stuff out during the day

• Katie Taylor November 22, 2011 at 10:41 am

You know how they have mudrooms in old buildings? We need to start having those again! There is nowhere in a modern office to put wet clothes. I ended up spreading mine out over some traffic cones someone stashed in an unused cubicle, but lord, after that ride this morning, they will not be dry by 5pm. 8 miles, unrelenting wind and rain and standing pools of water full of mucky leaves (if you are riding the NW section of Naito Pkwy, watch for standing water on the west side of the street). I saw a few other hardy souls, but not many. Interesting mix of crazy, careless drivers and super-conscientious ones. Be careful, everyone!

• Christianne November 22, 2011 at 10:44 am

I bussed it this morning. I didn’t take into account, however, that I would get just as wet as I would have on a bike on my half-mile walk to the bus stop.

• Dave November 22, 2011 at 10:52 am

There were some pretty massive puddles, and since it hasn’t stopped raining at all, there are probably some spots where the entire road is going to be flooded on the way home. Go slowly and don’t surprise yourself :)

• rootbeerguy November 22, 2011 at 11:03 am

i did ride this morning. it was not the worst (my opinion). I was slightly soaked. my gloves are supposed to be waterproofed but completely soaked. I wore a pair of rain chaps. A bit wet around knees. (I wore a pair of knickers.) I used a pair of boot covers. my socks were a bit wet. I know what I wanted for Christmas: better gloves.

• PDXRon November 22, 2011 at 11:06 am

I got a tailwind riding north on the Springwater. Hit 20 MPH with little effort.

• jocko November 22, 2011 at 11:07 am

Here is my tip: put some flat pedals on (if you are commuter clipless) and buy some barn boots at bi-mart . your feet will never be wet on your commute again!

• jeff November 22, 2011 at 11:13 am

I rode. I should have driven probably.
    feet got the worst of it even through good neoprene booties. relatively warm temps though so I barehanded it with no problem. tonight will be a different story.

• Paulie November 22, 2011 at 11:19 am

I took the bus, as much to placate my fiance, who worries when I ride in bad weather, as to avoid the wet and wind. Three blocks to the bus stop, with the rain coming in the open end of the shelter, and my pants were pretty wet.

With my head-to-toe rainproof cycle wear, I think I would have been drier if I had biked in. At least my work clothes would have been dry in my panniers.

The rain doesn’t suck, but the wind BLOWS!

• SilkySlim November 22, 2011 at 11:22 am

Waking up, the weather sounded, thanks to the gusting winds, way worse than it actually was. Fingers crossed my gear can dry out in time for the ride home!

• BURR November 22, 2011 at 11:23 am

Meh, what’s a bit of rain? This is Portland, isn’t it?

• laura minor November 22, 2011 at 11:53 am

riding my faired LWB recumbent over the Hawthorne bridge was exciting!mt new Shower’s pass raingear passed the test and kept me dry

• Argentius November 22, 2011 at 11:59 am

Dry? Ah, no. Not dry. After 25 miles nothing will be effective, so I switch to trying to keep the drops off of bare skin, and staying as warm as possible while wet. It was not cold, so, it was all right. 10 degrees colder would’ve been miserable.

• Martha November 22, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I got soaked walking the dog before I even got on my bike, so a bit more rain didn’t change much. Totally fun commute with the rain dumping, leaves swirling, and wind pounding. That was the BEST TAILWIND EVER!! I’m glad we’ve got a shower at work, though.

• Chris W November 22, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I managed to stay dry thanks to my mtn hardware epic jacket and gortex northwave fahrenheit gtx shoes. I did feel like I almost got blown over edge on the hawthorne bridge when I went to wipe off my glasses. Not looking forward to my ride home south on the springwater. Ugh.

• KJ November 22, 2011 at 12:35 pm

6 miles, Concordia to SE industrial, no major issues, a few grumpy drivers, crossing 84 at 20th was windy but not as bad as yesterday, headwind annoying but not terrible. Arrived relativity dry (need new rain pants, seams starting to leak). Not a bad ride at all, fewer fellow commuters than usual though. Took about an extra 10 min due to headwind.
    Overall, had a fun ride. Love this kind of rain. no complaints.

• Bikesalot November 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm

An eleven mile minimum route with a mountain at each end was to much for me – I drove today. My bike has the same problem in sidewinds as Laura’s. The other problem is the greatly increased bike maintenance from riding wet. I have enough trouble keeping up with maintenance even in good weather.

• Roger Horner November 22, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I ride about 12 miles each way and the I5 bridge is just too narrow with winds that could make it up to 40mph.

• Glenn November 22, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I rode as usual from Vancouver across the I-205 bridge to my work at PDX. The wind slowed me down to 8 mph down the bridge, and pedaling hard at that. Looking forward to the ride home — I should be able to zip up the bridge.

I stayed pretty dry. I wear the Gore Wear Paclite jacket. It is very lightweight and waterproof. I wear it both as a windbreaker on cooler summer days and even in temps down to 10 degrees F. in winter. I layer underneath as appropriate. As for footwear, I switched to SPD-compatible sandals 5 years ago. My feet have never been drier or warmer. I wear SealSinkz waterproof socks. On a relatively warm rainy day like today, I wear a pair of light wool socks underneath. On days when the temps drop into the teens, I wear a heavy pair of Merino wook socks over those. Feet stay warm and comfy (and dry) on my 1 1/2 hour commute (one way).

• Editz November 22, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Nobody in PDX has ever heard of Granger’s?

• beck November 22, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I rode the I-5 bridge last night into portland around midnight and it was gnarly. Fighting with the wind to avoid becoming a human ping pong ball on the bridge is no bueno. Funny thing though. I have a $69 pair of Novara pants that stayed fairly dry and a $250 arcteryx jacket that felt like i was wearing a wet towel. Rawkin! Keep dry friends!

• Brett M. November 22, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Rode 7.5 miles from University Park to downtown. Gusts on Willamette kept me leaning to the right just to stay upright. Could’ve kayaked down Greeley.
    Pants from Craft of Sweden soaked through below the knee (but still warm). Gore jacket kept my top dry with just a little soak through in the forearms. Best discovery yet: neoprene gloves from NRS.

Gonna be a SWEET tailwind on the way back home tonight.

• Tony H November 22, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Where was everybody today?

Showers pass jacket (forth season), LL Bean rain pants (5th season), and LL Bean shoes (second season) worked fine. The Bean items were actually fairly cheap. The shoes were sold as a sort of “walking in the snow” shoe. They look like a clunky all purpose training shoe, but have really kept my feet warm and dry. Oh – cheap motorcycle winter gloves have worked for the past 5 years. They were awful on the motorcycle, but work great on a bicycle.

My commute is only 4 1/2 miles. I do think that a longer commute would’ve resulted in my getting wet.

• Ben Guernsey November 22, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Todays ride was by far not the worst. Wet, but at least not frigid.

Just bought some Specialized Radiant gloves, they are great.

I used to have a Showers Pass elite jacket, but the waterproofing died. So my cheap jacket just doesnt breathe, and I was feeling a bit gross. Maybe time to pony up for a new GOOD jacket.

• davemess November 22, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I was lucky and had a tailwind almost the entire ride this morning (headed North). The way home might be a different story. I hate having things still wet when I put them on to go home. Maybe I”ll have to buy a 2nd pair of shoe warmers for work. The warmers at home work well.

• Natalie November 22, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I use the plastic bags that my morning newspaper comes in as cheap waterproof booties for my feet. Rubber bands hold them to my calves. I look like an idiot, but I prefer it to buying yet another bike accessory.

• Sam Chase November 22, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I rode in and got soaked!! I thought my pants were waterproof….I guess not :-)

• Anna November 22, 2011 at 2:40 pm

A bit wet, yes, but I counted at least 6-7 others commuters stopped w/me at the Broadway bridge light. Worst part was the wet leaves on the downhill part of N. Interstate, but am really looking forward to the tailwind going home ! take xtra socks and gloves in addition to the change of clothes for work.

• bdh November 22, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Rode in today, and got soaked. Was having a really good time, too, until some woman pulled up dangerously close to me near 2nd/Morrison, nearly clipping me with her Jeep’s mirror, so she could yell at me to “share the road.” This is while moving, in heavy traffic, me caught stuck between her car and the parked vehicles on the left as she yells out her window to overtakes me.

Despite that, it was great.

• MeghanH November 23, 2011 at 9:24 am

I think that same lady yelled at me for taking the lane on SW 2nd near Morrison recently…dark jeep cherokee, right? She screamed at me to “move over.” (She does know there are three lanes open to her on 2nd, right?)

• George Harvey November 22, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I rode, and most of the regulars in the bike room did the same. I wasn’t TOO wet, but my new jacked doesn’t breath as much as I’d like…oh well. One new fall cycling activity…when I’m stopped at the corner waiting for the light to change it’s a good time to dismount and clear the leaves out of the drains. Makes me feel like a little kid…

• Chris November 22, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I rode about 4-miles this morning, and oddly, I enjoyed it. I used an old pair of Sierra Design rain pants, and my bombproof Endura rain jacket for the ride, but I definitely need some booties for my feet. By the way, does anyone here use a rain cape? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

• Dave November 22, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I have a big cloth poncho that goes over the handlebars in front. To me the only real downside is on a windy day like today, it adds wind resistance. Big advantage, I can just put it on over what I’m wearing to work, and basically only my head and feet get significantly wet. You also don’t need to wear gloves with it unless it’s REALLY cold, because your hands are covered completely.

It’s probably not the best option for everyone, but it works pretty well for me.

• TonyH November 23, 2011 at 7:58 am

I had a cape for a couple of years. I really didn’t like it. Wind is too problematic, and the thumb hooks would sometimes cause the cape to get hung up on the handlebars. I didn’t feel safe this way: An emergency dismount wouldn’t be possible. Sometime rain would pool on the cape in front, and a gust of wind from a passing car would splash this in my face. Stopping somewhere, stowing the cape was a pain. Leaving it on was even worse.

My experience, at least.

• resopmok November 22, 2011 at 3:52 pm

used a showers pass jacket and “rainlegs” chaps, so the bottoms and sides of my pants got a little wet along with my shoes, but all in all not too bad. idk when everyone commutes, but it wasn’t raining overly hard while i was out there at 6:30a. the ride home only had a small spot of rain though the wind out of the south provided some challenge.. i usually get dried out pretty quick anyway though, working in front of the stove all morning.

• Lenny Anderson November 22, 2011 at 3:59 pm

A good test this AM of my gear…adidas water proof jacket, cheap rain pants from Next Adventure, and plastic bags over my shoes. Its the wind the got me, blowing rain up under my jacket to a new leak in the crotch of my rain pants. Bummer! Brought back memories of a little accident I had in 1st grade.
    But its great to be out in the weather…now it needs to cool off to get more snow up in the mountains. Mt St. Helens, Silver Star and Mt Hood were glorious on Sunday with fresh snow. Weather only a skier could love! But is true, there is no such thing as bad weather, only lousy gear.

• Scott November 22, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I rode in at 8 am and got soaked. NBD. Changed at work. Wets should be dry enough for the ride home at 6.

• Scott November 22, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Oh yeah, I also rode through a puddle on MLK and Morris (East side of the street) that was up to my hubs. 700c wheels. Big kid fun.

• JRB November 22, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I don’t mind it cold, but I hate riding in a steady rain. The bus stops two blocks from my house and one from my office. Just too convenient on a day like today. Besides, its the only time I get any reading done anymore.

• Tim w November 22, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Rode the short, 1 mile ride from my place to PCC Cascade. In that 7 or 8 mile ride my jeans look like they came straight out of the wash… Indeed, I think it’s time to get out my waterproof pants.

• Scott November 22, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Bridgeport Village to Sherwood last night, thoroughly soaked!

• Kevin Wagoner November 22, 2011 at 7:26 pm

The ride today was wet. I’m looking for a new pair of booties. No major puddles from SW Barber/Terwilliger down through Corbett, past OHSU (on new cycle track), across the Steel Bridge to work.

• Julie November 22, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I rode 7 miles round-trip to work in knee-high boots, wool jodhpurs, and an Eddie Bauer rain jacket. Arrived at work warm and mostly dry, and home completely dry.

• rider.from.lao November 22, 2011 at 8:36 pm

My morning ride from NE to Beaverton was wet and fun. Only one other was to be found. The return trip was mostly dry and boring.

• Mindful Cyclist November 22, 2011 at 9:14 pm

If I had not had to get across town for another appointment, I would have thought about it. I am hoping this appointment turns out as a transfer from my current position to a location that is less than a mile from my place.

• Doug Morgan November 22, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I got a bike cape on e-bay for $15 last week and gave it a try then. It’s like riding under a tent. Stayed amazingly dry, but the weather was 10x as bad today. It won’t win any beauty contests. That’s why I don’t enter beauty contests, aren’t many mirrors out there anyway.

• Alex Williams November 22, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I went out for a ride from our house in St. Johns. I work at home and try to get out for at least an hour during the day. I wore shorts. I knew I would be wet anyway. Willamette Drive had leaves in the bike path and gusty winds made for a wobbly ride. The biggest danger was a truck that almost backed into me at N. Williams and Alberta and a car that cut a corner at N. Vancouver and Bryant. Do drivers just convince themselves that bicyclists won’t be out on such a rainy day?

• was carless November 22, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I need a new helmet and foot booties, but yes, I am riding most days.

I actually stay pretty dry from the rain, except that I have not yet solved the problem of being wet from perspiration. I am thinking of giving up on messenger bags. :(

• Hugh Johnson November 23, 2011 at 6:22 am

I stayed dry. I’ve been driving. 10 miles each way is no fun in this weather and there is no place to store wet rain gear where I work.

• Mark P November 23, 2011 at 7:28 am

The Broadway cycle track looked like a stream as I rode up it yesterday, it was crazy.

• Barbara November 23, 2011 at 8:13 am

The rain is one thing (yes it was pretty bad), but I was even more worried about the leaves and clogged drainages. I commute to OHSU via Terwilliger and it’s just bad at this time of the year. From the bus I could see the mountains of leaves and the streams going down the bike lanes because the drainages were clogged. I will deal with the rain again when the leaves a gone.

• Robert Watling November 23, 2011 at 8:31 am

Rode TO work 9pm the 21st, FROM work 7am the 22nd. On the way out I saw tree split down the middle of the trunk and fall onto SE Clinton around 35th. I got to work wet. Got home wet. Cheap raingear. The pants leak along the inseams. Gloves soaked through. To me it’s just part of the ride. I’d rather ride in the rain and wind than drive or ride the bus. My commute is 5.5 miles each way. No better way to go.

• Sarah November 23, 2011 at 10:40 am

I rode in around 10:45 from SE Belmont to NE Broadway. Saw one guy in a cape braving Sandy. I got soaked, my rain pants don’t work anymore and I forgot to wear my duck boots so my leather ones just squished all the way into work. I enjoyed being out even on a terrible day. Proud to be a cyclist.

• esther c November 23, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Didn’t ride, but there is something to be said about a simple ride to work being an adventure. That does have its charms. I almost felt like it was an adventure driving to the store the weather was so bad.