Sunset Cycles to expand with second store in Beaverton

Posted by on May 9th, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Sunset’s new location.
(Photo: Sunset Cycles)

Citing steady sales growth, Sunset Cycles owner Roger Colwell announced today that he plans to open a second shop in June.

Colwell has owned Sunset Cycles, which is in the Bethany area of unincorporated Washington County just west of Portland city limits, since 2003. The shop boasts a perfect location, with miles of rural roads in one direction and the challenging climbs of the West Hills in the other.

Back in December, shop staffer Matt Magee became the first Specialized Certified Master BG FIT Technician in the Pacific Northwest. Along with high-end bikes and fit services, Sunset is known as a classic neighborhood shop. Their main bike brands are Specialized, Felt, and Redline.

Colwell says the new location in Beaverton will be modeled after the successful Bethany store. It will be located at the corner of Scholls Ferry Road and Barrows Road in southwest Beaverton (16305 SW Barrows Road, Suite 200).

Comments
  • peejay May 9, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Wow, what an unflattering picture of a bike shop. I see a generic building in a parking lot with two cars in front. I can’t even detect any bike parking in sight. I don’t know what to say, other than I’ll never understand how people live in the suburbs.

• Matt May 10, 2011 at 8:38 am

peejay-
      I see that they’re planning to open the store sometime in June. Might it be fair to assume that it’s still a work in progress?

• neptronix May 11, 2011 at 11:40 am

Hm, i have no problems living in the suburbs ( central beaverton ), it’s not that hard!

Lots of cool farm roads to conquer here.
      Going to portland via beav-hillsdale / terwilliger is great excersize.

Lots of cool shops scattered around means a good opportunity for either pedaling or taking the electric bike out for a spin. Big oversized stores out in the middle of nowhere makes for great bike parking and no worries of theft as i can park my bike inside the store 90% of the time.

Suburbs aren’t all that bad. Now, i do certainly wish we had better bike lanes on beaverton-hillsdale hwy and other places though.

• NW Biker May 9, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I live near this shop and I didn’t know for years that it was there. It’s actually a really nice shop, and the guys who work there have been great when I’ve gone in. But yeah, the building lacks charm, which doesn’t reflect on the store at all.

• Alex May 9, 2011 at 9:09 pm

They sold my friend a bike that was too large for her, without even telling her. She thought it was ok, but when I saw how she couldn’t even properly stand over the bike, I was shocked. Not only that, she has to keep the seat low.

I never went back to their shop. I just hope they don’t do this stuff again.

• marshmallow May 9, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Good shops will sell oversized bikes to growing kids. How old is your friend?

• Alex May 11, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Old enough that she’s in college with me right now.

• Brad May 10, 2011 at 10:45 am

True to form, peejay gets off a missive about the ‘burbs and those that live there. Beaverton could declare Hall Blvd. off limits to motorized vehicles all the way to Tigard plus pass strong cyclist protections and he’d gripe that the suburbs are a blight on humanity. I picture him as “Bicycle Rights!!! / … is OVER!” guy from “Portlandia”. Angry at everything!

For what it’s worth, I can’t understand why anyone who rides a bike chooses to live in an urban landscape dominated by auto traffic, poor sightlines, uncountable potholes, and stop signs every other block. I’ll just make do with the miles of virtually deserted farm roads to ride just minutes from my suburban abode.

Sunset is a great shop and it is a good sign for our local bike economy that they have enough traffic to open a second location. Best wishes to Roger and Matt!

• Erik May 11, 2011 at 2:03 pm

This location should do well with the amount of riders that ride in that area, especially on the weekends. It will be the nearest shop to my house!

• Ralph Cabeza August 10, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I just learned that they lost Matt, their Certified bike fitter. I wonder what’s going on and who is doing their fitting?