SKS makes our Get Togethers possible

Join us for a Get Together in Lents

Posted by on March 18th, 2011 at 10:28 am

East Portland Sunday Parkways-47
Lents here we come!
(Photo © J. Maus)

I’m very excited to announce that our monthly Get Together event is coming to Lents — the “crossroads of the Eastside.”

Join us at Lents Commons (9201 SE Foster Rd) on March 30th from 5:30 to 7:30. We’ll get to know what issues are on the minds of Lents residents and everyone who rides and works in nearby East Portland neighborhoods. From new neighborhood greenways and other projects in the works, to the East Portland in Motion effort being undertaking by the City of Portland — there’s no shortage of topics to discuss.

This event will be a great opportunity to meet other BikePortland readers and possibly even win some bike stuff courtesy of our sponsor, SKS. We’ll have a free prize raffle to give away their awesome fenders, multi-tools, frame pumps and more. Please spread the word about this event to your friends and neighbors and we look forward to seeing you there. Feel free to share topics you’d like to discuss and get the conversation started in the comments below.

Comments
  • Brandon Rhodes March 18, 2011 at 10:56 am

Great! As a resident of lower Lents, I’m excited for our neck of the woods to join the conversation with the rest of Portland. :)

• G. Tyler March 18, 2011 at 10:58 am

Cool, I hope to be there.

• Michweek March 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Poor Lents, food desert and without complete infrastructure. I’m pulling for you guys!! I hope any Lents readers here will join up with the food cooperative movement in that neck of the woods too. What’s the point of traveling by bike when you don’t even have food within distance?

• Nick Christensen March 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Michweek

Thanks for underscoring the crux of the problem. If people don’t have retail and jobs within walking/biking distance, they aren’t going to walk or bike. It’s unreasonable to expect eastsiders to bike to downtown Portland for work or 2-3 miles to the grocery store. So what’s the next best thing?

• laura March 27, 2011 at 2:35 pm

It depends on where you live in Lents….I’m only about a mile, maybe a mile and a half from Fred Meyer, Asian grocery, and about 2 miles from Johnson creek trader joes (which is right off the I205 multi use path). I’m 10 blocks from lents farmers market (of course its only in the summer). I don’t see our n-hood as a total food desert. We don’t live next door to a new seasons, true, but there are a lot of other places. My husband bikes to work on 10th and morrison downtown off the springwater trail. takes him the same amount of time as Max…a lot of people have 10 mile bike commutes.

• Meghan H March 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I will plan to be there, and am interested in seeing if people would like to know more about the development of a bike “comfort station” that’s being explored as part of a site called the Arleta Triangle Project, at SE 72nd & Woodstock Blvd. Possible agenda item for the good of the order…See you Wednesday!