Page Two
Welcome to Page Two; where we post tidbits that aren't quite ready for the Front Page. Want more? Browse the Page Two archives.

New from Amsterdam: ‘Rain couture’

Posted by on March 11th, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I got an interesting press release today from a company named Madame de Pe. They make “rain couture from Amsterdam, designed and tested on Dutch bicycles”. With the amount of rain we get here in Portland and the wide affection for Dutch bicycles, I was curious what you all might think. At about $300 per jacket, they’re not cheap (for comparison, a top-end Showers Pass is about $200).

Check out a few more images…

What do you think? More at Madamedepe.com.

Comments
  • Esther March 11, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I like that they offer some rain coverage as a one piece that you don’t seem to get here (with the typical jacket-pants-booties combo). I often use my Sara Stout produced rain cape for that reason (in a light to medium rain, I don’t need the additional pants and booties, neither of which work so hot with my typical skirt & heels). The hood part only seems useful if you habitually ride without a helmet, which I don’t think most riders here do. The problem with the rain cape (and i’m betting with the ‘deluge’ jacket) is that they act as a windsail when it’s windy out–helpful in a tailwind, not so in a cross or head wind :). Also with the deluge, I look at it and wonder where the heck I would lay it down in a bar, restaurant or movie theater, soaking wet, without pissing everyone else off. Heh.

• Madame de Pé March 14, 2011 at 7:47 am

Hi Esther!
      We keep track on who posts about our new raincouture, and so we read the post on this website and your reply to it! Thanks for visiting our website and I’m glad you liked our designs! Just to let you know, we put curtain weights in the hem of both the poncho and the coat so it won’t blow up in the wind and become a windsail. And yes.. where to leave your wet gear once inside? In light rain the wetness sort of lies on top of the fabric of our coat and poncho, so you can “shake” it off easily and enter any place relatively dry. In any case, thanks again for visiting our site, and hopefully we’ll one day be of use to Portland bikers!

- madame de pé

• spare_wheel March 13, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Rain snuggies.

• Kevin March 15, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Nice looking. Practical. But, it’s not raining in any of the photos…

• bikey mama carie March 16, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Looks like it would well with a bakfeits. The bike box stops most of the wind already & built in “gloves” a bonus + long enough to not catch on the seat. I’ll have to show this to the Mr. !