SKS makes our Get Togethers possible

Join us for a Get Together in North Portland

Posted by on February 10th, 2011 at 4:14 pm

SW Portland Get Together-19
We had a great time at our Get Together last month.
(Photos © J. Maus)

I’m excited to announce this month’s Get Together… On February 22nd, we’ll host our monthly meet-up at the Lucky Lab Tap Room (1700 N. Killingsworth) from 5:30 to 7:30.

We kicked off our 2011 Get Together season last month in Southwest Portland and we can’t wait to bring this event to yet another part of the city. If you live, ride, or work anywhere near the Overlook, Arbor Lodge, Piedmont, or Humboldt neighborhoods, we hope you’ll consider joining us. There is no shortage of issues to discuss in these neighborhoods.

Sharrows on N. Concord-7
The Lucky Lab is right on the
Concord bike boulevard.

The location itself is right on the new Concord Neighborhood Greenway, just a few blocks up from the Safe Routes to School superstars at Beach Elementary. Swan Island is just a stone’s throw away and hopefully we’ll have someone from the Swan Island Bicycle Commuters Group on hand to share what it’s like riding in that industrial zone. We can also talk about what it’s like to ride on Killingsworth Street, a major neighborhood thoroughfare with a ton of shops and cafes. Other topics could include PBOT’s impending public process to improve the bikeway N. Willamette Blvd; suggestions for how to make N. Interstate more comfortable for bicycling; the notorious freeway- on-ramp-bike-lane merge on Greeley, the North Portland Greenway Trail, and more.

In addition to getting you up to speed on neighborhood projects and issues, this event is a great place to connect with other people in your community who care about biking and safe streets. Also, thanks to SKS, we’ll have another prize raffle. It’s free to enter and we’ll give away frame pumps, a multi-tool, fenders, seat bags, and more!

We’ll have a private room (and our own bartender) at the Lucky Lab. They’ve got affordable food and drink and really good pizza, so plan accordingly. See more details on the event listing page. JR and I could really use help spreading the word about this event, so please feel free to email your neighborhood association, co-workers, friends, and neighbors. Look forward to seeing you there!

Comments
  • Allan February 10, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Judging by the neighborhoods you didn’t mention farther south: Are you going to have a get together for Eliot/Boise/Irvington/Lloyd district/Sullivan’s gulch at some point in this series? Just wondering if I should go to this one or hold off

• J.R. (Business Manager) February 10, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Allan, yes. Dates and venues are TBD but we do plan on one closer in that will focus on the neighborhoods you listed.

• C.J. February 11, 2011 at 7:56 am

Looking forward to this meet-up! Should be fun times.

• brian mack February 11, 2011 at 9:44 am

Hi Jonathon,

I plan to attend….but I have a quick question for you that can maybe be answered at the meeting: Why is N. Greely “notoriously dangerous”? Is there data to support this? I ride on N. Greely 5 days a week year round. Despite the fast moving cars, I feel relatively safe because there is so little cross traffic. I suspect you are referring to the fast moving cars that deter a lot of cyclists from riding on Greely. However, I have not seen/heard of many car-car, car-ped, or car-bike accidents on Greely. Lay some data on me if you know otherwise!

Anyway, thats my two cents. See ya at the meeting.

Wishing for a completed N. Portland Greenway Trail,
    Brian

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) February 11, 2011 at 9:54 am

Hi Brian. Glad you’ll be there. My comment about Greeley has to do with the southern portion where people riding southbound must merge across the I-5 on-ramp. Perhaps “dangerous” is the wrong word. I’ll consider editing that sentence. Thanks and look forward to meeting you.

• John Mulvey February 11, 2011 at 10:21 am

FYI, this will conflict with the 50s Bikeway CAC.

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) February 11, 2011 at 10:31 am

That’s fine with me John. This event is intended only for people who work/ride/live in the immediate neighborhood.

• John Mulvey February 11, 2011 at 11:55 am

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor)

Well, I live/ride on the 50s Bikeway route, but I work/ride on Alberta Street. But I’ll try to catch the next one…

• KJ February 11, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I’m wondering if, like Allan asked about, that there will be a NE meeting, Jon didn’t mention Alameda, Concordia, King ,Sabin etc.

• matt picio February 11, 2011 at 1:39 pm

The new brewpub in Woodlawn might be good for that, and would provide an opportunity to discuss among other things, the Holman Bike Boulevard and the “bike-rack-with-a-dead-car-over-it” that some of us have misgivings about.