Go Ducks!

Posted by on January 10th, 2011 at 9:44 am

Portlander Tommy Brooks flying his Oregon Duck colors on the way to work this morning.
(Photo © J. Maus)

Tonight is the Big Game between the Oregon Ducks and the Auburn Tigers to decide the college football national champion. I don’t really follow college football, and I have some mixed feelings about the impact of major sports on universities, but I’m willing to put all that aside for a game like this. I’ll definitely be watching tonight.

Big games like this transcend sport. They bring our state together and these days we need all the common cause and unity we can get.

This morning on my ride into the office I saw Tommy Brooks and his daughter biking down N. Vancouver Ave. Tommy, a lawyer (and BTA Board member) who works downtown, is an Oregon Duck alum and he wore his team jacket with pride.

Enjoy the game… and Go Ducks!

Comments
  • cary mallon January 10, 2011 at 10:13 am

National Forecast: OREGON REIGN

(would give credit for that phrase if I could)

• Spiffy January 10, 2011 at 10:53 am

I’m sorry, just because he is with the BTA doesn’t mean this article ties in with bikes at all… there are other web sites about sports, and I try to avoid them… good enthusiasm, wrong site…

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) January 10, 2011 at 11:03 am

Thanks Spiffy, and just FYI, I could care less if he was from the BTA.. that’s not the point. I just saw him randomly and learned after photographing him that he was on the BTA Board… so I thought I’d mention it.

Sorry you don’t like seeing sports here.

• Spiffy January 10, 2011 at 1:43 pm

don’t be too sorry, it’s your blog… but see Andrew’s comment below, you should have tied it in like that somehow…

just trying to keep you on-track… (:

• Chrystal January 10, 2011 at 11:51 am

I’m a southern girl I was raised in Montgomery AL and grew up a tiger fan. My sister is an alum of Auburn University so im torn. Should be a fun good game!

• Andrew January 10, 2011 at 11:52 am

Spiffy, Jonathan’s point is that this game is about Oregon, and it’s far beyond sports. The new attention, media, sponsors and tourists this game will bring to Oregon and the U of O will benefit us all, and we should be proud of this moment in our state’s history.

• Spiffy January 10, 2011 at 1:42 pm

see, now this is the kind of thing that Jonathan needs to include in his story to tie it in with bikes… thanks!

• A.K. January 10, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I don’t understand why he would have to spell out something so obvious… in fact, not putting such ideas into articles may get reads to draw out such conclusions for themselves, rather than being told what to think, and “why” something “may” be important to something that seems unrelated upon first inspection.

• A.K. January 10, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Sorry, that should be “readers”, not “reads”.

• Spiffy January 11, 2011 at 7:46 am

it’s still not that obvious… I was reading about the NYC bike lanes and their tourist draw, so this could have tied in the tourist draw like that…

I still can’t draw any connection between an away sports game and local bicycling… it’d be nice if I had the time to sit and contemplate but I read this blog at work and have limited time other that absorbing the info in the way it’s presented…

I’d like if I could easily tell how the stories tie into Portland or bicycling, or at least general transportation…

• Joe January 10, 2011 at 11:59 am

GO DUCKS ! :) rolling with my beanie on today.
    what a nice day..

enjoy the ride,
    Joe

• Allan January 10, 2011 at 9:46 pm

:( it was entertaining at least ):

• Paul Johnson January 11, 2011 at 5:54 am

Maybe if the photographer wasn’t standing in the bike lane, he could fit entirely within the lane…

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) January 11, 2011 at 10:04 am

I was biking when I took this photo Paul. Thanks.

• Paul Johnson January 11, 2011 at 11:03 am

Heh, that just brings up more questions than it answers…how’d you manage that while keeping your eyes on the road, and why is the subject riding on the lane line instead of completely moving into one lane or the other like they’re supposed to?

• Mindful Cyclist January 11, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Have to agree. That sounds a lot more dangerous that trying to chat on a cell phone.