Weekend Open Thread

Posted by on August 27th, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Bike traffic on N. Interstate Ave.
(Photo © J. Maus)

The weekend is upon us. Pull up our excellent and jam-packed Weekend Event Guide and plan out your bike fun.

I’ve been in Lake Tahoe, California for the past few days (last-minute family thing, I’ve been writing stories late at night and early morning!), so I won’t be participating in all the great events going on… So, as per usual, share your plans and adventures in the comments below.

Have a great weekend.

Comments
  • Zaphod August 27, 2010 at 11:34 am

Jonathan,
    If you have a mtn bike with you in S Lake Tahoe, you MUST find the trail called, “Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride.” Starts of with some technical sections and gets faster and faster as you roll. You’ll be smiling at the end…guaranteed.

• J.R. (Business Manager) August 27, 2010 at 11:38 am

How about the OBRA Master’s Track Championships at Alpenrose Velodrome.
    Free to spectate, highly entertaining, cheap to race. Last major track event of the season.

• Steve B. August 27, 2010 at 11:50 am

Just past this weekend, there are two important events next week:

Aug 31, 6pm – Write Your Way – Vendetta
    Group letter writing event, more info: http://activerightofway.org

Sept 1, 4pm – Rally for the Bus – City Hall
    Say NO to service cuts and fare increases)

See you there!

• craig August 27, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Visiting the Bike Farm on Saturday, to see if I can get some guidance rebuilding the rear hub (Normandy 5-speed) on my gorgeous ’60′s MAGNEET Sprint Deluxe, Dutch road bike.

• Wayne August 27, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Ridng the Beaverton, Banks and Beyond ride being put on by the BW Bicycle Safety Council. Should be a beautiful ride out to Stub Stewart State Park and back.

• OnTheRoad August 27, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Will be trying to find a route to Hopworks Bike2Beer Fest that doesn’t require riding on Powell or the sidewalk. I may have to walk.

You know Hopworks, that supposedly bike-friendly pub that is located on one of the most un-bike-friendly streets in Portland?

• Jeremy August 27, 2010 at 3:23 pm

re: Bike2Beer Fest – Clinton to 29th and over to Hopworks is about as bike-friendly as they come. The only bad part is crossing Powell but there is a crosswalk there so should be no problem.

• Amos August 27, 2010 at 3:48 pm

@Jeremy: Can’t speak from much experience down there but the HUB site recommends crossing at the light at 26th.

• dare2bsquare August 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Friday evening: BTA Square Dance on North Mississippi

• Patrick August 27, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I also recommend the crossing light at 26th. I go through here every week, and that’s the best way to get across Powell. HUB is in a tough spot where traffic doesn’t have much time to spot a pedestrian (and usually doesn’t care about stopping).

• kenny August 28, 2010 at 11:37 am

Would love it if HOP had opened on Woodstock. :)

• CaptainKarma August 28, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Speaking of crossing Powell- I crossed at 71st to get to Mt. Tabor just a couple of hours ago, whereupon I was almost creamed by a patrol car. He was speeding down the residential side street with no siren, responding to a shooting @ 71st & Powell. Almost got me. I had also been verbally harassed twice by the motoring public just prior to that for no apparent random reason other than it was a nice day(?).

Ah well, I made it all the way up Mt. Tabor without dying, a first for me.

A bad day bicycling is better than a good day at work, Amen!

• sabernar August 29, 2010 at 10:54 pm

#12: “Ah well, I made it all the way up Mt. Tabor without dying, a first for me.” Are you implying that you, in the past, had previously made it to the top of Mt. Tabor WITH dying? ;)

• craig August 30, 2010 at 8:42 am

Star Michael @ the Bike Farm helped me out a bunch, guided me graciously, and demonstrated a knowledge of bike-foo that only comes with experience.

Bike Farm good.

• Neil August 30, 2010 at 11:26 am

The Beaverton, Banks and Beyond ride was great. A nice little headwind aside, the weather was perfect and the route was mostly great. A couple roads on the route back weren’t a great choice, but whatever. The ride was a lot of fun.

• Wayne August 30, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Neil@15

It was a lot of fun, especially the stretch on the Banks Vernonia trail coming back, and the nice tailwind too.
    The weather was perfect. I need to go back out to Stub Stewart and do some mountain biking on the trails.