Seen on Portland's streets: Free help, beer signage, and air

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on August 4th, 2010 at 11:37 am

Spotted on NE MLK and Tillamook.
(Photo: Amos Hunter)

I've been trying to get a handle on my inbox of late, and in doing so I've come across a few neat photos that I figured would be fun to share.

The first one comes from BikePortland staffer Jonathan "J.R." Reed (yes, the only person on my staff has the same name with the same spelling -- that's why I call him J.R.). He spotted a community bike pump outside the Rose Quarter offices of the Portland Trail Blazers...

(Photo: Jonathan Reed)

Turns out the pump was put there through a partnership between the Rose Quarter and the amazing, bike-encouraging folks at the Lloyd District Transportation Management Association.

The next photos come from new contributor Amos Hunter. Amos spotted free bike repair set up last week in the parking lot on the northeast corner of MLK Jr. Blvd. and Tillamook. Perhaps they were inspired by Dan Sloan?

He also spotted a sharrow on SE Salmon that has a special bonus for beer lovers...

I love these little scenes of a healthy bike city. If you come across any, send them to us and I'll share them when I can.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Todd Boulanger August 4, 2010 at 11:40 am

Looks like Larry is the wrench in the photo?

• Todd Boulanger August 4, 2010 at 11:41 am

And that is a nice bracket for the pump...where did they find it?

• peejay August 4, 2010 at 11:46 am

Love the beer stencils. They're on all the downhill sharrows on Salmon, but not the uphill ones. Wonder if a certain "Team" has anything to do with them?

• Amos August 4, 2010 at 11:52 am

I've started to notice quite a few of these new sharrows are getting adopted/customized by their community (perhaps inspired by the Bike Temple's periodic sidewalk chalking of their own). There is one on SE Taylor with some great looking reflective tape detail as well.

• Paul Tay August 4, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Schweeeeet pump! I waaaaaaaaannaaaaaaa steal yo' pump.

• joe adamski August 4, 2010 at 9:34 pm

better file the threads on that muffler clamp holding the pump in place, or Paul or one of his buddies gonna snag that baby!

• meteorite August 5, 2010 at 9:04 am

Larry is the fellow you'll meet at MLK & Tillamook and he's a great resource! He taught me how to adjust my internal 8-speed hub as he performed the task. He tells me that he'll be there 2-6 pm weekdays through August.

• Carter August 5, 2010 at 2:17 pm

There are a bunch of sharrows on Salmon with the beer stencil added.

• Tom Daly August 5, 2010 at 4:19 pm

The mechanic out on MLK and Tillamook is the one and only Larry Myers! He's quite talented and will fix you up for free.

I'd also like to add that the workstand and parts ordering are all provided by me, WTFbikes!

Woohoo for synergy!

• mh August 5, 2010 at 10:29 pm

#4 - are you referring to the sharrow on Taylor around 43rd with the Greek keys? What's the blue symbol at its apex?

The "beer" addition was direction to the Oregon Brewers' Festival. I wanted a series in the opposite direction with the * "phlush"
    logo.

• mh August 5, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Since my link failed, try it again. (I hate not being able to preview my posts, or edit them when I screw up.) Jonathan or whoever is keeping an eye on the site tonight, please fix the previous and delete this! Thanks in advance.

• Ian August 6, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Did you see the mariokart stencils on NE WIlliams?

• Amos August 8, 2010 at 9:56 am

@mh: Yea, that's the one. Pretty slick.

@Ian: Just saw them today. It was really funny, we passed 2 yellow peel banana stencils and then 2 actual bananas peels.

• Grey August 9, 2010 at 7:23 pm

@Ian: mariocart? Ok, now I need to make I trip to NE just to see that.