Man collapses, later dies in hospital after race at PIR

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on June 9th, 2010 at 10:02 am

David Oliphant
1962 - 2010.
(Photo: Cort Buchholz)

David Oliphant, 47, collapsed after crossing the finish following a race at Portland International Raceway last night. After being attended to by on-scene medics, Oliphant was rushed to a local hospital but doctors were unable to revive him and he later died.

Kenji Sugahara, executive director of the Oregon Bicycle Racing Association (OBRA) confirmed the incident this morning, saying Oliphant died of a heart-related condition. "We're all deeply saddened by it. He was a great racer and a great friend. It's a huge loss to the community -- everyone liked him. Our deepest condolences go out to his family, friends and team."

"We're all deeply saddened by it. He was a great racer and a great friend. It's a huge loss to the community."
-- Kenji Sugahara, OBRA

Oliphant was a veteran racer and was one of the top competitors on the road and on the track in Oregon. He was also the Team Director of his Therapeautic Associates/GENR8 squad. David was racing alongside his brother Duncan on Tuesday night.

Sugahara says they've ordered armbands with David's number on them and there will be a "lap of silence" at the Tuesday PIR race next week.

Our thoughts are with the Oliphant family.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • bahueh June 9, 2010 at 10:49 am

oh damn...I knew David...

• cbright67 June 9, 2010 at 10:55 am

This is tragic news. David was one of the warmest, friendliest guys in the peloton and always had a great laugh. He will be sorely missed. He has a wonderful family, so keep them in your thoughts.

• Brad Ross June 9, 2010 at 11:02 am

I miss you already my good friend. Tailwind forever.

• Steven R Holland June 9, 2010 at 11:24 am

I had known David Oliphant for many years.........he and his bro Duncan were with out a doubt the two nicest guys in bike racing........will be missed. I'm shocked.

• Joe Metal Cowboy Kurmaskie June 9, 2010 at 11:35 am

Oh, crap! Just waved at David during one of his training rides in my neighborhood. Taken way too young, condolences and maybe a small bit of comfort to the family that he was doing something he clearly loved.

• Mitch Denham June 9, 2010 at 11:38 am

David you will be missed.... Always upbeat and a wonderful person to talk to while being dragged around at PIR... It was good to know you, my friend.

• Mike Criscione June 9, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Dave, I just found out you were taken from us last night! I feel as though I'm in a fog. How long my friend? I remember, 1st grade, we grew up together! All the good times are coming back,all the summers! I remember you were 3 days older than me! I also remember what a great friend you were. You will be sorely missed! Your family is in my prayers.

• noah June 9, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I'm sad to hear about this. I think -- from what little I've learned about him -- if he had any time to reflect, he would have been aware he was dying at the place he loved.

• Devin Hanson June 9, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I only knew David professionally but he was truly a warm and friendly person and will surely be missed by many.

• Jill Sanders June 10, 2010 at 9:54 am

I cannot find the words. I hear his name and the image is always the same: a glowing smile, kind words, a person
    sparkling with life. Heaven is a brighter place
    today. I'm so lucky to have known him.

• Grace June 10, 2010 at 11:01 am

I love you uncle david. and miss you terribly

• Marcus van Witzenburg June 10, 2010 at 1:30 pm

David-
    So shocked and sad today.
    My thoughts are with Duncan and the rest of your wonderful family. We will miss you.

• Nils T. June 10, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I am truly saddened by this. He was just about the nicest guy on a bike - he and his brother were heroes of mine and my junior cycling team.

• Andrew Chase June 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm

It was always a treat to have David visit the bike shop. His smile and warmth will be missed. Rest in peace David.

• Tom James June 10, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Dave, Thanks for your warm heart & glowing smile. Whether on a training ride or race your presence made it that much brighter . I will truly miss you !

• Reader June 10, 2010 at 5:26 pm

We will miss you David! Why is always the good ones? Grace, the community hugs you, God bless you child!

• Anonymous June 11, 2010 at 7:22 am

What struck me about Dave was his zest for life. It was clear how much he loved people and people loved him. He will be so very missed! Heather Bratt

• Noah June 11, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I am so sorry. David was always so positive and supportive towards others and that included athletes like myself who were not as fast or as gifted as he was. That is one thing that stood out; he was positive and supported everyone in the sport not just people who were fast. As a young guy, I really appreciated that. Thanks.

• J. Griffith June 12, 2010 at 6:51 am

The death of David is a huge personal loss. As a second cousin to David, I too was a recipient of the gift that was David. He is a part of who I am.... Watching him grow up, encouraging me to try road racing at age 48. I loved every bit of it. Thanks to you and your family, Thanks so much.

• Chris Henry June 12, 2010 at 9:28 am

God bless you, Dave.

We are fraternity brothers from Oregon State University. Dave was always an inspiration around the house. He was diligent in his studies, knew how to have fun and lift the spirits of those around him. He approached his athleticism with vigor just like his guitar playing. We'll miss you, brother.

Our prayers are with you and your family.