Pedal Nation Bike Show: Photo gallery and open thread for feedback

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on April 11th, 2010 at 8:33 am

Pedal Nation Bike Show-89
Big crowds on Saturday.
- Gallery/Slideshow below -
(Photos © J. Maus)

Judging by the crowds and the vibe on Saturday I'd say the Pedal Nation Bike Show has earned a solid spot on the Portland bike calendar. Hats off to co-founders Andrea Updegrave and Aaron McBride; they dove right into the community and succeeded in bringing thousands of people together through a shared love of bicycles and what they mean to this city.

Pedal Nation Bike Show-99
Air provided by Northwest School
of Freeride.

I attended yesterday and enjoyed every minute of my time there. I got to check out some very cool new products, re-connect with old friends and acquaintances and meet a few new ones. I was impressed with the diversity of the crowd and the vendors. There were a lot of families and bike riders of all different stripes. The vendors ranged from e-bikes to high fashion and everything in between.

Crowds were solid on Saturday and I hope McBride and Updegrave are pleased enough with the turnout to confirm plans to do it again next year. Portland needs a bike show all its own and Pedal Nation has proven more than able to pull it off. I hope this becomes an annual event.

If you were at the show, I'd love to know your thoughts. How was the show for you?

Check out all my photos in the slideshow below:

Read all BikePortland coverage of the show here.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Tonya April 11, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Had a great time at the show today. Unfortunately my kids were not in the mood for bike gazing, so we couldn't stay as long as I would have liked. Loved being able to see the Di2 up close and personal, immediately followed by a Kidz Tandem that we might go rent from Clever Cycles one of these days.

• Travis A. Wittwer April 11, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I was glad to see, what I perceive to be, an increase in cargo bikes, many options. I think cargo bikes will be a gate-way "drug" for families to get into everyday cycling. And when that happens, the kids grow up with that mentality as it has always been. Not biking-as-something-unique. Cheers. Good to see you at the show. You seem to be carrying more bags these days, my friend.

• JoseR April 11, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Sweet! My kids & I made the selected photo for the article (I'm in the red coat with my little man on shoulders and head checking my little girl).
    The show was AWESOME! I was super bummed that I didn't get to make it for day 2, but the Pedal Nation folks put together a well thought-out event. Great vendors, groups, organizations, displays, & fun to be had for everyone.

• Matt @ Sunset Cycles April 11, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Thanks go to Aaron McBride and his wife for a lot of hard work and a great show as a result. As a vendor who attended - it was well worth our time and investment. For those of you who didn't come out - you missed a good one!

Thanks to Portland for coming out en masse and to Pedal Nation and the vendors for making a great show!

• Kristi Johns April 12, 2010 at 5:57 am

Wow! This show was fantastic! No doubt this one will be back year after year. I am so glad that we finally got a True Portland Show. The year started out iffy with that fiasco (not to be named show at the Expo Center) But spirits are now soaring that Pedal Nation is here. Pedal Nation Rocks!

• Laura April 12, 2010 at 9:14 am

Thanks for doing the free tickets via OrBike! For a first year event, it was really well done. Hopefully some of the vendors and builders who used "first year" as an excuse not to participate will do so next year. I'd love to see this event get as big & crazy as Seattle's (including the bike gymnasts they had this year).

• Wheelburro April 12, 2010 at 9:21 am

Thank you Aaron and Andrea for a great show. The gardening crew was very excited to have their trike at the show. I'm excited about next year.
    A hearty "Well done" to all the people who put this show together.
    Rick

• Joe April 12, 2010 at 10:30 am

good times, good show, good people.
    looking foward to next year! rode from
    Wilsonville always an adventure by bike :)

• A.K. April 12, 2010 at 11:31 am

I went on Saturday and enjoyed it for a few hours. I am VERY glad they thought ahead and provided additional bike parking racks... I was a little worried about that on the way down there.

My only suggestions: trying to woo more bike vendors from the non-cargo or "electric assist" categories to attend. I realize those are probably growing and higher-profile markets here in Portland, it would have been nice to see more sexy racing bikes, street bikes, etc. Perhaps that is for a different type of show with a different audience.

At any rate, for the $7 entry fee it was fun and worth going. I especially enjoyed that Kraftwerk's "Tour de France" was constantly playing over the loudspeakers near the front of the show!

• aaron April 12, 2010 at 2:45 pm

A.K. - great feedback! We asked over 800 different companies to attend and you saw which ones said "Yes" to attending :) More traditional bikes & companies are on the ask list too.. hopefully they will be at our next show. Let's hope!

Glad to hear you had a fun, thanks for attending.

• Ed Dalton April 12, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Aaron and Andrea,
    Great show! Well organized and a class event for Portland. We were honored participate. Thanks Pedal Nation and to all who attended!
    Ed Dalton
    Showers Pass

• Hack April 13, 2010 at 5:26 am

Awesome time and great event. Next year will be even better!

• Lee H April 13, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I had a great day with my wife,We saw my old buddy John Maus, took in the fashion show, and made some sic purchases I was stoked! Hope to attend again next year. You guys did a wonderful job.Idea? Maybe next time,more bikes,mountain bike shops Fat Tire Farm? River City maybe? AWESOME seeya next Time LeeH