Two new bike businesses: Cookies and a chiropractor

Posted by on April 5th, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Cookies by bike.

There are so many bike-centric business sprouting up in Portland these days that I need a business editor just to keep up.

Adding to the long list of Portland businesses that are either operated from bicycles or focused on the people who ride them are Cookie Pedalers and The Bicycle Chiropractor.

The Bicycle Chiropractor is Christopher Pierce. Pierce is a doctor of Chiropractic who has practiced in Portland since 2001 and who is, “dedicated to keeping bicyclists optimally healthy and tuned up for riding their bikes.”

Dr. Pierce, the
Bicycle Chiropractor.

But The Bicycle Chiropractor takes “bike-friendly” one step further. On his website, Pierce says he’s trying to “create a family of bicycle culture.” In addition to helpful bike clinics and rides, The Bicycle Chiropractor will trade exams, X-rays, and adjustments in exchange for three hours of volunteer bicycle advocacy time (described as “writing letters to editors and politicians”).

To better diagnose your bicycling-induced issue, Dr. Pierce will have you take a spin on one of the bikes he’s got set up on a trainer in the office (which are facing a big screen TV playing bike racing videos) so he can evaluate your position before heading to the adjustment table. “Often times aches and pains are only brought out while you are riding your bike, so this gives us a real time, real world scenario.”

Once your body is feeling good, why not celebrate with a bacon-infused shortbread cookie in caramel sauce? If that sounds good call up Molly McCarthy and Teal Smerlinder of Cookie Pedalers and they’ll deliver it to you by bike.

“A business of making creative cookies and delivering them by bike just seemed to make perfect sense,” so says the Cookie Pedalers website. Started in November of last year with just $500, a Facebook page, and some supportive and talented friends, Molly and Teal’s business is off and riding!

Learn more about these bike businesses online at TheBicycleChiropractor.com and CookiePedalers.com

Comments
  • patrick April 5, 2010 at 3:57 pm

love cookiepedalers.

• Liza April 5, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Cookie Pedalers’ cookies are AMAZING! I highly recommend “The Dude” cookies.

• K April 5, 2010 at 6:05 pm

The Bicycle Chiropractor sounds fab! I’ve been having bad back pain, very possibly from riding those evil drop bars every day. I’m definitely going to look into making an appointment with him. Then perhaps I will scoff cookies.

Thanks very much for bringing these two wonderful new businesses to my attention!

• jeneraldisarray April 5, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Molly and Teal make a mean cookie! Well, not mean, but you know what I’m talking about.

Don’t even think twice about calling them up and scoring some for yourself.

I can’t remember the name of the one I’m in love with, but it involves peanut butter and pretzels. Good God, it’s delicious!

They even made a celebratory “10,000th delivery” cookie for us at SoupCycle that was as yummy as it was pretty…Thanks Cookie Pedalers! :)

• Opus the Poet April 6, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Actually my bike fits really well, it’s when I get off and start doing other things that I have problems, the biggest being the 17 mm I lost from the injured leg after the wreck.

• Bill Stites April 6, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Good luck to Dr. Pierce, and the Cookie Pedalers.

When I saw the title, I thought Dr. Pierce might be doing house calls by bike. I only thought of this because this is what I did in NYC, when I converted my practice to House Call Chiropractic in 1990.
    At first I thought I’d be doing the cab/subway/bus thing, but when I saw all the messengers blowing by … I got back into cycling. And into advocacy to help improve safety on some tough streets.

• rickegee April 6, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Cookie Pedalers and SoupCycle are the Wonder Twins of delicious bike delivery. Now if only I could have a cookie option with my weekly soup delivery . . .

• Christopher Pierce, DC April 7, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Thank you Jonathan for the kind article on The Bicycle Chiropractor. The response has been fantastic. I look forward to helping all those Portland bicyclists with their Chiropractic needs. Already people are calling us for appointments from your article.

Christopher Pierce, DC