Posted by Jonathan "J.R" Reed on February 7th, 2010 at 8:30 pm
Bicycle Safety Education Instructor, Eugene
Bicycle Transportation Alliance
This position has been filled.
Job Title: Bike Safety Education Instructor
Reporting To: Program Manager
Pay Rate: $14.00 per hour
Status: Seasonal, part-time, non-exempt
Location: Primarily the Eugene area with occasional trainings in Portland
Job Timeline: March 7th through June 30th with opportunity to renew in the Fall
Hiring Timeline: The position is open currently and will close upon being filled
Bicycling transforms communities by reinventing transportation and offering solutions that help solve the universal challenges to health, livability and the environment.
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance (BTA) is a non-profit 5,000-member organization with a mission to create healthy, sustainable communities by making bicycling safer, more convenient and more accessible in Oregon and SW Washington.
The Bike Safety Education Instructor is responsible for the delivery and support of the Bicycle Safety Education program conducted by the BTA and funded by ODOT.
• Deliver 10-hour Bike Safety Education Curriculum in elementary and middle schools. Locations will be determined in partnership with the Program Manager.
• Represent the BTA at assigned workshops, trainings, forums, activities, events and other educational program opportunities in the region.
• Identify and pursue potential fundraising and in-kind donations as well as local grant and partnership opportunities.
Organization and Planning
Plan and organize in order to effectively manage multiple essential tasks with minimal support including the management of program scheduling, supply logistics, volunteer management, and relationship building with community partners. Report program activity in a timely and accurate manner to the Portland-based Program Manager.
Bike Safety Education Expertise
Posses skilled bicycle riding and maintenance skills needed to instruct and support students of varied ability and maintain dozens of bicycles in good order.
Organize and deliver lessons that effectively inform and engage young people using current presentation technologies as well as being able to make effective spontaneous presentations to children in classroom and outside settings.
Emphasize inclusiveness, work to minimize the impact of the differences in student’s ability and self-confidence to produce memorable and rewarding experiences for the students in our programs. Requisite Experience:
• Studies in child development, education, physical education, outdoor recreation and public health preferred
• Experience in bicycle safety instruction, education, physical education, outdoor recreational, public health or volunteer management preferred
• Exhibits a passion for bicycle transportation and/or an interest in creating livable, healthy, and sustainable communities.
The BTA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, physical or mental disability or legal source of income.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume, completed BTA application form in PDF format via email to humanresources(at)bta4bikes(dot)org. No calls, please.