Reed College photo project looks to make helmets sexy

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on April 29th, 2009 at 10:49 am

Reed College students photographed for the BikeSexy project.
(Photos by Norah Hoover)

Reed College art major Paul Clay has launched BikeSexy.com, which is a series of photos he says use the advertising industry's oldest methods of persuasion -- desirability and sex -- to get more people to wear helmets.

"If we plan on promoting bikes within a modern American context, people need to associate bikes with being hot and sexy."
-- Paul Clay, artist

The images were shot by Norah Hoover, a professional photographer and graduate of Reed and the Pacific Northwest College of Art. The models are Reed College students. Clay directed the project and he also does interactive video art and makes music.

Clay shared with me via email yesterday that he's "very interested in transportation activism" and that he's worked hard to promote bikes to students and staff at Reed. "I am constantly thinking how I can use my interest in art and technology to get people out of their cars."

Story continues below

I asked Clay to tell me more about his motivations for the project and I think his response deserves to be re-published in its entirety:

To me, the helmet represents so much of what is indigestible for a greater audience about bikes and bike culture. By its very nature, it implies that a rider is clumsy (that soon you will fall off your bike), faint-hearted, and talentless. It implies that a rider will eventually get hit by a car. It is often associated with bike-racing and the Lycra skivvies, and obviously poses a hazard to a fancy hair-do. So, it's pretty much the anti-Christ of accepted mainstream fashion. Even in Portland, helmets are not always part of a bike-hipster's getup.

The advertising industry regularly uses association with sex to propagate new styles of clothing, cars, pharmaceuticals etc. This is particularly obvious in the fashion world: they have the amazing ability to take any object (think crazy huge and expensive purses) or concept (like adopting children) and make it desirable by the use of idealized and erotic imagery.

So the purpose of the photo-shoot was to use the ad industry techniques to associate bike helmets with desirability and sex. This hopefully can have the effect of swaying current bicyclists to wear a helmet more often. However, It's main drive is to use the bike helmet as symbol of bicycling (and it's negative associations) and then try to change how that symbol is viewed. From clumsy and prudish to nimble and chic.

Not enough people are swayed by the standard arguments of "better for you, your community and the environment." If we plan on promoting bikes within a modern American context, people need to associate bikes with being hot and sexy.

The current photo-shoot featured on bikesexy.com is made to appeal to a broad audience. It's bike propaganda that, instead of playing up bike culture's "radness" and hip alternative lifestyle, works within a very mainstream formula - hoping to encourage people from a very diverse background to hop on their two-wheeled friends.

I hope we'll be seeing more activism from Mr. Clay in the future. Check out more photos from this project at BikeSexy.com.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • amos April 29, 2009 at 11:20 am

works for me!

• the future April 29, 2009 at 11:52 am

helmet cool. helmet visor not cool.

• the future April 29, 2009 at 11:54 am

or

helmet hot visor not

• Brian E April 29, 2009 at 11:54 am

Sex just got safer.

• Hart April 29, 2009 at 11:55 am

Using eroticism to sell a product is an insult to eroticism.

• Bob_M April 29, 2009 at 11:59 am

Helmets that fit are safer than the photo prop in the top pic

• mmann April 29, 2009 at 12:07 pm

One of my few regrets in life is not attending Reed. This photo shoot just cured me of that. One man's/woman's eroticism is another's turn-off. Maybe I'm showing my age, but yuck.

• david April 29, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Maybe some shots of sexy models after accidents while not wearing helmets should be part of the series. Or am I missing the point?

• steve April 29, 2009 at 12:29 pm

You aren't showing your age. There is nothing sexy about the photo shoots. ** Steve, I deleted this sentence of your comment because you made direct, baseless insults about people you don't even know. -- Jonathan **

What a terribly bad idea.

• Perry April 29, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Kate, definitely.

• Nicky V April 29, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Brian E, you're killin' me!

• bahueh April 29, 2009 at 12:34 pm

they just should go to the OHSU trauma ward and get permission to print pictures of the brain dead patients on life support, "eating" through a chest tube and hooked up to a catheter bag...

as that is too often the alternative.

• Val April 29, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Does Calvin Klein make helmets?

• Krampus April 29, 2009 at 12:39 pm

These ads make me proud to not wear a helmet.

And let's be honest, helmets will never be sexy. They are an absolute eyesore of the highest caliber.

• steve April 29, 2009 at 12:47 pm

They do look smug- so that is not baseless, it is descriptive. Pointing out smugness is also not an insult.

In addition, the student demographic at Reed is well known. Poor people do not get educated there. Again, describing reality is neither baseless, nor insulting.

What is really insulting is the photo shoot, the website, and your covering it.

• Jeff TB April 29, 2009 at 12:53 pm

the future,

I like my visor. Keeps the sun out of my eyes. Cool or not. And anyway, cool is the new square. Or nerd is the new cool. Either way. Don't care.

• Tim April 29, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I fail to see how bikeportland covering this is "insulting." Just because you have it out for Reed because of a mistaken sense of the school doesn't automatically make this article worthless.

• Todd Boulanger April 29, 2009 at 12:59 pm

I am told my bald head is sexy...but I have never been complimented on my Bell helmet (or other brands) being sexy. ;-)

Though I do wear a helmet per the law or if I riding 'American style'.

• amos April 29, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I'm with Jonathan on this one, Steve.

You don't know these people in the photo, you are only using demographics as an excuse to stereotype. That is insulting and baseless.

• johnny April 29, 2009 at 1:09 pm

They looks like tools.. Don't push your agenda on me.

more - “helmet propaganda”

• the future April 29, 2009 at 1:12 pm

point taken jeff tb. apologies.

• j April 29, 2009 at 1:23 pm

this is an interesting idea, but very hard to pull off (that's what she said).

i find helmets are sexier when there's sweat involved. this looks like a gap ad + helmet, rather than the aftermath of a great bike ride.

for folks like me who value the contents of skulls, no helmet is a turn off. it makes people look a little dumb, and that's not hot at all.

• Brandon April 29, 2009 at 1:28 pm

I'm just put off by anything labeled "bicycle propaganda". I'm not saying that advertising's manipulative ways are inherently bad and should be avoided, but I think we all recognize just how influential advertising can be. I think people should be motivated into wearing helmets, not coerced like teens into fad dieting. This project is an interesting art example for art sake, but its not positive for society and shouldn't claim to have that as a goal.

• R-diddly April 29, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I wish I could say I liked it, but instead I'll offer a couple observations about advertising:

- Good things sell themselves and don't need to be advertised.

- Using the ad industry's "big weapon" (sex) also opens you up to the ad industry's "big flaw" (irrelevancy, dumbness).

In other words, the perceived "need" to wear a helmet, is one of the turn-offs of bicycling in America. It is therefore one of the things that keeps massive numbers of people from getting on bikes, and causing the sort of sea change that would make biking safe enough that no one would feel they needed a helmet.

I for one find it highly insulting that the solution to shitty driving is for everyone in the vicinity of the potential offender to wear a helmet. This shifts responsibility and blame onto the victim. Maybe everyone ought to wear bullet-proof vests too, to make it easier and safer for gunmen to go on killing rampages.

Wear your bullet-proof vest! It's for safety! And it's sexy!

• becky April 29, 2009 at 1:32 pm

I think the guys who got those plain black helmets from the Copenhagen cops were wayyyyy cuter.

Maybe because they were smiling? Maybe because those helmets mostly fit better? Or because they were using a helmet as head protection rather than a fashion accessory?

• j April 29, 2009 at 1:42 pm

r-diddly, good point.

sexiness continuum:
    drivers <<< helmetless cyclists < cyclists.

• RonC April 29, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Sexiness is in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion wearing a helmet is smart. Since I find intelligence attractive, helmets can certainly complement sexy. Not wearing one while riding is like holding a lit cigarette. It's a bit of a turn-off on my radar. The fact that a person is riding at all still earns big points. But sexiness is not primarily about the helmet. It's a nice thing they're trying to do, and I wish them well.

• Roma April 29, 2009 at 1:47 pm

@R-diddly -

I see your argument, but shitty driving is not the only way you can get a head injury from falling off your bicycle. In fact, every time I've crashed there hasn't been a car anywhere near me. Everything from slippery train tracks to my rear wheel snapping in half at 15mph. Shit happens.

• Rixtir April 29, 2009 at 2:01 pm

# 24:

Cyclists who think they'll never fall just haven't been riding long enough.

• Hart April 29, 2009 at 2:05 pm

I don't think promoting cycling, or cycle safety is ever a bad thing. But to use the vapid, superficial aesthetics of the fashion industry is just gross, and completely lacks imagination.

• T27 April 29, 2009 at 3:01 pm

“The current photo-shoot featured on bikesexy.com is made to appeal to a broad audience. It’s bike propaganda that, instead of playing up bike culture’s “radness” and hip alternative lifestyle, works within a very mainstream formula - hoping to encourage people from a very diverse background to hop on their two-wheeled friends”

I agree with the sentiment, but maybe they should have followed their own advice. Young, rad and hip models from Reed are hardly mainstream and four white kids is hardly diversity. Want mainstream, put on a shirt and maybe let a little grey stick out from under the helmet. Now that is sexy.

• Mike April 29, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Re #24:

Wear your helmet: if you ride a bike enough you'll eventually need it.

I'd wear a bullet proof vest if I handled a gun as much as I handle my bike.

• s April 29, 2009 at 3:11 pm

@steve

But libel blatantly removed from easily demonstrable statistics (such as % of students who receive financial aid, which is among the highest across the country) paints you as hateful and ignorant.

• Steve Durrant April 29, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Someone obviously hit a couple nerves here whether it was the 'sexy' photos or articulate narrative of Jonathan and his subject. I'd say it's a successful campaign, especially because it got so many of you going. What an absolute hoot to read and watch.

• Andy B from Jersey April 29, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Who are the dorks wearing the helmets?

Sorry it doesn't work. Bike helmets will ALWAYS be dorky (and I almost always wear one).

The only time they approach looking cool is when you are in full race gear, whether that be road or mountain. Otherwise dorky.

BTW - Riding 30 years and never needed mine yet and I've had my fair share of crashes.

• Tim April 29, 2009 at 4:39 pm

AndyB- If you don't wear one, once you need it it's already too late.

• Hart April 29, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Regardless of how they look, and regardless of how useful they are, those who insist that others wear them look more like they're trying to make everyone else look like them, rather than like they are genuinely concerned with the safety of others.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of any other form of recreation or transportation where people are constantly saying things like, "Oh my gosh, you're so irresponsible for not wearing the optional safety gear!"

• wsbob April 29, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Nice try on the photos, except that they don't seem to have much to do with bike helmets; there isn't a bike in sight in any of the pics. The setting depicted isn't one that a person riding a bike should need to wear a helmet for.

It's kind of interesting though, that of the nine photos posted on the photographers site, in just one of them, the one shown above, the girls don't have their helmets on. Hmmm-m. Wonder what that means.

I've seen helmets provide certain people with a little added sexual mystique, but these photos don't show that.

• Carl April 29, 2009 at 6:22 pm

omg steve i h8 rich people TOO!!! What duz smug mean? Looks 2 me like it means HOTTT lol Yay hot people on bikes!!! Boo lameoldstevecomplaingaboutit!!!¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

• Ben Foote April 29, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Here's the non-helmet version:

• Donna April 29, 2009 at 7:35 pm

So the large number of Reedies I personally know whose parents couldn't afford to contribute a dime towards their college education are a complete figment of my imagination? Are the ones whose families were on welfare some sort of hallucination, then?

I wasn't impressed with the photos myself, but can't you do better than an ad hominem attack? I've read your posts, steve, so I know you're more clever than this.

• SkidMark April 29, 2009 at 7:41 pm

When I think of bikey people at Reed, I think of C.H.V.N.K. 666

• Sam April 29, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Anybody who needs a helmet to be "sexy" in order to wear one probably doesn't have enough going on in their head to need to protect it.

• Rikthankless April 29, 2009 at 8:29 pm

As a wise man once told me.......

"Helmets are sexier than brain damage!"

BEEEEEEEEER!

• pasteeater April 29, 2009 at 8:36 pm

In addition, the student demographic at Reed is well known.

Yup, it's weird to see "Reed" and "sexy" in the same sentence.

• grimm April 29, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Rikthankless,
    I dunno. Being a vegetable in a wheelchair sounds pretty sexy to me.

JK.

An interesting perspective on helmets. I think they could be more pronounced designed objects. Like what if you stole elements from gaudy purses (loud patterns, over sized polished hardware, logo encrusted with fake jewels, patent leather) and applied them to helmets and really blew out the photography and added a tagline? Just an idea. Maybe a future project.

• someone April 30, 2009 at 12:03 am

Been riding 34 years without a helmet. I've fallen lots of times. Every day I'm out there is one more day of experience at avoiding dangerous situations. I plan on defying other people's "eventuallys" and "sooner or laters" indefinitely. I have faith in my guardians. If I stop believing in them, that's the day I'll need a helmet. But that'll also, conveniently, be the day my life won't be worth anything.

Mere age is going to cripple me soon enough, and "having a job" arguably cripples me already, so I'm going to enjoy biking without a helmet while I still can. If I die doing it, I'm prepared for that. I have a healthcare advance directive too. Life's not so awesome that we need to degrade ourselves by clinging to it so tenaciously. Life's only worth anything with some degree of risk anyway. What of value do you have? You'll never know until it's put at risk. But willingly risking something, and not going insane with fear, means being willing to lose it, which paradoxically is the only way to ever really appreciate it and be glad you have it. Don't believe the hype. Swine flu is bullshit too.

• Loren April 30, 2009 at 12:36 am

Meh.

• KWW April 30, 2009 at 1:41 am

The failbus has arrived!

There are no bikes in the photos!

• revphil April 30, 2009 at 2:04 am

Clearly most of the people posting on this blog are not typical consumers of fashion stuff.

Is that David Stoops?

• Mo's Bike Shop April 30, 2009 at 8:55 am

Cyclists who think they'll never fall just haven't been riding long enough.

I dunno. Being a vegetable in a wheelchair sounds pretty sexy to me.

I find passive-aggressive behavior sexy--Rowrr!

You all wear helmets in your car right? I'd hate to think you weren't being consistent.

• RonC April 30, 2009 at 11:06 am

someone (#47) said: "so I'm going to enjoy biking without a helmet while I still can. If I die doing it, I'm prepared for that."

Just substitute "smoking" for "biking without a helmet" in the statement above. Same argument that smokers make.

• Will Radik April 30, 2009 at 11:53 am

Good intention. But what a wholly unimaginative approach. Looks like someone's half-assed art school project.

• Tom April 30, 2009 at 1:01 pm

@Will Radik

It IS a half-ass art project.

• metal cowboy April 30, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Is the first lesson at modeling school how to sustain a bored, poker face?

I wear a helmet nearly everwhere BUT the bedroom, but I'm not going to try to require anyone else to - you can decide for yourself how much the old brainpan is worth.

But I would like to see a law established that gave me abs like that - just from cycling. I ride the hell out of my bikes and can't seem to achieve anything greater than a four pack.

• Sara April 30, 2009 at 2:08 pm

@ Mo's Bike Shop

Sometimes I *do* feel weird for not wearing a helmet in the car, but that's just a combination of participating in many activities that require helmets plus being more accustomed to biking (and thus wearing a helmet) when I'm traveling.

To be serious though, you do realize that seatbelts and airbags protect us in a car even better than helmets protect us on bikes, right?

Do you disable the airbags in your car when you drive (if you drive)? Do you refuse to wear your seatbelt?

• Jacob C April 30, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Put your clothes on and go ride a bike.

• Rixtir April 30, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Mo, 51:

Way to miss the point. #24 made the argument that I also agree strongly with what Clay says here: "By its very nature [a helmet] implies that a rider is clumsy (that soon you will fall off your bike), faint-hearted, and talentless. It implies that a rider will eventually get hit by a car."

Given that argument, It's perfectly reasonable to point out that everybody falls, eventually. Even riders who aren't "clumsy" or "talentless." That's not a nagging reminder to wear your helmet, it's a reminder that the argument about "clumsy and talentless riders" is BS.

• Carl April 30, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Jacob C, is this your first summer in Portland? Pedalpalooza approaches: now's the time to take your clothes OFF and go ride a bike!

• Mo's Bike Shop May 1, 2009 at 10:24 am

Way to miss the point.

Right back at you. My point was that teh passive-aggressive ain't gonna win you an argument, get your point across, or change peoples' minds.

Passive-aggressive responses would be the examples I gave and you show your approval for. Like the implication that because I disagree with someone else's risk assessment, I'm too stupid to realize that gravity affects me. Or the assumption that I must also refuse to wear my seatbelt. Or that after 30 years of commuting I haven't ever evaluated my risks.

For instance, compare and contrast the effectiveness of the following possible responses from me:

A. I don't rock-hop. I don't do club rides. I live in a flat area. All my riding is in a downtown grid, with traffic speeds under 30 mph. I stop at stop signs. When someone in an SUV with an 'important call' right-hooks me, all I'm gonna get from a styrofoam beanie is an amusing popping sound.

Or,

B. If you wear a helmet you must wear diapers, as well.

I think 'A' makes my point better, but then I think helmet use is an individual prerogative, not an opportunity to vent my self-esteem issues.

• Rixtir May 1, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Oh, I got your point about passive-aggressive, even when you made it with irony:

But then you seem to have forgotten what it was you were saying:

That aside, you've still missed the point.

When somebody makes the argument that helmet use implies that the wearer is a "clumsy and talentless rider" who will soon fall, that person is making a BS argument. Everybody falls, no matter how graceful, no matter how talented a rider. Ride long enough, you will fall, usually because you made a stupid mistake. And pointing out--to the person who made that BS argument-- that everybody falls is not the same thing as telling you that you're too stupid to realize that gravity affects you.

• steve May 1, 2009 at 2:14 pm

There are few things that absolutely everyone does. Falling is not one of them. You argument is equally 'stupid' rixtir. Perhaps you are projecting your poor bike handling skills and lack of spatial awareness onto the rest of us. Or maybe you are just a contrarian know it all?

Even if we were to grant you your absurd and unfounded position that everyone falls, it sure seems unlikely that they will all land on their head. Of course there is then the problem that helmets are only designed for low velocity impacts, not as protection from cars.

I am much more concerned about being carried away by a twister, being struck by lightning, and falling in the shower than I ever will be of falling from my bike while riding around town commuting.

Daily rider for over 3 decades here. I only wear a helmet when I am a passenger in a car and when having drunken sex.

Put YOUR helmet on and kindly leave the rest of us alone, helmet zealots.

• Rixtir May 1, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Tell it to Lance, Steve.

• steve May 1, 2009 at 3:03 pm

I have met Lance, I like you more than him.

• Diogo May 1, 2009 at 3:53 pm

This is like double condescension. One for trying to convince me to wear a helmet for my one protection. And two for using the "sexy" deception strategy.

• RonC May 1, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Steve (#67) said "I only wear a helmet when I am a passenger in a car and when having drunken sex."

Is that either/or, or both at once?

Times I've fallen without feeling particularly talentless or clumsy:

1) Tire slipped out on slimy smashed pumpkin mush in the road.
    2) Riding is a group, and a small dog rushed me from the side. I had to hold a line so that I didn't wipe out the rider next to me. Took a fall for the group.
    3) Tire picked up some glass as I was going downhill, and when I rounded a corner it slipped out due to under-inflation.
    4) Riding in a group again, and another rider rode over a stick, which flew up into my front wheel and locked it against the fork.
    5) Lost traction on wet leaves.
    6) Rounded a corner after a big downhill at speed, hit a pine-cone in the road, tire skipped and came down at a bad angle on wet pavement. (High sided the corner, broken helmet and complete hip fracture.)
    7) Riding a recumbent tandem solo in the rain, turned up a steep hill and lost traction with the rear tire due to slippery pavement and not enough weight over wheel. (This one was actually kind of a comical slow motion blunder, but didn't seem particularly clumsy.)
    8) Ice.

Just saying, it happens.

• steve May 1, 2009 at 7:43 pm

'Just saying, it happens.'

Yeah, to you. A lot apparently.

Also, it is both at once of course. ;)

• Pete May 1, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Wow, 72+ messages throwing mostly insults back and forth just because Jonathan did a bike-related article about an art students project about something he and his friends care about. What a "community"!

• Frank Selker May 1, 2009 at 10:22 pm

I think that some people posting on this one may have fallen and hit their heads already but they don't remember it.

• Michelle May 2, 2009 at 5:13 pm

As a current Reed student and a big bicyclist, I'm actually a little insulted that the students chosen to model for the site are the hip-to-the-skip hipsters. To me, the site captures what I hate the most about bike culture: the pretentious better-than-thou attitude that most hipsters seem to have when riding their fixed gear bikes. Helmet or no helmet.

What's most insulting about this site is that, being a Reed student and all, I know most of the people featured and let me tell you -- they do not wear their helmets! The person running the site should have done some legitimate research and picked students who actually deserve to be featured in this type of ad campaign. Even though these students probably aren't the most aesthetically pleasing of the bunch, I feel like the message the site is trying to give us would be more legitimate.

In the end, riding with a helmet isn't the sexiest thing in the world, but we should embrace that! I want to see endearing, slightly dorky kids with their helmets on featured on this site.

• wsbob May 2, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Michelle...you got it. Riding with a helmet shouldn't have to be the sexiest thing in the world for intelligent people to recognize and understand situations where wearing the Styrofoam hat makes total sense.

And besides...intelligence is something frequently absent in the presence of things sexually attractive...better not rely much on that to persuade people to wear a bike helmet. The most unlikely things can possess or convey sexual energy. One of the easiest examples are some people's use cigarettes. I hate the damn things...cigarettes, cigars, etc, but some people can be very compelling sexually when using them.

Besides the obvious physical things they do for people, they're props, just like other objects that people like. Bike helmets can be sexy....it just takes the right person to be able to see it when it happens and to photograph or render it in some other art form in order for certain people to see it also. Now that I think of it, if it weren't for the accompanying tragedy, some people might see that the bike helmet in the silhouette made and stenciled on the viaduct support in memory of Brett Jarolimek does just that.

• jim May 3, 2009 at 12:05 am

The photo was a bit of a turnoff for me

• jim May 3, 2009 at 12:07 am

Maybe because lack of a good photo shoot. A bit rank and file

• Ethan May 9, 2009 at 6:43 am

Agreed, these photos are nothing special.

• Sam Weinrott May 13, 2009 at 7:23 am

I bought myself a nutcase helmet which says "I love my brain" on the back. I think it's awesome and it's an example of commenter #46's idea applied.

• Dave May 14, 2009 at 9:54 am

Completely aside from whether helmets are helpful or not, this feels both contrived and silly. I would say the same thing about underwear ads, though I personally find underwear quite useful.