Pedicab operator allegedly run down by man in a car; suspect still on the loose

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on April 14th, 2009 at 12:44 pm

"If I would have been a pedestrian or on a regular bike, I would have been dead...I feel like an attempt was made on my life. I told the cop I was assaulted but for some reason this was put on the backburner. They told me my case was placed at a low priority."
-- pedicab operator

Last Saturday night at about 2:30 a.m., a pedicab operator was allegedly run down by a man driving a late-model Mercedes while riding east on NW Davis Street in downtown Portland.

The woman, who has requested anonymity because she fears her safety and her job, says the impact from the collision caused her to "fly about twelve feet backwards through the air and land on the ground."

A witness says the car was traveling at about 40 miles per hour. The impact left the pedicab smashed, but the woman was miraculously unhurt.

I spoke with the victim this morning and she is still in shock and disbelief -- not just because of the crash and its aftermath, but because she feels the Police Bureau has not responded adequately to a situation she says could have easily ended in a fatality.

Story continues below

"It's really strange I'm not hurt worse, he ran into me going really fast," she said. The woman -- who is about six feet tall and was dressed in a full bunny costume -- says the crash was "a direct hit" from about a block away, and that it occurred on a well-lit street.

Filmed by Bike 08-29.jpg
(Photo © J. Maus)

After the collision, the woman says she got up and approached the car. The driver of the car then allegedly offered her $100. At that point, according to a forum posting made by the pedicab operator (which has since been deleted), she yelled at the man in the car, screaming that she didn't want his money and that she'd rather see him go to jail.

A few minutes later, the man allegedly put his car in reverse and tried to leave the scene. Then, the woman says she and a friend who had arrived at the scene, "stood in front of his car so he wouldn't leave," which she admitted was, "not too smart". At that point, the woman claims the man in the car, "maliciously looked us in the face and ran into us a second time."

As the man in the car drove away, the pedicab operator reported that her friend then broke his windshield with brass knuckles and that she, "chased him down the street in my f***** bunny suit screaming."

"I'm scared go back to work because there's so much drunk driving downtown. The system we have now is you drive downtown, you get drunk, and you drive home."

The pedicab operator then says she flagged down a cop, but the cop told her, "We don't have time to play games with you." (Remember, she was wearing a fluorescent orange bunny costume).

The woman who was hit says she is "in shock and disbelief that nothing has happened" with her case.

The woman has filed an incident report but she claims the only communication from the police thus far has been an email from an officer with the Central Precinct Neighborhood Response Team.

Adding to the woman's fears, she says, is the fact that upon impact with her pedicab, "little baggies of drugs flew out of the car," likely thrown out by the driver. She says she realized they were drugs because nearby homeless people began picking them up and immediately tried to sell them.

"So apparently," she says, "this dude is a rich drug dealer of some sort, which makes the whole situation a little scarier as far as going to court is concerned."

The woman has not yet retained the services of a lawyer. She also told me this incident brings a much larger problem into focus; after hours drunk driving downtown. "I'm scared go back to work because there's so much drunk driving downtown," she said, "the system we have now is you drive downtown, you get drunk, and you drive home." She is also worried that new regulations being proposed would make it even harder for taxis and pedicab operators to do business.

The pedicab involved in this incident is operated by Portland Cascadia Pedicabs, which is owned by Ryan Hashagen. Hashagen has been busy recently in a battle with the City's Revenue Bureau about new regulations being proposed on pedicabs.

Hashagen is aware of this incident and has been in contact with the Portland Police Bureau about the pending investigation.

We have left calls for the officer working on this case, Officer Susan Abrahamson of the Central Precinct's Neighborhood Response Team, but we have not heard back yet.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • DJ Hurricane April 14, 2009 at 12:50 pm

This sounds like something out of a Cohen brothers movie. Of course, I have that feeling a lot in this town.

I have been riding downtown late at night. It is indeed full of drunk drivers. But the PPB doesn't have the resources to deal with such a minor annoyance when it has to address the major safety problem of bicyclists rolling through stop signs on a residential bike boulevard.

Anyway, GET A LAWYER!!

• pfarthing6 April 14, 2009 at 1:00 pm

...heck with the Lawyer. Get a gun, concealed weapons permit, and cell phone with a camera. I can assure you, the guy won't get away and the cops will take it seriously.

• steve April 14, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I can't wait to hear the BS that PoPo is going to post. The Portland police Department is a pathetic waste of taxpayer dollars.

Go smash your bike into a patrol car and see what happens to you.

• Dana April 14, 2009 at 1:05 pm

pfarthin6 + steve = no better than the people posting on oregonlive.com

• metal cowboy April 14, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I gotta say, Steve. I know you post a lot and have things to contribute, but calling the entire police department a waste of money doesn't help forward any meaningful discussion. If it makes you feel better I suggest doing in in front of a mirror or out in the woods. And #2, you had me fine with the camera and the cellphone... but a concealed weapon in a confrontation with what might be a drug dealer - I'm praying that story ends with a dead bunny.

• joe April 14, 2009 at 1:19 pm

this makes no sense. a dangerous hit and run is a low priority?

• Jessica Roberts April 14, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Why did her friend have brass knuckles?

• carlos April 14, 2009 at 1:34 pm

"but a concealed weapon in a confrontation with what might be a drug dealer - I'm praying that story ends with a dead bunny."

metalcowboy, I'm confused. Do you want the bunny dead because she's carrying a concealed weapon? If this is the case, then by that logic, its ok for drug dealers to carry weapons and kill people but not bunnys. Maybe you can elaborate.

• Amos April 14, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Jessica, I believe brass knuckles come standard with every bunny costume.

• Krampus April 14, 2009 at 1:40 pm

As for the gun comment, I have a concealed carry license and at no point in this altercation would someone have been able to draw their firearm legally. She should have gotten the license plate number instead of standing directly in the path of a car being driven by someone who has no intention of stopping. That is putting yourself at even greater danger. You can only draw your firearm if you are in immediate danger, which she wouldn't have been had she stepped out from in front of the car and allowed the driver to leave while she jotted down the license plate #. Granted, it wouldn't have been as TAKE CHARGE as pulling out a glock and pointing it at the driver, but you simply can't draw your firearm in that manner given the context of this incident.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) April 14, 2009 at 1:43 pm

"So the car hits the pedicab and all the sudden little bags of drugs come flying out? haha that sounds kinda far fetched doesn't it?

It might not have been clear in my story, but the woman says it was likely that the man threw the drug bags out himself before driving away.

• GLV April 14, 2009 at 1:43 pm

upon impact with her pedicab, “little baggies of drugs flew out of the car.” She says she realized they were drugs because nearby homeless people began picking them up and immediately tried to sell them.

Color me highly skeptical. A bunch of homeless people just happened to be standing around? Who were they "immediately" trying to sell these drugs to? With all those witnesses, why didn't the police take a statement?

• pfarthing6 April 14, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Krampus - So, according to that description, you'd be required to dodge the knife or baseball bat or whatever else while being assualted before drawing your weapon? NO! I think this is a car-culture response: Cars are never dangerous weapons.

I call BS on that ...though stepping in front of the car was VERY stupid.

Still, most car cabbies carry and for good reason. You CAN draw while under threat, don't need to wait until you're actually assaulted. You just can't fire unless there is no choice. A drawn weapon gives you that choice. No other reason to have a weapon.

BTW - brass knuckles are illegal and that person was lucky the dealer didn't have a gun! Talk about STUPID!! Geez!!!

• steve April 14, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I thought they were illegal as well. Here in oregon apparently, they are perfectly legal.

• steve April 14, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Breaking the window seems pretty illegal though..

• Carl April 14, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Don't believe that:
    -a hit and run driver might try to ditch drugs
    -Old Town has heaps of opportunistic homeless folks on the sidewalks?
    -pedicabbers might carry brass knuckles?

As someone who spends plenty of time in this area at night, this all seems very plausible to me.

Also: just because Jonathan didn't list the license number doesn't mean she doesn't have it.

I hope the Police wake up and prioritize this incident and that the pedicabber recover quickly.

• redhippie April 14, 2009 at 2:40 pm

What ever happened to picking up a phone and calling the cops to make an accident report. Seems like there was an awful lot of talking/standing/breaking windows going on.

• timtim April 14, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Folks, has anyone ever heard that Police officers are able to use vehicles as weapons? Its called use of excessive force for non response. I.E. you run from the cops they can run you over! When a private citizen wields a vehicle with the same deadly force, Its attempted manslaughter. It is my opinion that the police aren't treating this case with priority A. because the operator was not seriously injured. B. because there are a myriad of other ridiculous and dangerous things going on on nearly every corner downtown. C. Because pedicabs are not viewed as legitimate street vehicles by PPD or the general public, but rather as a novelty item taking up road space(which I think is bullshit.). It disappoints me that nothing is really being done about this, but I can believe it. I am just glad that no one lost limb or life.

• Ryan Hashagen April 14, 2009 at 3:14 pm

It is great that no one got hurt badly in this malicious incident. I would like to commend our pedicab drivers for taking down the appropriate identifying information: make, model, plates, and driver id. We look forward to seeing legal justice.

It seems surprising that we accept that people will be operating automobiles drunkenly downtown most nights from 1am to 3:30am in the middle of the 'Entertainment District.' We often remark that cops and pedicabs are the only coherent ones on the street. Close 2nd, 3rd, and Couch Street during these hours for a safer downtown. Having cars flying through Oldtown at 30 - 40 mph, is not safe for anyone. Car free nightlife!?

• Ryan Hashagen April 14, 2009 at 3:16 pm

The police/911 dispatch was called by the victim and witnesses as soon as the initial incident occurred.

• Nature Boy April 14, 2009 at 3:40 pm

#12 GLV. Have you ever been downtown at night? Homeless people are everywhere, and highly concentrated in the area where the crime occurred, due to the shelters in the vicinity. I know the victim in this crime. She is an outstanding and honest person. If she says that's what happened, then that is exactly what happened, no questions asked.

• MAry Sue April 14, 2009 at 3:47 pm

@GLV, when was the last time you were downtown at night?

• wsbob April 14, 2009 at 3:52 pm

She should go back to the cops with her friend that busted the windshield. The cops could put the word out for any Mercedes that come in to have a windshield repaired or replaced. The Mercedes might have some other damage too.

If everything was as she said it was, the cops response to her plea for help was terrible. Seems like there was a fair chance that, if the cops had followed right up on this collision, they might have had an easy bust.

• Yogi April 14, 2009 at 3:53 pm

I'm going to REI and buying a cannister of bear spray. Tonight.

• destin April 14, 2009 at 3:53 pm

keep us posted.

Hopefully this dangerous person will be apprehended.

What are the hit and run laws like in oregon?

• Hart April 14, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Instead going all super-rager and punching out the windshield, why not write down the license plate number?

• Bjorn April 14, 2009 at 4:03 pm

My understanding is that it isn't hit and run unless you injury someone or the damage to the vehicle exceeds some threshold. Just because you touch and leave the scene it isn't necessarily legally "leaving the scene of an accident" perhaps this is why the cops were so blase. However pedicabs look expensive and I would think that the damage from such a high speed accident would have crossed the threshold... Mostly though it reinforces my belief that if you are in a crash and talking to a cop it is best to say you think you are injured regardless of what you in your state of shock might believe and then potentially decide you are ok later because if you don't think you need to go to the hospital they don't care.

bjorn

• GLV April 14, 2009 at 4:03 pm

I've been downtown at night plenty of times. The statement "I knew there were drugs because the homeless people picked them up and immediately started to sell them" is a stunningly classist one. And it implies that there were potential customers as well. My question as to why the police did not take statements from this plethora of witnesses is perfectly valid.

• Carl April 14, 2009 at 5:00 pm

GLV,
    Did you read this part?

"The pedicab operator then says she flagged down a cop, but the cop told her, “We don’t have time to play games with you.”"

...and, although it was unclear in this article, she stated elsewhere that the people who picked up the drugs tried to sell them to the two pedicabbers. Hardly a plethora of witnesses. Still, if the police had given her the time of day, you're right: they should've questioned some of these witnesses.

Point is: I believe this story and it disappoints me that the passing police officer seems to've dismissed it.

• BURR April 14, 2009 at 5:00 pm

• destin April 14, 2009 at 5:04 pm

really? man that is wack.
    nepotism? someone "important" son perhaps?

• benschon April 14, 2009 at 5:12 pm

If a car violently collides with a bike during peak nightlife hours in Old Town (2:30 am on a weekend), and someone supposedly called 911 right away, the cops are going to be there to sort it out, quick. This account is extremely fishy.

• DJ Hurricane April 14, 2009 at 5:23 pm

811.700 Failure to perform duties of driver when property is damaged; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of failure to perform the duties of a driver when property is damaged if the person is the driver of any vehicle and the person does not perform duties required under any of the following:

(a) If the person is the driver of any vehicle involved in an accident that results only in damage to a vehicle that is driven or attended by any other person the person must perform all of the following duties:

(A) Immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close thereto as possible. Every stop required under this subparagraph shall be made without obstructing traffic more than is necessary.

(B) Remain at the scene of the accident until the driver has fulfilled all of the requirements under this paragraph.

(C) Give to the other driver or passenger the name and address of the driver and the registration number of the vehicle that the driver is driving and the name and address of any other occupants of the vehicle.

(D) Upon request and if available, exhibit and give to the occupant of or person attending any vehicle damaged the number of any documents issued as evidence of driving privileges granted to the driver.

(b) If the person is the driver of any vehicle that collides with any vehicle that is unattended, the person shall immediately stop and:

(A) Locate and notify the operator or owner of the vehicle of the name and address of the driver and owner of the vehicle striking the unattended vehicle; or

(B) Leave in a conspicuous place in the vehicle struck a written notice giving the name and address of the driver and of the owner of the vehicle doing the striking and a statement of the circumstances thereof.

(c) If the person is the driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to fixtures or property legally upon or adjacent to a highway, the person shall do all of the following:

(A) Take reasonable steps to notify the owner or person in charge of the property of such fact and of the driver’s name and address and of the registration number of the vehicle the driver is driving.

(B) Upon request and if available, exhibit any document issued as official evidence of a grant of driving privileges to the driver.

(2) The offense described in this section, failure to perform the duties of a driver when property is damaged, is a Class A misdemeanor and is applicable on any premises open to the public. [1983 c.338 §572]

• metal cowboy April 14, 2009 at 7:02 pm

RE:Dead bunnies. I don't want the bunny dead or anyone else in this situation. I just don't think people should be packing lethal weapons - both sides have guns it could turn into the OK corral out there. (my opinion not looking for a big gun discussion) I appreciate that one side could have a gun. In my thousands of miles of biek travel around the globe i carried mace/bear spray and only drew it twice, fired it once - and that was testing it. Test did not go well. Breezes in the desert can be tricky and hard to detect. Point being the best defense I had around the world was my judgement... and luck. mY original point was I'm for the cellphone and the camera but I don't think the situation called for any one to draw down.

• Anonymous 2 April 14, 2009 at 7:12 pm

The bunny's story seems imaginatively detailed. Perhaps that's why the police don't seem to be responding to it.

• LDL April 14, 2009 at 8:15 pm

I am so sorry for the driver and hope she is ok.

But why are we focusing on more violence and disbelief? I am very disappointed at the tone this conversation took.
    I think we should be focus on the fact that a person while at work (and wearing a bunny costume) almost got killed by a driver; and the driver is still out there. if the same thing were to happen to a construction crew on the freeway, there would be hell to pay. and for good reason. I think that going to work afraid is very sad and not representative of the loving, earth friendly, first worldly, north western atmosphere that we promote.

• metal cowboy April 14, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Oh, I see what happened - my post on #5 should have read "I'm praying that the story DOESN'T end with a bunny" I'm not sure where the doesn't went in my first post, I swear I put it in there, but then i'm trying to stop a bridge AND raise three boys between my day jobs. What's an important form of be between friends.

• wsbob April 14, 2009 at 9:38 pm

"It is my understanding that the license # of the vehicle was recorded and given to the police; and that the police have identified the vehicle owner but have inexplicably not pursued an arrest on a hit and run charge." BURR

If the police really have been given the LP# of the Mercedes that allegedly collided with the pedicab, and identified the vehicle owner, then it would appear they've started to investigate the incident. If they haven't pursued an arrest, there might be a number of applicable explanations for this not yet happening.

I hope the pedicab operator went to the E.R. to get checked out after the impact that caused her to “fly about twelve feet backwards through the air and land on the ground.”, even though she was as Maus reports, "...miraculously unhurt.". She should have went in ASAP, even if she didn't feel anything amiss immediately after the collision. It would be too bad if some surprise physical complications start showing up.

Maybe it was the bunny suit that cushioned her fall.

• Krampus April 14, 2009 at 9:44 pm

pfarthing: Please take a concealed carry class first and then respond. You cannot withdraw your firearm in an attempt to 'scare' someone. When you withdraw it, you better be firing it. They teach you this because if you pull your firearm out without the intention of shooting immediately, and the enemy has a firearm, they will draw theirs and shoot you first. When you withdraw, you must be prepared to shoot IMMEDIATELY. My father teaches one of the concealed carry classes here in Portland and I can get you into a class for free and waive the fee if you'd like. Let me know or message me on the forums.

• joe April 14, 2009 at 11:08 pm

mandatory bunny suits

• SkidMark April 14, 2009 at 11:33 pm

There's only one deadbuny and he had nothing to do with this.

• carless in pdx April 14, 2009 at 11:56 pm

hmm. he must not like bunnies.

In all seriousness, however, this is just terrible. I am truly glad that the woman was uninjured... there are some real jerks out there, thats for sure. Kind of scary.

• Krampus April 15, 2009 at 1:14 am

DONNIE DARKO??? :)

• k. April 15, 2009 at 9:44 am

How about posting a photo of the damaged pedi-cab? Let's see the damage for ourselves. This story does seem a bit far fetched, at least they way it's written and/or described by the victim.

• RyNO Dan April 15, 2009 at 9:52 am

Where is a picture of the damaged cab ?

• solid gold April 15, 2009 at 11:25 am

Nice way to stand in solidarity with a victim of violence folks! I thought the cops were supposed to be the uncaring hypocrites in this story, but I see we have plenty from our side on that team.

I love how the Politically Correct Biker Super Sleuth Team is all over questioning the victim. Who has multiple witnesses to confirm her story, btw.

What a bunch of spineless, naive, backbiting cowards you all sound like.

I'm also guessing that all the politically correct bikers responding have NEVER worked in a dangerous environment. You all have nice, safe office jobs from 9-5, right?

Well, when you are riding a slow moving tricycle around downtown alleys and streets, by yourself at 2 a.m. carrying several hundred dollars in cash, dealing with drunks and crackheads, you are NOT in a safe environment. Smart people carry protection of some sort (pepper spray definitely being the best), because I think this article has shown that lying on the ground calling for your mommy and the police don't usually work.

I'm guessing most of the people who blamed the victim in this situation are also supporters of police "stop sign enforcement missions" too.

• justa April 15, 2009 at 11:29 am

Well, I don't really care to contribute to this particular discussion except to say that my sentiments have already been voiced here by Nature Boy and Carl.

I also am well acquainted with the woman in question, and she is prone to neither exaggeration nor confrontation.

• pfarthing6 April 15, 2009 at 11:39 am

Krampus -

I understand your position 100%. Please be aware though that this is a philosophy. I'm not saying your wrong in your belief, but it's certainly nothing to do with the law.

Lawfully, you may use deadly force, of any kind, only under certain unavoidable conditions of self-defense. Pointing a gun at someone does not constitute deadly force and though also allowed only for self-defense, the two are not the same.

There are degrees here then and though your black and white approach maybe usefull in combat, it's hardly appropriate for civil society.

You might also consider police conduct. Do they "always" fire immediately upon drawing their weapon? No, and for good reason. They can fire in defense or to uphold the law. They are taught to refrain from firing unless necessary. Maybe this doesn't always workout, but it's the idea.

By your position, they are doing the wrong thing. And maybe you're right. Maybe cops should never pull their weapons unless they are going to kill someone. Somehow, I don't think they'd go for that since they likely feel, as I do, that a drawn and visible weapon is in itself a defense tactic.

Anyway, you might just peruse Title 16 and ORS166.190. Interesting stuff.

...but I take back that the person should have had a firearm. Considering the emotional tensions and all that. Probably would have gone bad.

• illa April 15, 2009 at 11:52 am

Every bicyclist in portland should arm themselves in some way. I prefer a blade, but there are plenty of options out there. You may "accidentally" threaten my life, but you'll only do it once.

• Mr DeJerk April 15, 2009 at 1:14 pm

+1 #3
    +1 #16
    +1 #21
    +1000 #46

• bunnysuited cabby April 15, 2009 at 1:43 pm

hi. i specifically asked that the brass knuckles not be mentioned. I didn't know they were illegal! or maybe they aren't. the person in question doesn't even know me that well and was valiently attempting to help me, for which i will be eternally grateful.

I got the plates and called 911 immediately, and then waited for close to an hour while multiple cops drove by me, dismissed me, and yes, told me they "did not have time to play games". perhaps the fact that i was mysteriously not that injured made this a lower priority. I told the cops that my head struck the pavement and honestly it still hurts.

thankyou to everyone for being supportive on this.

i am scared crapless.

• Big Marty April 15, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Sounds like a messed up situation, and I am glad she is OK.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) April 15, 2009 at 1:47 pm

"The skepticism is not completely out of place. How exactly do bags of drugs go flying out of a car when it hits a pedicab? Where were they sitting before the collision?

• Big Marty April 15, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Ahh ok, that clears it up. I had wondered if it was just the wording.

• bunnysuited cabby April 15, 2009 at 2:41 pm

oh my goodness. okay. so after all this craziness happened i was feeling completely overwhelmed and went home and posted a blog type thing, assuming it would be read by a few of my friends and that's it. i was moreso approaching it in a "get a load of MY crazy night" kind of way.

i did not intend for this account to be public information. although it is accurate.

however, i really didn't want to accuse this guy publically of drug trafficking, for obvious personal safety reasons.

also, i didn't know that brass knuckles were illegal. i mentioned them as more of a "check out how much of a badass my friend is who was actually able to help me and was prepared for this situation, unlike me who was in my pajamas and just hysterical" kind of way. if there is any legal crap that comes of that slip up, i will take full monetary responsibility, pay any fines incurred, etc. etc. i am eternally sorry, did not realize i was letting anything slip. SO SORRY. THANKYOU.

also, the officer who did help me was fairly compassionate about the situation and expressed her shock that noone had helped me sooner, so props to her. She seemed extremely overwhelmed and overworked. she was just trying to do her job in the midst of the bloodbath that is downtown when the bars let out. and as for the other cops, i can only assume that they did not realize the severity of what just happened, although i am mystified about why the cop lights were not immediately on to go catch this guy who was STILL on the road once i told the story.

and i know it was stupid to stand in front of this guy's car. i was feeling a little braveheartish. one puny easter bunny against the hordes of drunken mercedes drivers or some crap like that.

i heard from others who saw the guy leaving the scene that he was going up on curbs. thank god noone was killed or injured (at least to my knowledge).

being one of the few sober people out on the street every weekend night, you develop a sort of preschool teacher mentality, attempting to help the drunken public to not hurt themselves or each other, which usually involves encouraging people to stop laying in the middle of the road and etc.

i just felt like i could not allow this guy to drive away after he hit us TWICE.

and by the way, the window was broken as we were sliding off the hood of his car while he blatantly was trying to run us over.

which really, i think is beyond justified.

• Phr3dly April 15, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Umm...

I *want* to believe.

But let me get this straight.

A guy in a Mercedes drives 40mph into a pedicab with a 6 foot female operator wearing a fluorescent orange bunny suit. She flies 12 feet through the air but miraculously lands cat-like (bunny-like?) unhurt.

The impact of his 5000 pound car with her pedicab causes bags of drugs to fly out of his car. Homeless people grab the drugs and start selling them. Meanwhile giant bunny's buddy shows up wearing some brass knuckles.

Mr. Mercedes decides to run over giant bunny and brass knuckles, and then drives off after brass knuckles breaks his windshield with said weapon.

And amazingly, despite the several minute duration of this altercation, giant bunny and brass knuckles failed to take note of Mr. Mercedes' license plate.

Yeah, No idea at all why the police would think someone made this story up.

• Will Radik April 15, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Just another reason we should turn the roads downtown into sidewalks.

• bunnysuited cabby April 15, 2009 at 4:20 pm

i got the damn plates already. and i am very athletic and used to tumbling off of stuff without getting hurt. but yes it was fucking wierd and terminatorish. i am not saying this shit is not wierd.

• Nature Boy April 15, 2009 at 5:57 pm

#56 You *want* to believe? No you fucking don't. Your "skepticism" is just a cover for your need to nitpick an informative story to death, which has already been done by the real skeptics who nitpicked the story to death, which have already been clarified by Jonathan#11,53, and the VICTIM#51,55,58 and Bike Portland contributers who paid ATTENTION when reading the story . And anything else I would add about your demeanor has already been covered by a long time pedicab Veteran and friend in #46.

• Lee April 15, 2009 at 8:54 pm

If you get a firearm; dryfire, train consistently and learn the laws. You have to stop a threat, protect yourself and keep those around you safe. It's a big responsibility. That said, you can do it.

Glad you're okay.

• bunnysuited cabby April 15, 2009 at 10:12 pm

i hate it that the drugs being thrown out the window made it into this. that was something that was told to me by some bystanders. i did not see it. i will not testify to that in court. i don't give a rat's ass about people selling drugs. that is their business. it's fine with me. it only came up as a possible reason why it might be a bad idea to try to prosecute this person for running me over. in my book, selling drugs is whatever. i don't give a fuck. and really, totally irrelevent. seriously. running me over, however, is NOT OK. i would like to hereby proclaim my extreme disinterest and lack of malice on the drugs issue. the internet is ridiculous. i kind of hate it's guts.

• Rixtir April 16, 2009 at 8:08 am

Well, if you didn't see it, you wouldn't be allowed to testify about it anyway-- that would be hearsay.

Glad you weren't seriously injured.

• GLV April 16, 2009 at 8:11 am

"what folks are missing (and perhaps it was my fault for not making it clear), is that the baggies of drugs were thrown out of the car...by the suspected drug dealer. they didn't fly out.. they were thrown...allegedly."

Jonathan, you keep saying "sorry if this wasn't clear" but the truth is, your story did not say anything to that effect at all. Your exact words:

"upon impact with her pedicab, “little baggies of drugs flew out of the car.” "

Based on the information you provided, I don't think it's unreasonable for people to assume the impact caused the baggies to fly from the car, and to question how exactly that happened. You might want to update the actual story, as many readers aren't going to slog through the comments.

• HHRabbit April 17, 2009 at 12:03 am

So remember that next time you put on a bunny suit. Do you really want your next of kin to identify you that way in the morgue.

ps had this nick here since 07

• sam April 18, 2009 at 11:29 pm

#30 states: "It is my understanding that the license # of the vehicle was recorded and given to the police; and that the police have identified the vehicle owner but have inexplicably not pursued an arrest on a hit and run charge."

I can tell you from personal experience, I was involved in a car-on-car hit and run, and although we were able to give the cops license plate and description info, they wrote it up but never pursued it. The police report even had the guy's name and address in it (looked up from his plate # I assume), but the cops never did a thing.

• joe April 20, 2009 at 9:34 am

keep us posted on how this develops. two things:
    1. drug customers are much more likely to throw their drugs out the window than a dealer would be.
    2. 6 ft tall, athletic, indestructible, bunny suit wearing pedicab driver? do you need any comforting? ;)

glad you made it through this ok.

• jami April 20, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Hey bunnysuit, glad you're okay and sorry The Internet is being kind of a dick to you.

If the police continue to treat your vehicular assault as a hilarious funny joke, you might consider contacting a lawyer through the BTA:

Good luck!

• Caroline April 21, 2009 at 12:04 pm

April fools is April 1st.