Posted by Elly Blue (Columnist) on April 10th, 2009 at 3:34 pm
Thanks to BikePortland intern J.R., we have a bunch of new events posted.
And just in time, as the seasonal event explosion is beginning.
Here are some of the weekend’s highlights. Grease up your chain and get out there!
– There used to be a pub crawl every year or so that stopped at many of the non-smoking bars in town. Now that every bar is smoke-free, organizers are planning a “SMUG Crawl” on Friday the tenth (tonight!) — which, in an attempt to cover the entire town, has eight distinct starting points all over town. See the Shift calendar for meetup locations and the acronym spelled out.
– After hours on Friday is the monthly Midnight Mystery Ride. Meet at 11, ride at midnight. This one meets way out at SE 81st and Stark at a place called The Observatory (or you can drink at Roscoe’s next door). Rumor has it that many of the SMUG rides will converge on this point.
– Care deeply about energy issues? Want to learn more about the proposed Liquified Natural Gas pipelines that soon may be installed west of Portland? Head out to Forest Grove on Saturday for Bike the Pipe to learn about the pipe’s potential impacts and opportunities for citizen action.
– Wonder what was behind all the talk at last weekend’s anti-12 lane CRC rally about the Mt Hood Freeway, Harbor Drive, and other freeways that don’t exist? Shawn Granton’s always popular Dead Freeways Ride on Saturday will more than satisfy your curiosity.
– On Sunday, the 6th annual Bunny on a Bike ride is the event not to miss. Ears required.
Use the comments below to plug your own events, discuss your plans, or recap your weekend bike fun.Email This Post