Weekend Open Thread: Share your bike fun

Posted by on February 14th, 2009 at 8:52 am

MiniBikeWinter-Chariot Wars-48.jpg
A scene from the Mini Bike Winter
Chariot Wars in 2008.
(Photo © J. Maus)

Greetings from Guadalajara! I am having an amazing time down here and I can’t wait to share more about my trip (I return to Portland on Monday afternoon).

On Sunday, I will join some new friends on the “Via Recreativa”. This is an event where 25 km of Guadalajara’s city streets are closed to motorized vehicles. It is what Sunday Parkways wants to be when it grows up.

Story continues below

On Monday, I’ve got an appointment to ride to work with the Mayor (they also call him el Presidente) of Guadalajara. He rides to work and does all city business on a bicycle each third Monday.

What are your plans for the weekend? If you need ideas, check out our Weekend Guide.

Is it still snowing? I hate to say it, but the weather here is magical. Daytime highs in the mid-upper 80s and evenings in the 65-70 range.

I miss being near the Portland bike spirit, so I would really love to hear about your bike plans — especially Mini Bike Winter!

And Happy Valentines Day. Con amor desde Guadalajara!

Comments
  • P Finn February 14, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Each third Monday? Que?

• mike February 14, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Chariot wars were fun!

Cheers to the warriors and those that helped the day’s events come together from breakfast to corking the ride to those cleaning up the bottle rockets and beer caps at the end of the event.

Thanks for keeping Portland’s bike culture weird and geared!

• Jean M. February 14, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Worst Day Ride for me! No costume, except whatever I need to keep my dry in the supposed wind, snow, and rain. Looking forward to pints, donuts, and soup at the LL!

• K'Tesh February 15, 2009 at 11:06 pm

My photos of the 2009 Worst Day of the Year Ride are being uploaded… about 20 or so at a time… It looks like I got about 200 images from the short ride before my battery gave out.

• nobleviola February 15, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Worst Day of the Year Ride – what a great, fun morning this was. Made me fall in love with Portland all over again. Slideshow of photos here.

• Cecil February 16, 2009 at 7:48 am

Did a very fast and mostly hilly unplanned 100 miles on Saturday, and a very slow and mostly flat planned 125 on Sunday (a 200K permanent brevet). The incessant wind in the Valley on Sunday made the route much tougher than Saturday’s climbs. I was just happy that the weather reports were so incredibly wrong.

• max ogden February 16, 2009 at 1:30 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxorific/sets/72157613892238986/ i got some great photos from the cupcake challenge and the halftime show at mbw

• Greg Raisman February 16, 2009 at 7:47 pm
  • Brad Reber February 16, 2009 at 11:55 pm

I took some shots of the MBW brunch and chariot race but I had to skip out before the chariot wars. Oh, well. Maybe next year.

On Sunday I did a century loop out to Vernonia with a few friends. Cold and rainy in the morning but it turned out to be a beautiful day to ride by afternoon. I took a few shots at the top of the Scappoose-Vernonia Hwy before my point-and-shoot finally died.