Weekend Open Thread: Share your bike fun

Posted by on January 31st, 2009 at 10:31 am

Bike Back the Night-22.jpg
Waterfront Park
(Photo © J. Maus)

What are you doing on your bike this weekend?

If you need an idea or two, check out our Weekend Guide.

Whatever your plans are, we’d love to hear about them. Share adventures, photos, and ride reports in the comments below.

Bundle up and have a great weekend.

Comments
  • Paul Tay January 31, 2009 at 10:52 am

Eat yer heart out, PDX!

• bikieboy January 31, 2009 at 11:14 am

Superbowl ride: exceptionally light traffic!.. just make sure you get yourself off the road by the time the game ends…

• Travis Wittwer January 31, 2009 at 12:50 pm

The MLC Bike Bus (http://mlcnorthportlandbikebus.wordpress.com/) is doing some filming for Filmed By Bike. It has been fun to work with the youths, turing their ideas into film. Even in the cold, everyone was full of spirits.

• Suburban January 31, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Although I normally insist on being a roadie…I obtained a free Huffy mountain Bicycle.
    I took this free bicycle to a place between some buildings where there is just dirt. I rode this free bike on the free dirt 90min,and got all sweaty and dirty.
    My arms could be stronger if I did this more.

• Dottie January 31, 2009 at 4:31 pm

My bike fun was participaing in Chicago’s critical mass ride last night (annual Polka ride). There was a decent size group of hardy souls for the 10 degree ride and I had a good time until my hands and feet went completely numb :)

• Paul January 31, 2009 at 5:11 pm

I’m looking for a new/used bike this weekend. My requirements:

Approx. 60cm
    Internal gearing: 3-speed or higher
    FULL chaincase
    fenders
    rear rack
    dynamo-powered lights
    sit-up and beg riding position

Anyone have anything?

• Aaron January 31, 2009 at 7:40 pm

rode the WES train to Wilsonville
    then attended the Sellwood Bridge rally

• beth h January 31, 2009 at 8:21 pm

I’ve been feeling pretty beat up by the weather lately and it took a lot of self-prodding to get me out and on my bike.

I had time for just a little neighborhood ride today, a loop to Interstate and back around Peninsula Park. The park is quiet and dormant for now, but around the corner from my house the first tips of crocuses are beginning to show.

Glad I rode, but wow! I am getting SO tired of the cold. I can’t wait for highs in the 50′s again.

• K'Tesh January 31, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Uploaded my pics of te Sellwood Bridge rally…

See you at Vera tommorrow… =)

• Afro Biker February 1, 2009 at 7:47 am

Yeah expect a lot of road rage and drunks after the “Stooperbowl”.

• brian February 1, 2009 at 9:11 am

Why would anyone insist on being a roadie?

• Crash N. Burns February 1, 2009 at 11:23 am

A mellow 10 miles to and from to watch Superbowl, enjoy some winter BBQ, and chicken wing competition. Last time I checked it was still OK to like Football and bicycles.

#10 – This would differ from a Friday or Saturday night work commute how?

• Suburban February 1, 2009 at 11:39 am

I included that bit to help illustrate how rare and wonderful my shredding about in the mud experience was, but too to ring my own bell and let the world know I’m not only a lycra clad meter eater, but a genuine suburban neighborhood kid at heart.

• Cecil February 1, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Rode 20 miles out to Hillsboro Saturday AM for the Portland Velo weekly ride, did 48 miles with the group at what was a pretty brisk pace for a gal on a heavy steel rando bike, and then rode 20 miles home. Not bad for the last day of January.

The freezing fog and zero-traction pavement on the way up and over Sylvan at 7:30 AM was, um, special . . . fortunately the pavement had warmed up enough to melt the ice by the time I headed back up and over in the afternoon.

Sunday I just rode across town to friend Beth’s birthday party – felt Saturday’s ride in my quads as I hit that short but steep hill on NE 16th just before Prescott. Ow.

• Patrick McMahon February 1, 2009 at 6:03 pm

A group of us in Baltimore did a bike/ped move. Short (just 2 1/2 blocks) but it’s a start. There are photos on Facebook and I’ll try to post some in a more accessible location.

• Heather February 1, 2009 at 6:13 pm

OMG. The Easy Riders See St. Johns Ride was an epic turnout for such cold weather…THIRTY-FIVE came out! In Brad Reber’s words: “It was like an invasion of the Visigoths into St. Johns!” It was so awesome meeting so many new people- you people are totally COOL! K’tesh will be posting a link to pics soon…

(thanks Jonathan for the shout-out!)

• mike February 1, 2009 at 8:22 pm

I would have gone on the Easy Riders ride to St, Johns, but I was too hammered watching the Steelers win the Superbowl.

I wonder where their next ride will be?

• Carl February 1, 2009 at 8:25 pm

It´s been a crazy weekend down here in Mexico City. I don´t know where to start. The streets here are simultaneously delightful and horrifically dangerous and the new Mayor has done some amazing things for biking. The few bikers are hearty, organized, and incredibly friendly. Shout-outs to Bicitekas, Lunaticos, y Bicirrossis! I pity the first folks I meet up with in Portland after getting back. They´re going to get an earful of stories.

• K'Tesh February 1, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Pics of the Easy Riders jaunt to St. Johns are being uploaded as I type this… I’m estimating that I have about 200 plus images.

Had fun! Wish you could have joined us! =)

• Heather February 1, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Hi Mike! We missed you, but glad you got hammered, yay Steelers!

We’re thinking a Valentines ride on Sat the 14th…it’s still in the works, so keep a lookout on the BikePortland forums and Shift list…

• bahueh February 2, 2009 at 9:26 am

Group training ride. 70 miles.
    Driver cut us off by turning left in front of us…three riders went down.
    Driver fled scene. Pile up was directly in front of a fire station so they were immediately attended to. Good luck.

but kharma prevailed….another driver saw the accident, tailed the driver, got his license number, pulled him over, told him what he did….he of course played dumb.

Driver returned to scene of accident…cops arrived…ticketed driver for $800!! field sobriety test, the whole works…. Justice.

damage total: a broken helmet. a bent derailleur. some lost skin. a couple shattered nerves. all was good in the end though.

• Paul Tay February 2, 2009 at 9:33 am

#21, Bahueh, oh yeah, right. Go ‘head. GLOAT. Sum peeps have all da FUN. Glad ya survived for the next riot.

• bahueh February 2, 2009 at 10:22 am

I don’t know, Paul T….if I would call that situation “fun”. :)

I’m glad the driver was held accountable, even though he fled the scene initially…that is a rarity in itself.

I’m sure that was part of the charges piled on…the officer was super cool about it though and had our best interests in mind…probably didn’t hurt that a fireman and several other drivers witnessed the entire thing..

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) February 2, 2009 at 10:29 am

my weekend was O.K…. but coming into work this morning i realized someone had broken into our office! i lost several good camera lenses, two digital audio recorders, our backup camera, and other odds and ends… dang.

• Jeff TB February 2, 2009 at 11:00 am

Huge bummer, Jonathan. Sorry to hear that.

• K'Tesh February 2, 2009 at 11:30 am

Once again,

Jonathan, I’m sorry to hear about the burglary…

I hope that the items are recovered and fast, and the thief gets their just reward.