Weekend open thread: Happy Halloween! [Video]

Posted by on October 31st, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Shark-on-a-bike Elly Blue.
(Photo J. Maus

It’s been a while since I left an open thread up over the weekend. Hopefully you haven’t forgotten the drill.

Do you have bikey Halloween plans tonight? The hot tip is North Freak’s Freak Friday Halloween Party Ride (oh man that’s going to be good).

Will you take on the Barton Park gravel course with the rest of the Cross Crusaders on Sunday?

Whatever adventures you’re up to, feel free to share them in the comments below.

For a bit of Halloween and cyclocross inspiration, check out the fun (and very well made) video below from last weekend’s Crusade craziness in Astoria. (Video by Dan Kaufman of CrankMyChain! CycleTV:

Comments
  • Cecil October 31, 2008 at 7:31 pm

I am looking forward to a wet 100K populaire with the Oregon Randonneurs that starts at the Grand Lodge in Forest Grove and takes the scenic route to the sausage festival in Verboort (by way of Snooseville and Cedar Canyon). I will be avoiding any actual contact with the sausage or those who choose to eat it, but the ride will be fun!

• rlk October 31, 2008 at 11:20 pm

Is Elly Blue single? :)

• Mark Allyn October 31, 2008 at 11:36 pm

I have finally finished the re-decoration of my lighted bicycle and restoration of my lighted jacket!

I did a brief inaugural ride with the lights tonight at about 6:30 PM through some of the neighborhoods in inner SE (including getting lost in Ladd’s).

It dazzled the kids trick or treating and raised hoops and wows from everyone else.

Unfortunately I had to cut it short as I am fighting a head cold & fever and needed to get inside where it’s warm, missing the freak ride later this evening.

I hope to have some pictures up later this weekend when I have some more energy.

Luv

Mark Allyn

• Mark Allyn November 1, 2008 at 7:16 am

I’ve got good news; pictures of the new lighted bike and jacket are now on line at

If that link does not work, just go to http://www.allyn.com and click on the bicycle lighting gallary.

Johnathon, you do have my permission if you want to publish any of these pictures . . .

Mark

• Travis Wittwer November 1, 2008 at 8:00 am

GrrrrRRRRrrrrRRr!

• Travis Wittwer November 1, 2008 at 8:01 am

Ahh, the comments box won’t accept my photo. Here is a link:

• Cecil November 1, 2008 at 3:47 pm

Mark, I passed you on Ladd Ave last night on my commute home – I was very impressed with the restored jacket!

• shawn. November 1, 2008 at 4:36 pm

RLK, re: post 2,
    Sorry, Elly is not available.

• Mark Allyn November 1, 2008 at 9:02 pm

Cecil:

Thank you for the compliment!

Mark

• dutch November 2, 2008 at 9:42 pm

the costumes were amazing on the north freak ride! was tons of fun and we even caught the chain reaction/sprockettes performance at howl on a stop!

• the "other" steph November 3, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Lily’s bike move and Halloween Party Hop was a ok. also this weekend took my first foray up and over Skyline for a wedding reception. folks at the party were mostly not bikey and very impressed and fascinated that someone could bike there from NoPo. it was a hoot.

• Glenn January 14, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Cool video, and -excellent- sound track. Very nize.