Page Two
Welcome to Page Two; where we post tidbits that aren't quite ready for the Front Page. Want more? Browse the Page Two archives.

‘All you need to know’ about Palin and Obama?

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on September 17th, 2008 at 1:06 pm

According to Streetsblog, there's an interesting meme about Sarah Palin and Barack Obama's two-wheeled preference going around the right-leaning blogosphere. Here's more from editor Aaron Naparstek:

"These two images (below) have been floating around the right wing blogosphere under the shrieky, all-caps headline, "THIS IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW."

One of the websites is To The Point News ("The oasis for rational conservatives"). Here's how they presented the story last week:

"Harley Girl"

"Schwinn Guy"

Underscoring the perception of toughness and wimpiness that these two photos are meant to reinforce, a commenter on To The Point News, proposes we decide our next President by an arm wrestling match between Palin and Obama. "Winner takes all," he/she writes, "And to make it somewhat fair, Barack can use both arms."

UPDATE, 2:28pm: Upon further consideration, I moved this post from the Front Page to Page Two -- Editor.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • poser September 17, 2008 at 1:11 pm

I guess they\'re right. That IS all I need to know.

(They\'re also right in that he needs a little air in his back tire...)

• kg September 17, 2008 at 1:17 pm

I think it\'s funny that riding my bike up mountains supposedly makes me a wimp and twisting a throttle is supposed to be a sign of strength. I guess when your whole life view is based on the premise that up is down just about anything can make sense.

How about a game of basketball to settle the matter. Obama vs the entire McCain campaign.

• Tall Mike September 17, 2008 at 1:25 pm

What is Obama towing? His girls? Or is he participating in a Chicago \"move by bike?\"

Funny how Palin is getting all the press, What about McCain? Ain\'t he sexy enough for the press in his cardigans?

• Evan September 17, 2008 at 1:26 pm

That\'s it. I\'m going to quit riding my bike and go ride around on the motorcycle equivalent of a Suburban in shorts. Better yet, I\'ll do it in Alaska, where I can only ride the thing a few months a year.

A Vice President who rides a motorcycle, even a poseur on a Harley, I can deal with. But one who likes to ride a snowmobile and an ATV? No, not really, no.

Notice that thing behind Obama\'s bike? It\'s either a kid trailer or a kid tandem. How can you make fun of the guy for being a good parent and a family man?

Oh, and judging by the pics, Obama is definitely wearing a helmet, even if it\'s not required. Pinup girl is wearing her hair UP while riding a motorcycle. Not likely she uses a helmet...or has much in there to protect if she did.

Yep, all I need to know.

• peejay September 17, 2008 at 1:31 pm

kg

The entire McCain campaign, after losing 108-23, will say Obama was \"sexist\" for backing up and taking the trey every time Sarah Palin covered him instead of trying to beat her off the dribble. Then they would claim that basketball was some sort of \"elitist\" sport, like, you know, pool, and not like bowling. They would issue a press release saying that while the manly men (and woman) of the McCain campaign all drank Budweiser* and Coors** during timeouts, Obama drank orange juice, a known commie beverage. Finally, they would just lie about the score, claiming a 51-49 victory, and the media would report both scores, asking their viewers to decide for themselves who really won.

*Belgian-owned
    **Canadian-owned

• Jebus September 17, 2008 at 1:47 pm

That is just awful... he is blatantly riding a Trek and not a Schwinn...

• ralph September 17, 2008 at 1:48 pm

The motorcycle in question was one that was donated to the Elk Lodge for a fund raiser attended by Gov Palin, it is not her motorcycle.

They raised $10K and the funds went to the Wounded Warrior Project.

\"The mission of the Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) is to raise public awareness and enlist the public’s aid for the needs of severely injured service men and women, to help severely injured service members to aid and assist each other, and to provide unique, direct programs and services to meet their needs.\"

Both are using the prejudices of the reader base to make assumptions about the persons in the photo. Depending on your viewpoint you can make positive or negative statements about both candidates based on these photos.

Move it over to page two where it belongs, because nothing of value has been added to the original post, just a different set of prejudices have been applied.

• woogie September 17, 2008 at 1:50 pm

Jebus,

Why a Schwinn over a Trek?

Both come from the great state of Wisconsin.

Mind you only one of those companies actually builds bikes in the U.S., guess which one?

• a.O September 17, 2008 at 1:54 pm

This is what you talk about when you know you will lose on the merits of every policy discussion.

Demand the candidates and the media -- especially the media -- start discussing health care, education, energy, the wars and stop focusing on this irrelevant BS.

• Andy September 17, 2008 at 1:56 pm

I hate one issue voters. They\'re as bad as undecided voters.

• Jesus Christ - God of War September 17, 2008 at 1:56 pm

I\'m sure that Little Muffy McPalin had to ask her husband\'s permission to sit on his friend\'s Hogsley Fuerguson.

Obama is a man of the 21st Century. Seems he can ride just fine, thank you very much.

Muffy McPalin is a woman of, what, the 12th Century? She and her ilk have no seemingly good new ideas about how to deal with anything.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) September 17, 2008 at 1:58 pm

\"I disagree with the initial post from \"To the Point News\", but also disagree with how this is used here.\"

Thanks for the input ralph... but I think if you re-read my post you\'ll notice I presented this completely objectively without an \"set of prejudices\" whatsoever.

I considered putting it on Page Two, but didn\'t.

thanks.

• Arem September 17, 2008 at 2:07 pm

peejay:

Hilarious!

Of course, to battle back they could always throw Obama on a Ducati 996 as a throw-down equivalent.

• nuovorecord September 17, 2008 at 2:21 pm

I\'d prefer to hear the roar of Obama\'s Triumph!

• Caroline September 17, 2008 at 2:24 pm

I guess that means Sarab Palin really isn\'t concerned about a fuel crisis!

...Anyway, she\'s sitting side-saddle in a mini-skirt on someone else\'s hog. It\'s not as if she even knows how to ride the thing! Ask her!

• maddy13 September 17, 2008 at 2:24 pm

Obama\'s bike seems awful small:) He needs to raise his seat.

• Jesus Christ - God of War September 17, 2008 at 2:26 pm

That the motorcycle Little Muffy McPalin is sitting on was somehow to raise awareness of the needs of severely injured service people does nothing to engender my sympathy nor to gain my support for her.

It should, if people were thinking carefully about these issues, raise awareness of just how the NeoKons, who now control Little Muffy McPalin, have failed to provide long term support for the military the NeoKons sent off to prosecute Emperor Bush\'s and Darth Cheney\'s \"wars\".

Thinking back to the Wounded Warrior comment, it is clear that the message in these two images is that McCan\'t and McPalin would continue to fail to provide proper services for those in long term need.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) September 17, 2008 at 2:29 pm

note: Upon further consideration, I moved this post over to Page Two.

• vespabelle September 17, 2008 at 2:43 pm

Trail-a-bikers for Obama!

• brewcaster September 17, 2008 at 3:15 pm

That\'s a Trek. Idiots.

• peejay September 17, 2008 at 3:37 pm

a.O.

I wish we could talk about issues, but since we\'re stuck with the media we have, not the media we wished we had (like from just a few decades ago, before the FCC broke down the few regulations we did have, and there were more than five companies who controlled 99% of our media), we have to compete using their rules. Since they\'re a lot nastier than we ever could be, we\'d better be smarter and funnier than they are. Based on the pathetic jokes they\'ve tried so far, I like our chances.

• JohnO September 17, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Bah on the arm wrestling. I propose a combined strength/intelligence test that\'s quite simple:

If what you\'re riding tips over, are you strong enough to get it upright?

I\'d pay money to see War-Barbie try and wrestle that pig (er, sorry, couldn\'t resist) back onto its wheels.

• Evan September 17, 2008 at 3:41 pm

It\'s always good to know the whole story, thanks Ralph.

So...knowing the story...does this mean that To the Point News should be nailed for running the photo out of context?

Sure would be cool to see Palin out in front of CCC showing the bikes she donated for needy adults and children to free them from their cars. But I won\'t hold my breath.

• matt picio September 17, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Ugh. The comments on \"To The Point News\" are just plain scary.

I think this really *does* illustrate the difference between the two candidates. Obama is actively doing something while Palin is just standing around looking good for the camera.

Bicycle: efficient, quiet, environmentally responsible, self-powered.

Harley: wasteful, noisy, environmentally damaging, needs a worldwide industrial infrastructure in order to run.

(at least a Harley is still more efficient than an SUV)

This reminds me of that Microsoft ad where they show the programmer who is unsuccessful (with a bike helmet in the background) and then show him after he\'s invested in Microsoft training materials and he has BMW car keys and women flocked around him.

Uh, yeah - right.

It\'s a shame we still have people who think like this in today\'s society, while we\'re facing resource depletion, climate change, and numerous other societal and global challenges.

• matt picio September 17, 2008 at 4:13 pm

Jonathan - I think this one actually *belongs* on Page One. This is a textbook example of the way society sees people on bikes - cylists are viewed as riding toys, cycling is not viewed as a legitimate mode of transportation, It\'s not a partisan issue - there are Democrats out there also who view cycling as a niche mode, and are convinced that US cities will never maintain more than a 5% mode share, despite the fact that European cities with worse weather than most cities in the US have 4x the mode share (or more) of even the more \"enlightened\" cities like Portland.

I mean, you make the editorial decisions of course - your right, your site. I think you called it right the first time, though.

• Graham September 17, 2008 at 4:19 pm

This stuff is maddening because it: 1) is so stupid, and 2) apparently helps decide elections.

The Obama picture is of him with his daughter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obeHJmmhLkc (not sure what\'s up with the clicking sound in that video). Seen in the original context, it\'s pretty adorable. However, they cut the daughter out of the pic to shield her from press exposure. Good on \'em, but the resulting image took on a life of its own (do a google image search for Obama bicycle to see what I mean.)

The comments in that tothepointnews forum are something else. Like: \"The Harley Girl does more than just send a chill up my leg.\" Yikes. If they get that excited about a veep based on how she looks on a motorcycle - while being in no way dressed or otherwise prepared to actually *ride* a motorcycle - have I got a candidate for them: http://tinyurl.com/4elzep.

• Graham September 17, 2008 at 4:20 pm

Oops, the period messed up the link: http://tinyurl.com/4elzep

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) September 17, 2008 at 4:21 pm

\"Jonathan - I think this one actually *belongs* on Page One. \"

thanks Matt.

i put it here on Page Two not so much because of the story itself but because I noticed the comments were quickly headed in a bad direction.

they seem to have leveled off now (thanks to folks like you), so I might switch it back.. how\'s that for a flip-flopper!

• peejay September 17, 2008 at 4:32 pm

I noticed the comments were quickly headed in a bad direction

Well, asking us to comment on a political story in a right-wing blog that tries to make the kind of point that we cannot even properly satirize because it\'s so preposterous, yet actually seems to convince voters, of course we\'re going to have some fun with it.

I vote for Page 2 and a light touch with the comments. Let us vent. Because if we can\'t laugh, we\'d have to cry!

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) September 17, 2008 at 4:40 pm

thanks peejay. my oversensitivity to the comments was rooted in my feeling that it maybe didn\'t belong on Front Page to begin with.

I have absolutely no problem with the content of the comments and please... vent away!

• peejay September 17, 2008 at 4:42 pm

And then let me comment on this Wounded Warrior Project a little.

Isn\'t it great that we run charities to help fix the broken lives of people who were tricked into fighting meaningless wars to satisfy the bloodlust of the Neocons in power. Why do we need the charities? Because the government that sent you to war doesn\'t really care about you when you come home. But let\'s have a charity event, where we can all wave our flags and feel all patriotic, so maybe someone can get a better plastic leg to hobble around on for the rest of his life. And thanks, Sarah Palin, for using such an event to puff up your All-American-ness, which is so much more important to voters than actual qualifications, or positions on stuff.

• 2GOAT September 17, 2008 at 5:08 pm

If you want a little substance: the following is a list of books that Sarah Palin tried to
    get banned when she was mayor of Wasilla.
    [This information is taken from the official minutes of the Wasilla Library
    Board. When the librarian refused to get rid of these books, Palin tried to get her fired .]
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
    Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy
    Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl
    Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones by Alvin Schwartz
    Scary Stories in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
    Separate Peace by John Knowles
    Silas Marner by George Eliot
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
    Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs
    Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
    Webster\'s Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary by the Merriam-Webster
    Editorial Staff
    Witches, Pumpkins, and Grinning Ghosts: The Story of the Halloween
    Symbols by Edna Barth

• new cyclist gal September 17, 2008 at 5:08 pm

peejay, thank you. Well said.

• peejay September 17, 2008 at 5:33 pm

2GOAT:

With a couple of exceptions, that\'s not a bad summer reading list! I bet whoever read all those books would be better qualified to be VP than a hockey mom!

Of course one can do both, but I\'m fairly certain Palin didn\'t read more than a handful of those books.

• Eileen September 17, 2008 at 6:39 pm

Okay, things I do not consider important to be President:

1)Physical strength
    2)Someone who seems like a \"regular guy\" (this is why most Bush supporters picked him - they could imagine him at their dinner table)
    3) The person who could put down the most shots.

Okay, I don\'t have time to think of more. Short list. But being able to win at arm wrestling doesn\'t really say squat about what kind of president someone will be. WE are not living in caveman times where the leader of the tribe is the one who wins the fight.
    And since when is Palin the presidential candidate? All of a sudden it\'s a race between Obama and Palin.

• Joyce September 17, 2008 at 6:57 pm

2GOAT: that book list is a hoax, if you haven\'t figured it out by now.

• wsbob September 17, 2008 at 8:10 pm

2GOAT, that\'s a great booklist! Might it be that this is actually a list of books Ms Palin wanted banned so she could bargain basement pick em up all at one time and stock her own home library shelves with them? Just joking of course... . I\'m sure she would never do something so absurd.

• matt picio September 17, 2008 at 8:32 pm

How in the world can anyone want to ban \"How to Eat Fried Worms\"? Why not ban \"The Great Brain\" series at the same time? It\'s no more or less objectionable.

I am totally not surprised to see \"The Catcher in the Rye\", which was my favorite book my first term in college.

And \"Flowers for Algernon\" - Holy Crap! She may as well have banned \"Fahrenheit 451\" while she was at it.

I think the librarian would be the better VP candidate - we already know she has integrity, fortitude and perseverance.

• Ben McLeod September 17, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Uh... I hate to be the one to point it out, but that list is bogus.

That said, I agree with KG\'s comment, \"I think it\'s funny that riding my bike up mountains supposedly makes me a wimp and twisting a throttle is supposed to be a sign of strength.\"

Why is it that people who don\'t ride bikes think that those of us that do are wimpy, or less macho, or what ever other negative term they can think of?

The right wingers that started this \"All you need to know\" crap couldn\'t even see that he\'s riding a Trek.

Add to this the fact that she\'s an anti-choice, anti-environmental, evangelical creationist and that is all I need to know.

• a.O September 17, 2008 at 9:48 pm

I know this thread it dead, but I have the answer to that BS. Here is all you need to know:

• wsbob September 17, 2008 at 10:03 pm

Ben, thanks for pointing out that misinformation. I knew it was too absurd to be true, but good for a laugh none the less. Interesting though, to consider the possible implications of Ms Palin\'s \'rhetorical\' question to the librarian about how she would respond if the mayor asked her to remove some books from the library.

Sounds as though the librarian, Mary Ellen answered that question just fine(Mary Ellen, any interest in being a VP 4 years from now?)

• ralph September 18, 2008 at 6:51 am

Jonathan,

You had to know that those same photos would inflame your reader base in the opposite direction.

Without using the article as a place to start a discussion on the issues regarding alternative transportation and the candidates view on said issues you added nothing but fuel to the fire as demonstrated by the continued presentation of bogus information presented by the \"left wing blog-o-shere\" in this comments section.

• a.O September 18, 2008 at 9:00 am

Sounds like you\'re the one feeling inflamed, Ralph. Maybe try some Preparation H. Or get your own blog.

• ralph September 18, 2008 at 9:24 am

a.O

Sorry I\'m trying to be the voice of reason and get a dialog started about issues and not about supposedly banned books and name calling.

Extremists on both sides of the aisle are responsible for the misinformation on the web about all candidates. Obama is a Muslim, wrong, Palin tried to ban books, wrong. Those who take anything from the world of blogs without verifying the facts go on to repeat the untruths as fact. As seen in the response to this article.

Jonathan does an admirable job with this blog. His position as a journalist in Portland is recognized. That cannot be said for the majority of blogs out there, and with the current level of access to the internet anyone can start to post as an \"expert\" on any subject without any oversight.

• woogie September 18, 2008 at 9:28 am

Peejay #31,

I seem to remember a plenty of Democrats voting for this war. I seem to remember that the Democrats have been in the majority in congress for the last 2 years. Where are the changes to the system they promised.

There\'s plenty of blame to go around for both parties.

Remember the President doesn\'t make law he either signs it into law or vetoes it. And even then a strong congress can override the veto.

Way too much partisan BS here. It\'s not black and white, Democrat good, Republican bad.

• a.O September 18, 2008 at 9:39 am

Sorry Ralph, I didn\'t realize that\'s what you were trying to do. Other than the banned books thing, have you seen any false info posted here about McPain?

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) September 18, 2008 at 10:11 am

\"The original piece with photos was meant to inflame a group of readers based on their prejudices.\"

ralph,

thanks for the feedback. But, you should not assume my intentions. I sometimes like to share stories, photos, etc.. that I think would be interesting/fun for folks to read. This post was most certainly not done to \"inflame\". If you are familiar with this site you know that simply \"inflaming\" people is not my style.

\"Without using the article as a place to start a discussion on the issues regarding alternative transportation and the candidates view on said issues you added nothing but fuel...\"

Again, like I\'ve stated countless times before... just because I write about bikes and I document the bike movement does not mean that all my content must be about \"starting a discussion on the issues\". Sometimes I just want to mix it up and have some fun.

thanks.

• wsbob September 18, 2008 at 11:15 am

Ralph, thanks for attempting to bring the conversation around to a serious discussion of the candidates views on alternative transportation, but seriously, the two photos above don\'t appear to be intended for anything much than cheap laughs. The same with the reference to \'wimpiness\'.

Following the links provided in Maus\'s article above to the article I presume you\'re referring to on The Point News, there\'s very little of substance there that says much about Palin\'s views on alternative transportation. With the help of Sen Ted Stevens office, she was successful in getting a bunch of money earmarked for transportation projects for the City of Wasilla. I don\'t know though, that this effort tells much about her view on alternative transportation. My thought at present, is that she\'d be inclined to support measures that burn up oil produced in Alaska from the ANWR.

Obama, on the other hand, has a transportation platform that includes the following: \"Obama supported a measure by Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA) to mandate states and Metropolitan Planning Organizations create policies that incentivize greater bicycle and pedestrian usage of sidewalks and roads.\"

As far as \"... continued presentation of bogus information presented by the \"left wing blog-o-shere\" in this comments section.\" (ralph #42), is concerned, I\'ll agree that the booklist was a fantastic stretch of the imagination, but, if you\'ll read a little bit about Palin\'s inclination towards banning books...I read an article accessed by the link Ben McCleod in #39 provided...there\'s also a little something about it on the wikipedia article, you might get some insight on the subject.

My take on it is that, yes, if she could, she might like to ban some books such as \'Daddy\'s Roommate\' by Michael Willhoite.

I don\'t want anyone like that next in line to the president of the U.S.

• ralph September 18, 2008 at 11:26 am

First to Jonathan,

Something I learned long ago it\'s not the intent it\'s the impression. You may have intended one thing but you got another. You may not have wanted this blog to resemble \'To the Point News\' but it certainly became the polar opposite with the same level of commentary from your reading public.

a.O,

It\'s the false information and the tone. To automatically trash someone for posing with a motorcycle, and to make assumptions that they are completely represented by the photo is absurd.

The same people who make statements like \"I guess that means Sarab Palin really isn\'t concerned about a fuel crisis!\" based on a photo, are the same people who will raise holy h3ll when someone comments on their position on issues based solely on the fact that they ride a bike.

The expectation of cyclists being listened to with respect and an open mind gets lost when you resort to name calling \"Little Muffy McPalin\". At that point you lose the argument because you\'ve focused on making it about the person and not the issue.

The comments on the original blog and this blog both reach to the extremes. At at time like this decisions need to be made on the issues not on photo ops.

• Katie September 18, 2008 at 11:55 am

But back to the bike picture, I doubt they cut it off to protect his daughter. I think it was cut off so they could make fun of him rather than notice he was taking part in some family time. If you click on the link to the full picture, posted above, you\'ll also notice a link to the Fox news report on it. Fox news was kind enough to report on this pic of Obama biking. Yay! Oh wait, except they are reporting it as the \"photo Obama doesn\'t want you to see\" and as the fox news correspondent writes, he\'s obviously on the way to store to get his \"pocket protector\", what a nerd. And also, \"maybe he\'s riding to the gas station to get gas for his car.\" Yes, if they had shown his daughter they wouldn\'t have been able to make those barbs on national t.v.

• peejay September 18, 2008 at 12:02 pm

ralph:

Please tally a list of lies propagated by each side, with sources. I\'d really like to know who\'s doing more lying, but I think I already know the answer. As for the book banning, there is a significant nugget of truth to that story, that does not make Palin look good at all.

a.O:

This thread is not dead at all: it\'s just getting started. We now have a bona fide right-wing troll on board. How much more fun can it get?

• a.O September 18, 2008 at 12:54 pm

Ralph, I think most people here have already made up their mind on the issues and are commenting on how stupid it is to attempt to substitute a tough-girl image for substance. At least that\'s my take on the comments. And that was the substance of the link I posted in #40. It seems like you are bringing some assumptions here that aren\'t warranted, but I can\'t speak for others\' intentions in posting.

Except peejay, that is. He despises the absurdity of McPain as much as I do. And he\'s having some fun with it. #5 his hilarious.

• peejay September 18, 2008 at 1:16 pm

woogie:

You are right in that the Democrats have not stood up to the Republicans enough to actually reverse course, but don\'t forget that it\'s the Republicans who got us into this mess, and they are certainly better at manipulating the media into framing the debate on their terms.

For instance, when Republicans controlled both houses of congress, the talk was about the \"nuclear option\" in dealing with \"obstructionist Democrats\" using filibuster power to stop them. Since the \'06 elections, all bills before the Senate are talked about in terms of whether they have the \"60 votes needed for passage.\" While the Dems could stand up and call bullshit more, it\'s our media changing the rules, as pushed by the Reps and their corporate overlords.

In no way do I think Democrats are perfect, but any attempt to spread the blame evenly is not going to work in my book.

• ralph September 18, 2008 at 1:54 pm

peejay,

I\'m a right wing troll?

I\'ll have to go and change my voter registration at the DMV pronto.

Maybe I prefer to judge based on the truth and facts and ignore this type of gorilla marketing. I didn\'t like how those on the right used a photo of Obama on a bike to belittle him, nor do I like those on the left using a photo of Palin on a motorcycle to belittle her.

My issue is that Obama supporters posting here had issues with how he was portrayed on the \"To the Point News\" blog based on his choice to ride a bicycle, yet the same people turned to doing the same thing to Palin. You can\'t complain about how Obama was treated, claiming the high road, then stoop as low as the other side to attack their candidate.

I judged both cases reprehensible. I pointed out that extremists on both sides are doing this to inflame peoples prejudices. I pointed out the context in which a picture was taken. I am pointing out hypocrisy of crying foul then committing the same offense.

• Russ September 18, 2008 at 2:37 pm

2GOAT:

The book list you posted is a fraud. At least one of the books you posted wasn\'t even published in \'96.

---------------------

After looking around, it looks like someone copied the books from this site:

and claimed it\'s Palin\'s \"list\".

The only information that is confirmed to be true at this point is Palin inquired about banning books according to the librarian, and then attempted to fire the librarian several months after the inquiry. The facts are scary enough, no need to make up a list.

Speaking of, a story on the BBC today was interesting and is somewhat connected to the responses to this post.

• 2GOAT September 18, 2008 at 3:27 pm

My mistake for posting a list before checking up on it. It came from an E-mail I received from what I believed was a reliable source. Goes to show you can\'t believe everything you read. Thanks to all for keeping us honest.

• wsbob September 18, 2008 at 3:51 pm

I guess I was wrong...Ralph doesn\'t seem to deserve thanks for encouraging a serious discussion after all. It seems like what he\'s really trying to do is get people to fail to see the idiotic humor in comments 11 and 17...apparently a couple of his favorites, since he mentions the \'Little Muffy McPalin\' nickname used by what\'s his name in those comments.

Can\'t people have any fun anymore? Sarah Palin herself probably yukked it up seeing those two pics in the To The Point News story. The idiotic humor associated with it is about the only thing good about McCsin\'s having picked her for VP. It\'s astonishing to me that Jesse Helms at last, not so graciously skedaddles to redneck heaven, and then goodbuddy fighter pilot POW John McCain drops this bomb on us. Thanks John! It\'s as though, when Helms died, part of his spirit came back looking like cute as a bug\'s ear Sarah Palin.

Right about now, I\'d like to hear some facts, any facts at all that says possible future VP, or god forbid, President of the U.S. has made any statements supporting transportation alternatives to the single occupancy vehicle. I\'ve done a little bit of searching, but found nothing.

• Afro Biker September 19, 2008 at 6:08 am

An obvious PR photo from the Obama camp. I don\'t think this guy is really much of a biker. But if a single photo is all it takes to influence your voting decision, the government isn\'t the only thing broken in this country. That\'s as bad as assuming because I am black, I *must* for Obama.

But don\'t worry, Lord Obama will part the waters for us and save us all.

I\'m just worried about not getting squashed by people on cell phones on my way to and from work.

Peace

• Ralph September 19, 2008 at 7:15 am

wsbob,

Feel free to have fun with \"idiotic humor\", but don\'t get your panties in a bunch when the other side uses humor to belittle your candidate.

People didn\'t like the humorous comments on \"To the Point News\" because they were based on nothing more than a photo taken out of context and went against their viewpoint, yet they then use the same type of belittling comments against Palin.

Complaining about people being unfair in their treatment of your candidate then using the same tactics against their candidate because they did it first takes away your moral high ground.

Playing in the mud with the other team gets you just as dirty and no one cares who jumped in first.

• grasshopper September 19, 2008 at 9:02 am

ewww, \"critical Ma**holes\", wow, what a genius amongst the \"real men\" on that board!! or the poster who talks about the \"little hat\": we in the real world call that a \"helmet\"!

when I came to the states these were the same people who scared the crap out of me: so full of hate and racism. Just think -- some of them could be carrying concealed weapons.

it ain\'t easy comin\' to or learnin to live in this country, can I just say it now...my family who are still in asia have *no* desire to come here, but may actually be pushed into running for their lives due to climate change, and will have very little choice other than to come to the global north and have to learn to live here with these crazy people....

Oh, that\'s right. Not a lot of people who ride harleys here believe in climate change either. well ain\'t that great...only in amerika!

• wsbob September 19, 2008 at 10:01 am

Ralph, idiotic humor isn\'t something I\'m personally much interested in. I\'m interested in something a little more serious, which is why I thought you, presuming to take the higher road, would offer something substantive to the subject raised by each of the two candidates posed next to their transportation mode of choice.

But no. You chose to get raise your back over other people\'s preference for a style of humor that, in the examples provided on this thread, were relatively harmless. For example, they were nothing like the \'hillary nutcracker\' line going around. There was another one equally malicious that I can\'t remember right at the moment...well forgotten.

Obama has been the butt of plenty of joke already. So what? I don\'t think most people that are trying to make a serious choice about who they\'re going to vote for Pres of the U.S. factor those jokes into their decision.

I heard Saturday Night Live had a hilarious take on Sarah Palin last weekend...didn\'t see it, but hope to. Do you really think humor like that can really diminish the image, reputation, or prospects of winning on the part of a major political candidate? I don\'t think so.

If anything, that kind of material clues some of the people that don\'t already know, in, about what 75 percent of public already knows about a celebrity or other major figure. Sarah Palin, aside from her decidedly appealing countenance, is in reality, such a hysterically bizarre choice for VP that any humorous bit inspired by the prospect of her becoming Pres or VP kind of pales in comparison.

So ralph, if you\'ve got something serious you can offer everyone here about Ms Palin\'s inclination toward support of alternative transportation measures or alternative energy production measures that would give us an alternative to those terribly bad jokes, and tell us something we don\'t already know about Palin that would give us hope that she doesn\'t represent the end of freedom in America as we now know it, please commence with providing it.

• Brad September 19, 2008 at 11:17 am

You\'re all a bunch of wusses! A real tough hombre racks his bike on top of a 9 mpg Hummer H1 and drives 80 miles to find some mountainous terrain to ride on! Then he downs a fifth of Jack Daniels to re-hydrate and uses the bike lanes to pass slow traffic on the way home.

That\'s fair and balanced!!! Take note your overly sensitive tree huggers and uptight bible thumpers.

• jordan September 19, 2008 at 11:53 am

What\'s funny about Obama riding a bicycle is that he probably has a caravan of 5 sedans completely blocking him from traffic so there is absolutely no way any harm can come to him. So yay! he\'s riding a bike. But it doesn\'t make a difference as far as emissions go.
    However, it is a statement and an image for the people of America to rally behind...GO RON PAUL!

• Opus the Poet September 19, 2008 at 11:56 pm

peejee I would try to document every lie from both parties, but then I would need a blog that would make TPM Muckraker look like BikePortland, or even my own little bike safety blog on MySpace. I leave you with this: Do you know how to tell when a politician is lying? You can see his lips move. I wish I could create a blog like BikePortland, but just creating my daily posts almost consumes my entire day.

• jami September 20, 2008 at 1:14 pm

so they are saying that sarah palin is a \"real man\"? a sexy, sexy \"real man\"? republicans are weird.

i prefer people who haul their kids in bike trailers any dang day. y\'know, family values and toughness all rolled into one package that isn\'t so insecure that they have to go on and on about being tough and caring about their families?

i have my doubts that sarah palin was actually riding that motorcycle. in shorts? with no helmet? but i have noticed a correlation between the price of one\'s education and one\'s tendency to wear a helmet. i gotta protect my brain -- i\'m still making payments on it.

and i haven\'t gotten my money\'s worth yet...

• e September 20, 2008 at 4:04 pm

I think Obama is a Rivendell guy but doesn\'t know it yet...and he needs a 62\" Homer Hilson with air in the tires.
    That Trek is too small and nondescript for him....and besides, I think a Riv is a good match for a Harley...unless you wanna go Italian...but the more I think about it, rivendell is the way to go.

Or maybe a Vanilla....MUSA

• tony pereira September 20, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Rivendells and Vanillas are so 2005...I think he\'d look better on something like this: