Holiday weekend open thread: Share your bike fun

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on August 29th, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Danica Maus, biker.

What are your plans for the long weekend?

Will you get out on the open road for a little bike-camping? Or perhaps take part in the "slow and easy" Old Apple Tree Park Ride or Milkshake Ride on Saturday?

Or maybe you're more of the serious type and you plan on suiting up for the second annual Portland Triathlon.

I'm headed to Goldendale, Washington with my family to cheer on Team Zoobomb as they compete for the title of fastest gravity bikers in the World on Sunday.

Speaking of family, my daughter Danica turned three a few weeks ago and we got her a new bike. She's loving it!

Enjoy the long weekend, and don't forget to share your adventures in the comments below.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Icarus Falling August 29, 2008 at 11:18 pm

We are heading out 15 messengers strong to Mt. BIke the Mackenzie river trail, the 28(?) and probably more mile version from the lakes up top to the Hot Springs on Sunday. Plus another shorter ride Saturday afternoon..
    Then east for more Mt. biking until Tuesday or Wed.

• Eileen August 30, 2008 at 12:24 am

I have nothing planned because I\'m a teacher and that\'s the irony of labor day weekend for us. Writing lesson plans and putting up bulletin boards.

I really just wanted to say that your daughter is ADORABLE. I hope you have a plan for how you will scare off the boys when she\'s a teenager.

And I also wanted to make sure I told Icarus to wear a helmet on his trip because I know how he appreciates being reminded of that. Ha ha.

• John Russell August 30, 2008 at 1:10 am

On Friday I took a nice ride up to the Yale Reservoir and back down along the Lewis River. I had planned out a nice along an old logging road (IP Road), but I guess my maps must have been a little old, because the road across the Saddle dam has been closed for seven years. There is still a back way, however. Oh well, maybe next time.

• mac August 30, 2008 at 7:53 am

I have the great fun of commuting to (and from) work both weekend days. It\'s great to do with so many less cars about...

• Lynne August 30, 2008 at 4:12 pm

A fun, relaxing Portland Velo ride (63 miles, including riding to/from), with Second Breakfast at Longbottom\'s afterwards. Family over for dinner on Labor Day. Maybe another ride, but I don\'t have one planned.

• ambrown August 30, 2008 at 7:17 pm

Great, I can hear the crazy anti-bike people now.

Jonathan Maus\' younger daughter WOULD ride a fixed gear. ;)

• rebecca August 30, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Went out on a taco truck safari, though came away ultimately unsatisfied. Short trip, but really fun in the quietude of the holiday weekend. From Laurelhurst, rode the nearly empty Ankeny, then rode south on SE 16th. I\'m a conscientious bike rider, but going up and down those hills and coming to nearly deserted semi-major streets like Stark, Belmont and Morrison, the feeling of not having to sacrifice velocity to continual stopping was sublime. Rode through Ladd\'s Edition, then Clinton to SE 40th. Couldn\'t find purported taco truck around SE 30th and Division, and the ones at SE12th and Hawthorne were closed. Out of ideas, I rode back towards the delicious jerk pork salad of Bonfire on Stark, again enjoying the sparseness of my fellow travelers, up in the saddle aggressively on every hill-let between me and Bonfire, and a nice cold pint of Terminal Gravity. I\'d been out and about for most of the day on my bike, but that quick sunset 20+ minute ride was the most satisfying bit of the day.

• brettoo August 31, 2008 at 1:48 am

I joined the Audubon Society\'s Willamette Riverfest Sunset Bicycle along the Willamette River Greenway Saturday afternoon, led by the legendary Mike Houck. In about 18 miles, we hit the South Waterfront, Willamette Park , Butterfly Park, Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge, Springwater out to Tideman Johnson Park. We saw some beautiful views (some I\'d never known about), spotted red tailed hawk, osprey, gulls, etc, and most important learned the history of how generous and dedicated advocates (like Mike) helped preserve and maintain these beautiful spaces that are so easy to bike (and walk) to from the urban parts of the city. We also passed through some stretches that need improvement in access, safety and public awareness. I hope rides like this can encourage us not to take these wonderful places for granted and to build support for filling in the gaps on the waterfront loop. But it\'s also inspiring to learn just how far we\'ve come in the past couple decades. With cool weather, beautiful views and an informed guide, it was a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Thanks, Mike!

• Vance August 31, 2008 at 9:07 am

Thousands of miles of vacant two-lane to spin wheels on here. What\'r ya\'ll riding on? Greetings from the Grande Ronde Valley. Hope everyone has a good and safe weekend, Cheers!

• Patrickz August 31, 2008 at 11:20 am

Not much biking today except for errands, and packing for a week\'s worth of biking, hiking and general exploring while staying at the Malheur Field Station. So much to see. The road beckons. Happy pedaling, everyone.

• dls333 August 31, 2008 at 4:16 pm

rebecca,

The taco truck I think you were looking for is Los Gorditos on 50th (not 30th) and Division. Worth another safari, imho.

Danny

• Cecil August 31, 2008 at 7:02 pm

Started the weekend off by riding my bike home to Portland from my job in Salem (gearing up for the BTA Bike Commute Challenge) - on Saturday I mounted the big basket on the back of the bike and rode over to the farmers\' market to pick up some cucumbers, dill weed, peaches, berries and chard. Spent Sunday pickling cukes and watermelon rind, canning tomatoes, and baking a raspberry pie for a friend\'s potluck. Tomorrow (Monday), I am riding a 200K route from St. John\'s to Vernonia and back by way of Skyline, Forest Grove and Scappoose. It will be hard to g back to work on Tuesday . . .

• Cecil August 31, 2008 at 7:41 pm

Perhaps the taco truck Rebecca was looking for was Taqueria Lindo Michoacan, which is at SE 33rd(ish) and Division - I understand they have good goat meat and cow tongue tacos, if you like that sort of thing . . . my husband swears by them.

• jake August 31, 2008 at 8:12 pm

Cecil, do you use the same brine for the watermelon rind as the cukes? I\'ve been thinking about that for years, ever since reading \'farmer boy\' as a child.

• Cecil August 31, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Jake, both the watermelon and the cukes take the same type of \"prep\" brine (1/2 cup pickling salt per 2 quarts of water to cover overnight), but the \"pickling\" brine is very different. I pack the watermelon rind in a syrup made with water, vinegar and sugar, spiced with clove, cardamom, allspice, ginger and lemon. The pickles, on the other hand, get a straight water/vinegar brine with whatever herbs and spices I feel like throwing in (this batch I used Szechuan peppercorns, dried cayenne, garlic and dill heads).

Check out \"The Joy of Pickling\" for some tips . . .

• jake August 31, 2008 at 9:25 pm

thanks much, this will be fun !

• Ena August 31, 2008 at 9:29 pm

I love and miss Dani and Eleni very much!
    Jonathan, please say hi to them for me, as well as Juli.

• Mark Allyn September 1, 2008 at 9:14 am

I did not do much biking, but I\'ve bee doing a log of building!

Remember the lighed bike you all love? Well, it\'s being re-constructed to have more colors and fun!

The work started in earnst this weekend with a new custom made 100 percent stainless steel front pannier rack that I completed on Saturday; here is the picture - http://www.allyn.com/panier1.jpg - In case you are wondering, the cross pieces on top of the panier rack are for a new stainless steel water bottle holder that I am making.

The other project that I have just finished at 1 AM last night was a \'bridge\' to hold the collection of headlights over my handlebars. The picture is at - http://www.allyn.com/lightrack1.jpg - The top two lights are a 30 watt and a 10 watt xenon HID lights and the three little ones on the bottom are 1 watt Luxeon high power LED\'s.

Sorry, nothing\'s wired yet. I will be posting updates as I continue the project. I hope to complete everything by the end of September, in time for fall Equelnox, when the days really start to get short.

Luv

Mark

• Kevin September 1, 2008 at 9:46 am

I had the opportunity to ride at Mt. Galbraith in Bellingham, WA on Sat. It was pretty mindblowing to get to ride on A LOT of quality singletrack within the city limits of a smaller town. It makes me hopeful that something similar is possible in portland!

• G.A.R. September 1, 2008 at 3:07 pm

I rode with a couple of friends from Gearhart through Seaside, visiting the Salt Works and observing the surfers, and up the hill to road\'s end and the head of the trail to Ecola State Park. I hadn\'t known that all the land from there to Cannon Beach is now protected, partly by Ecola and partly by a big Nature Conservancy gift. Very nice piece of woods. We hiked half an hour before riding back to Gearhart. About fifteen miles on the fixie in Portland rounded out the weekend. (Thanks to Clever Cycles for being open on Labor Day.)

• PdxMark September 1, 2008 at 3:16 pm

We did the Bike Oregon Wine Country on Sunday, starting and ending at Eola Hills Winery in Rickreal. It was a great route with good support, tastings at alot of wineries, and a great meal afterward.

These rides occurred on each Sunday in August and alternated between a northern loop route and a southern route. It was our second year of doing the ride, and I expect that we\'ll do it again next year..

• Aaron September 1, 2008 at 9:55 pm

We had an amazing camping trip at Mt St Helens. This is the last trip on a car-free FR-83. It was my first time riding [almost] all the way to St Helens which was challenging.
    There\'s so much to share, big hills getting there, amazing mountain-biking, watching the sunrise brush the volcano a golden auburn hue, seeing a ten year old pulling the bicycle trailer with his family, picking wild berries....
    more with pictures soon

• Kronda September 1, 2008 at 10:04 pm

I went and picked up my new Big Dummy on Friday and have been hauling stuff around all weekend. It changes your life dude! :)

• Chuck September 2, 2008 at 10:17 am

I won 3rd place in the IGSA Gravity Bike World Championships. :)