Tonight: Portland parties for Platinum!

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on August 7th, 2008 at 11:49 am

Platinum Press Conference-13.jpg
Mr. Adams and his Platinum PDOT pals.
(Photo © J. Maus)

Just a quick note that tonight at City Hall there will be a big party and shindig to officially toast Portland's achievement in becoming the first major U.S. city to receive a Platinum-level bicycle friendly community award from the League of American Bicyclists.

There will be free drinks, lots of art and photos to look at (including the latest illustrations of "Portlanders and their Bikes" by Nate Padavick), and much of Portland's bike scenesters will likely be in attendance.

I've been wanting to plan another BikePortland Social Hour, so why not just pile onto this celebration?

The fun starts at 5:00, so if you're in the neighborhood, stop by and say hi. Hope to see you there (and remember to introduce yourself with your user name too!).

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • T WIlliams August 7, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Did someone say free drinks?

• Steven M. August 7, 2008 at 12:58 pm

With Portland increasingly becoming more bike friendly. Definitely faster than any other city, I wonder if it will not only get more Portlanders biking, but more immigration of cyclists to Portland as well.

I know once I graduate I don\'t want to live in Phoenix, and Portland isn\'t terribly far away so it is definitely one of my top choices.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) August 7, 2008 at 1:01 pm

\"With Portland increasingly becoming more bike friendly... I wonder if it will not only get more Portlanders biking, but more immigration of cyclists to Portland as well.\"

no need to wonder Steven... this is already happening.

i wish there was some way to track it but I have personally heard from many people that they moved here primarily because of the bike-friendly reputation.

• Arem August 7, 2008 at 1:38 pm

This shindig is just down the street from where I work. Perhaps I\'ll see some of you there! Afterward I\'m thinking of going to Cha (NW 21st and Everett) to see what KNRK\'s Area 54 will be spinning (tunes, not wheels).

• btodd August 7, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Bike friendly?

There is NO mountain biking in the area.

Forests as far as the eye can see, and no trails.

• SkidMark August 7, 2008 at 2:39 pm

There is some legal singletrack in Portland. It would be really cool if someone in the know would post this information, or if Bikeportland did an article about it.

• grant August 7, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Here\'s a web page listing some trails in Oregon.

• Jerrod August 7, 2008 at 3:31 pm

I was going to write \"Did someone say free drinks?\" but the very first posting said, \"Did someone say free drink,\" so I can\'t say it now. Oh well.

• jimbo August 8, 2008 at 1:28 am

I believe that homes for sale in areas next to bike corridors are getting extra attention, especially if they are close in.

• Myra August 9, 2008 at 9:52 am

Nothing political about the bike movement... hahahahaha Love it.