Sign up now for summer camps at The Lumberyard!

Slideshow: Best of the Twilight Criterium

Posted by on August 7th, 2008 at 3:37 pm

The annual Twilight Criterium happens tomorrow night at the North Park Blocks in downtown Portland.

I’ve photographed this event for the past three years (watch slideshow below) so I thought I’d go back into my archives and pull a few of the better shots out as a way to (hopefully) inspire you to come check it out.

I love the Twilight Crit for many reasons; it transforms several blocks of downtown Portland into carfree bike party, it reminds me of my glory days when I thought I’d be a pro crit racer, it puts exciting bike racing action in front of a whole new crowd, and it’s just an all-around good time.

Here’s a little slideshow with selected photographs from years past:

Created with Admarket’s flickrSLiDR.

Hope to see another huge crowd tomorrow night. Among the hot shot pros on hand will be Rory Sutherland, the current National Racing Calendar leader and the fastest pro in the states right now. Here are details:

Health Net Portland Twilight Criterium
    Official website
    Friday August, 8th
    North Park Blocks (just north of Burnside at the Elephant statue)
    Racing starts at 6:30

NOTE: At BikePortland, we love your comments. We love them so much that we devote many hours every week to read them and make sure they are productive, inclusive, and supportive (heck, sometimes we even fix your typos!). That doesn't mean you can't disagree with someone. It means you must do it with class and respect. This is our business and we do not tolerate mean commenters who add nothing of value to the discussion.

Unfortunately, we are not robots and we don't always catch everything. You can help by notifying us if you see inappropriate comments. Thanks! — Jonathan and Michael

Comments
  • Ethan August 7, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Beautiful pics Jonathan!

• bahueh August 7, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Future telling prediction: one of the Healthnet guys wins…again…

• optimist August 7, 2008 at 5:37 pm

bahueh

Not if we can help it! Come watch and cheer for the boys in yellow.

• Deborah August 7, 2008 at 10:07 pm

great pics – think I\’ll head down there & get and eye full of all those nice gluts and quads.

stopping for that red light – creates great quades.

• bahueh August 8, 2008 at 10:01 am

optimist…I wish you luck..give em hell man and watch that last corner before the line, its damn tight…

lots of guys went down on the course last year..we were dodging falling bodies on almost every lap..

• bearhat August 8, 2008 at 3:32 pm

ooh god i\’m stoked. the sheer wind from the peloton is worth feeling. see you there!