Familes rule at Cycle Oregon Weekend Ride

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on August 4th, 2008 at 2:59 pm

Cycle Oregon Weekend Ride-68.jpg
A common sight this weekend.
Photo gallery
(Photos © J. Maus)

Over the weekend, my two daughters and my mom (she's visiting from California) joined me on Cycle Oregon's Weekend Ride.

The sold-out event was based at the beautiful and bike-friendly Fort Stevens State Park situated on the northern tip of Oregon's Coast. The park is family biking nirvana (remember my report last time I went?) and is home to seven miles of dedicated bike paths that twist and turn through fern-dotted rain forests and along pine-filled dunes.

I've done the more well-known, week-long Cycle Oregon ride several times now, but the Weekend Ride is much different.

The biggest difference? Families and kids. Lots of them.

It seemed everywhere I looked I would see kid trailers, tag-along bikes, tandems, and all manner of little bikes. It was very encouraging and heart-warming to see so many families taking in the rides and activities.

Cycle Oregon Weekend Ride-78.jpg
The new face of Cycle Oregon.
Cycle Oregon Weekend Ride-67.jpg
Now that's a biking family!

This is an event that will definitely become a Maus Family tradition.

Thanks to Cycle Oregon for a great weekend, and to the BTA for putting on a really stellar kids camp (I never did check it out but I heard it was awesome!).

I wasn't really "working", but I did manage to snap a few photos. Check them out in my photo gallery.

Also, The Oregonian sent two reporters out to cover the event. Check out their fun videos and stories here.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Ian August 4, 2008 at 3:31 pm

dur?

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) August 4, 2008 at 3:36 pm

Ian,

I\'m not sure what \"dur?\" means, but if you\'re wondering, I\'ve deleted your other comment that stated, \"What a great way to stop global warming...\"

In the past I would have let it go, but I am becoming tired of this type of comment here on BikePortland.org.

It\'s not the point you\'re trying to make it\'s that you simply are not being constructive in any way in this or any of the many comments you\'ve left in recent days.

I welcome your disagreements, but if possible, please try and make your comments more constructive in the future.

Thanks.

• Ian August 4, 2008 at 3:40 pm

Very well then I will take my nonsensical comments to the OregonLive boards... guess this site is helping the Oregonian improve their dominance in Portland. It\'s a sad day for satire.

• Steven M. August 4, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Looks like a nice event.

• jimbo August 4, 2008 at 5:50 pm

\"Everybody should learn to ride a bike\" I think it was Mark Twain

• Kris August 4, 2008 at 8:09 pm

I was at Ft. Stevens this last weekend and was amazed at the size of this event. It has inspired us to get the bikes out and ride.
    The big thrill was the cannons going off...it was a highlight. hope to see this again!

• Metal Cowboy August 4, 2008 at 10:55 pm

So many good family bike events I can\'t get to them all. You\'ve sold me J, we\'re gonna have to make the pilgrimage to Fort S next summer for CO.

• KT August 5, 2008 at 10:40 am

The bike trails there only add up to 7 miles??

Granted, I haven\'t been to Ft Stevens since... well.... it\'s been a long time... but it always seemed like the bike trails were way longer than that.

Did you start at the campground and go all the way to the Wreck and the Fort?

I always loved camping there with the family. We\'d take our bikes and ride all over the place all day long, then play in the fort. Some of those rooms are DARK.

Sounds like a great weekend was had!

• jj August 5, 2008 at 3:37 pm

I\'m so sad we didn\'t get to go this year due to a scheduling conflict. Next year for sure! Thanks for the write-up. We\'ll definitely make it happen in the future!

• Brad Hawkins August 5, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Someone mentioned other family biking events. What are the other ones here in the northwest? I would love to take my family to any and all.

This one looks great!

• Mike August 5, 2008 at 4:45 pm

KT (post#8) and others for clarification:
    1. The excellent BTA kids\' camp remained car-free within Ft Stevens. For the 1500 or so stronger / older riders there were signed route options outside the park of 15/26/39 & 67 miles on Saturday and 12/40 & 64 miles on Sunday, including crossing the Astoria-Megler bridge into WA on the way to Cape Disappointment.
    2. Each of the four CO weekend events to date has been at a different location. This weekend seemd highly successful, but be aware next year\'s venue will not necessarily be at Ft Stevens.
    3. and of course the weekend included the usual CO showers, food, medics, mechanics, massage, acupunture, etc, etc, etc.

• Stochelo August 6, 2008 at 8:20 am

All rides that involve large groups of cyclists, whether they\'re on a Cycle Oregon production, STP, a USCF road race, or the most casual beginners ride, serve an important social purpose--the acclimate drivers to sharing road space with cyclists. American drivers need large numbers of cyclists forced on them to get them used to us. Here\'s to wishing that Seattle to Portland had 25,000 riders!

• KT August 6, 2008 at 9:29 am

Thanks, Mike; that sounds like a lot of fun!

I was just wondering about the paths within the park; like I said, it\'s been a long time since I\'ve been to Ft Stevens, so I don\'t know which campground we stayed at... and of course, I\'m not sure if all the bike paths were part of the park or not! :)

I do know that there were a lot of paths, some led to the Fort itself, some led to the beach... and to a kid, it seemed like a lot longer than 7 miles!

Still sounds like a blast...