Advertise on BikePortland

$4 gas nets a new bike for one Portland commuter

Posted by on May 29th, 2008 at 2:31 pm

Michael Khadabux and his new bike.
(Photo courtesy Michael Khadabux)

May 23rd was a bad day for Portlanders who buy a lot of gas, but for Michael Khadabux, it was he’ll always remember with a smile.

That’s because he was the lucky winner in a contest to guess which day gas would hit $4.00 a gallon at a Shell station across from River City Bicycles on SE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Khadabux’s petrol prognostication skills earned him a brand new Specialized Globe city bike. He told me today that he plans to use it “for short trips to the store or library etc. I’ve got a pretty long commute [Clackamas to Lloyd Center] so I’ll do that on my faster road bike.”

River City sponsored the contest and co-owner Dave Guettler said they received over 400 entries. Khadabux was one of 22 people to guess May 23rd (the Friday before Memorial Day) and he won the contest after his name was pulled out of a hat.

Congratulations Michael!

NOTE: At BikePortland, we love your comments. We love them so much that we devote many hours every week to read them and make sure they are productive, inclusive, and supportive (heck, sometimes we even fix your typos!). That doesn't mean you can't disagree with someone. It means you must do it with tact and respect. This is our business and we do not tolerate mean commenters who add nothing of value to the discussion.

Unfortunately, we are not robots and we don't always catch everything. You can help by notifying us if you see inappropriate comments. Thanks! — Jonathan and Michael

Comments
  • Todd Boulanger May 29, 2008 at 2:45 pm

Thanks Rivercity and Specialized for providing a nice accessorized city bike vs. something a little less useful.

• Jordan May 29, 2008 at 2:48 pm

I was one of the 22 who guessed the 23rd. Michael enjoy your new bike :)

• a.O May 29, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Lucky!!

• John Russell May 29, 2008 at 3:28 pm

I was off by a long shot. Oh well. It\’s not like I\’m paying those gas prices.

• a.O May 29, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Can we get a pool going on $5?

• Mmann May 29, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Congrats! It happened quicker than I guessed. If it goes down a little (yeah, right) does that mean there will be another winner when it hits 4 bucks again :-)

• the other steph May 29, 2008 at 3:53 pm

go Michael! is this for the next trip to Champoeg, by chance?

• Qwendolyn May 29, 2008 at 6:24 pm

congrats to Michael K.

• Michelle May 29, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Congrats Michael! What a fun contest – thanks Dave and RiverCity for all the wit and creativity.

• KTesh May 29, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Congrats Michael!

It was supposed to be on my Birthday (I was off by less than a week)… nutz.

Enjoy!

• mike_khad1 May 29, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Thanks for your congrats everyone. And thanks to River City for doing this. I was quite thrilled to hear Dave of River City on my answering machine.

• davidio May 29, 2008 at 10:17 pm

I can assure you this bike went to somebody who uses it – Mike rides EVERY day. It\’s always nice to see a big prize go to somebody who deserves it, though I doubt he\’ll give up his regular ride (a lovely Burley road bike, if I remember correctly) for the flat-bar commuter.

• Adam May 29, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Congrats on the new bike. It would\’ve been kind of cool to see someone who wasn\’t already a committed commuter win it though to. None the less this was a cool contest.

• april May 30, 2008 at 6:39 am

That\’s so awesome–what a creative contest idea. :^)

• joeb May 30, 2008 at 10:33 am

I was off by a month. Maybe $5 would warrant another contest?? Hmm Aug 17.

\’Grats Michael.

• Catherine May 30, 2008 at 11:01 am

hahaha! Congrats, Dad. That\’s pretty cool. Enjoy your sweet new ride. lol
    -Cat

• steve May 30, 2008 at 11:20 am

They couldn\’t have given the guy a bigger one? He is going to hit his frickin knees on the bars!

• cecil May 30, 2008 at 11:49 am

Congrats, Michael!

I admit that I was also one of the 22, assuming in my cynical way that the price would hike just in time for what has traditionally been the biggest \”driving weekend\” of the year. I don\’t know if I should be pleased with the power of my analytical skills or dismayed with the accuracy of my cynicism. Either way, I am glad that I only have to fill my gas tank about once every 6 weeks (or more). . . .

• KTB May 30, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Congrats Michael–I guessed that day too! Probably because I knew I\’d be driving that day instead of riding my bike. Oh well! Glad I\’m riding today!

• efairlay June 5, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I like that I haven’t even noticed the gas prices, except the occasional complaint from a automobile driver.