Weekend open thread: Share your bike fun

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on May 17th, 2008 at 8:30 am

Mt. Hood Classic at Mt. Tabor -36.jpg
Relaxing in Mt. Tabor Park.
(Photo © J. Maus)

OK Portland, bike season has arrived.

The sun is out, and you've got plenty of options to choose from.

What are your plans for the weekend?

Will you join in the big parade on Alberta Street? Race your mountain bike? Head out to the Gorge?

I plan to take my girls over to Alberta Street later and then on Sunday, we might roll down to Waterfront Park to catch a glimpse of Mr. Obama.

Whatever you do on your bike this weekend, share your adventures below...

(For inspiration and ideas, check out the weekend bike guide.)

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Mark Allyn May 17, 2008 at 9:01 am

Hot weather cycling! I did 22 miles from Hillsboro to NE Portland during the 90+ degree weather on Friday! Of course, that included doing the 900 foot hill in between!

Consumed nearly two gallons of water and juice on the way, but had no problems. No cramps or dehydration.

Great day!

Luv

Mark

• Michael Downes May 17, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Family is out of town visiting the blister-in-law so it\'s just me and my fixie. Tomorrow I will take the Bakfeits to Bonnie\'s move. Maybe check out that Obama cat on the way home.

• dsaxena May 17, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Did a nice 20 mile loop from Woolawn to Sellwood via east esplanade, over the bridge to west side, up to NW to some coffee, and then back home. Looking forward to some more riding tomorrow.

• K-Man May 17, 2008 at 11:13 pm

Wy\'East Road Race. Mt. Hood.

Suffer. Suffer. Suffer.

• Michael Oman-Reagan May 18, 2008 at 9:25 am

YES! Good choice - see Obama. Yes you can.

• Michael Oman-Reagan May 18, 2008 at 9:26 am

After all, he\'s the original happy cyclist:

• drosen May 18, 2008 at 2:48 pm

Reach the Beach! 98 miles of heat. Thankfully, it cooled a little about 15 miles before the coast, but I think I took in about 6-7 bottles of fluids along the way, plus some random cups of water. Great event.

• Matt Picio May 18, 2008 at 4:22 pm

Caroline Smith led an Exchange Cycle Tours ride out to Latourell Falls (in the gorge) this weekend, and while there, the participants hiked 2.5 miles up to Upper Latourell Falls and back.

Oh, and BTW - ODOT missed some tacks. While in Corbett, 2 of our riders had flats caused by tacks. Fortunately, we had enough patch kits and spares to complete the ride without having to call for a pickup.

It was a bit hot, but a great ride! Thanks Carrie, for leading it, and thanks to all who attended!

• Barbara Kilts May 18, 2008 at 8:09 pm

Although I was too late for the Pretty Dress Ride, the Art Hop on Alberta was big fun just to be there. Oh, and I stopped by CCC and got a bell for my new ride; a vintage Linear recumbent.

Today, college daughter and I rode down to the Obama rally and ended up on a sinuous walk up to PSU to get to the end of the line! Met up with some friends and slowly we made our way back to the waterfront. Ended up on Naito just across from the bowl within earshot of his speech. Hey, it was totally worth it to be out with everyone - even the \"Repent Now\" folks! Is\'nt free speech great?

Went out for sushi afterwards, meeting up with some of my daughter\'s friends, then off for a leisurely ride home.

Barbara

• The Future May 18, 2008 at 8:10 pm

did the tour de hood. 42 miles. 4800 feet of total climb. gorge-ous views. pint of full sale beer included in registration. benefits to lance armstrong foundation. good times. good times.

• jj May 18, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Friday, I biked around town - to Jamison Square in the morning with the boys to picnic by the fountain and cool off with ice cream from Cool Moon, then up to Acadia on Fremont for a friend\'s birthday dinner that night.

Saturday, Reach the Beach (the 55 miler). That was my first ride of that length in a long time, since before I got pregnant with my now 2 year old. It felt good to be out there - what a great ride!

Today, the Obama rally (where someone sadly stole my Obama spoke card), followed by another trip to Jamison and Cool Moon, to kill some time before heading back over the Hawthorne Bridge. It was amazing seeing so many bikes locked up everywhere downtown for the rally.

• Cecil May 18, 2008 at 9:21 pm

On Saturday I did the Reach the Beach route from Portland - rode to the start from a friend\'s house in Beaverton for a total of just under 109 miles - spent the night in Pacific City and rode home on a slightly different route - 114+ miles. It was blistering hot on Saturday, slightly less so today. Wore my new Keen cycling sandals without socks and forgot to put sunscreen on my feet. Oops.

• the "other" steph May 18, 2008 at 9:23 pm

saturday made calls for Sam\'s campaign, though i was late trying to find parking; all the poles were already bike-full. dressed for the Art Hop and Parade, then saw Do Jump\'s \"Entusiasmo\". the lobby had three bikes fixed up as pulleys that carried people\'s written dreams on them. so hot!
    sunday was Bonnie\'s move followed by a negotiation through downtown Obamarama (would that i could have been there!) on my way to my parents\' 65th birthday. then bomb from Washington Park to Sellwood. an incomparable weekend.
    Aaron, how many bike moves can you do in one week? wow! thanks to all who made Bonnie\'s move yet another glorious stuff parade that entranced all onlookers, and even made a few stopped motorists on Powell wave.

• Lynne May 18, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Cecil\'s friend here. :-) I kept my socks on, so my feet are fine. The hands sure do hurt, though. We saw an amazing amount of blooming red clover on our return route - North Valley/Spring Hill/Fern Hill/wetlands,Golf Course Rd, Tongue/Johnson School/Simpson/Burkhalter/Minter Bridge/Baseline.

• browse May 19, 2008 at 6:31 am

Biking the loop around Hagg Lake.

• NEIL FRAEDRICH May 19, 2008 at 7:28 am

55 miles
    Oregon city to Sauvey Island Bridge
    and Back-Sat
    Did it again on Sunday,

Love the Weather

• Drew May 19, 2008 at 7:43 am

I rode around Mt. Hood, starting from Sellwood. There were almost no cars at all from Troutdale to Multnomah falls. The historic highway was all mine at 5 to 6am. Wind blew me right in to Hood river. Climbing Cooper Spur, I passed by lots of GU and Clifshot wrappers tossed to the side of the road. Really not a very good impression to leave; I suppose it was some inconsiderate racers who didn\'t want a sticky residue in the back of the jersey pocket. I ran out of water and had to fill up near a melting snowbank. Descended to Brightwood and went up to Marmot, dropped down to dodge park and crossed the Sandy river, and headed home. Took me 17 hours, 170 miles altogether, and had a lot of fun even when I was suffering.

• Spencer May 19, 2008 at 8:09 am

Friday: Long Skyline loop after work. Didn\'t really notice the heat.

Friday Night: Noticed the heat and didn\'t sleep until 3

Saturday: Went into desert tortise mode and hid from heat. got out for a zip around the neighborhood on the Bike Friday.

Sunday: Got up early and road Forest Park. Ridge, Leif, Saltzman, FL 5, Leig, Springvale, FL 7, Springvale, Water line to girlscout camp and home. Lots of dogs off the leash, little rascals.

Monday morning Commute, legs were tired.

Cheers

• G.A.R. May 19, 2008 at 8:56 am

40-mile Sunday tour starting and ending in Mt Tabor area: I-205 path, Marine Drive, a stop at Blue Lake, a loop around the Troutdale airport, coffee on the boardwalk in Troutdale, a stretch along the Sandy River from one bridge to the other, up through Gresham, down Springwater/136th/Harold, and home up through the 50\'s.

• Tim Roth May 19, 2008 at 9:02 am

Hit up PSU farmer\'s market on Saturday for work, which was a nice cool 6:30 AM ride in from NE. Then rode from about 92nd and Holgate out to Hillsdale for the market there Sunday. Again, another cool morning ride down Holgate and up Barbur. The rides home in the middle of the afternoon were kind of another story. Can you say shirtless? Stopped at Cellar Door Coffee Roasters on Sunday afternoon for a double shot of espresso and then continued on to A Better Cycle, where I became the proud owner of a new wheelset and also created what I think might be the only four-speed bicycle in Portland (thanks to an NOS Suntour 2-speed freewheel originally designed for BMX racing). Loving it!

• Anonymous May 19, 2008 at 11:00 am

Hey Lynne F, that was \"Crimson Clover\" that you saw blooming, not \"Red Clover\".
    It\'s two months before Red Clover blooms.
    (if you want more farm facts just email me, you know my address!)

I rode half a reach the beach. I needed to be in Hillsboro at the end of the day so I rode from Scholls Heights Elementary to just beyond Amity and back for 100 miles even. I didn\'t wear sandals, but have sunburned calves to show for the day.

• el timito May 19, 2008 at 11:06 am

The Alberta Art was Hoppin\' as the Trash Mountain Boys once again crashed the party, this time rockin\' the Camp Lounger Bike. Special props to Tom for the ingenious engineering leading to more comfort for the Boys and more noise to the hoi-polloi!

• Brian Johnson May 19, 2008 at 11:31 am

Raced at the Bear Springs Trap. First time.

There\'s some awesome, incredible single-track out there.

Get up early, carpool out there and have fun.

• Lynne F May 20, 2008 at 4:45 pm

\"crimson clover\" sounds so much better than red clover for sure. I\'ll remember that.

which of the many addresses I know would it be? :-) I need more hints.