Cielo Dock Sale runs through the 29th

ZooBama and a bike ride in Bend?

Posted by on May 12th, 2008 at 10:52 am

Over the weekend, Seattle P-I columnist Joel Connelly traveled to Bend (175 miles SE of Portland) to cover Sen. Barack Obama’s campaign visit.

In a column he published this morning, Connelly wrote:

Sen. Barack Obama talked wistfully about taking a bicycle ride in the high Oregon desert, but plunged back into what is both a victory lap in the Democratic race and the warmup for a long general election campaign.

I haven’t been able to confirm if he actually went on a ride, or if he was just fantasizing. Did any readers from Bend see Mr. Obama pedaling around?

When Obama and Zoobomb collide.

And, in other Obama bike news, I noticed this funny “ZooBama” graphic on Flickr this morning. It was uploaded by Felix (a regular Zoobomber and BikePortland commenter) and created by an artist named Jason whose work you can see more of here.

NOTE: At BikePortland, we love your comments. We love them so much that we devote many hours every week to read them and make sure they are productive, inclusive, and supportive (heck, sometimes we even fix your typos!). That doesn't mean you can't disagree with someone. It means you must do it with tact and respect. This is our business and we do not tolerate mean commenters who add nothing of value to the discussion.

Unfortunately, we are not robots and we don't always catch everything. You can help by notifying us if you see inappropriate comments. Thanks! — Jonathan and Michael

Comments
  • Zach May 12, 2008 at 11:32 am

I am imagining Barack and his Secret Service agents zooming down the hill on minibikes, in tight formation.

I like it.

• gabriel amadeus May 12, 2008 at 11:45 am

…in tights, fornicating.

• Anonymous May 12, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Isn\’t he a cigarrete smoker? Doubt he rode too far or fast.

• Morgan May 12, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Team Cream!

• MikeyO May 12, 2008 at 3:18 pm

Obama didn\’t bike.

The only time I\’ve seen any of the candidates on bikes was Clinton promoting a youth health thing, but that was over a year ago, so she wasn\’t campaigning at the time (well Politicians always are I guess).

Dunno if that counts.

• Qwendolyn May 12, 2008 at 4:39 pm

Obama on a minibike.

Believe.

• gabriel amadeus May 12, 2008 at 7:59 pm

HOPE?

• Matt Picio May 12, 2008 at 11:18 pm

If Obama really wants to romance the local vote:

Zoobomb
    Climb at Smith Rock
    Windsurf in Hood River
    Snowboard on Mt. Hood

Hell, even (p)Resident Bush rides a mountain bike (and has crashed spectacularly).

• Pete May 13, 2008 at 11:52 am

Great list Matt! \”Windsurf in Hood River\” – Kerry tried that but got skunked.

I was at Obama\’s visit Friday morning but alas didn\’t get to ask him my question. I\’ll throw it out here (cuz I rehearsed it a bunch. :)

With Portland being a Platinum Bike City and bragging reduced fuel consumption while population increases, the city learned reduced gas taxes cut funding for projects. At the Federal level where you get a tax credit for driving a Hummer, and one of your own backers gets ridiculed for trying to get rid of this and encourage bike commuting, how do you even start to battle the oil, insurance, and auto manufacturer lobbies for alternative transportation funding?

Anyway, I just hope Barack\’s not a wind jinx…

• organic brian May 13, 2008 at 10:39 pm

Dangit, I\’m trying to keep the depressing parade of candidate puppets out of my mind.

There are some great things about Bend and biking (yeah, I\’m in Bend \’til Sunday):
    – little to no \”motorist vs. cyclists\” in most neighborhoods
    – almost never getting passed too closely by motorists
    – motorists frequently give up the right of way in deference to cyclists, which can be annoying but heartwarming
    – much less broken glass & crap in bike lanes
    – Monday, there were about 25 bikes in front of Deschutes Brew Pub… I asked a server what that was all about… \”There\’s no event going on… that\’s just how Bend rocks Mondays…\”
    – monthly bike movie get-togethers at the McMenamins St. Francis Theater

• revphil May 15, 2008 at 12:29 pm

I want you for the mini bike army!