Community comes together for Brett Jarolimek Fund benefit

Posted by on May 2nd, 2008 at 2:51 pm

Brett Jarolimek Benefit Fund event-5.jpg
Daniel McGinnis, BTA Board member
and president of Bike Gallery.
(Photos © J. Maus)

At the Brett Jarolimek Memorial Fund benefit last night, Bike Gallery President Daniel McGinnis implored the hundreds of people who showed up to “roll up your sleeves”, and reminded us that our recent Platinum accolade is, “a platform and nothing else.”

McGinnis issued an invitation, and a challenge to all of us to help build something positive out of tragedy. He stressed that the fund was not only in need of financial contributions, but another important type of contribution — our ideas.

Hoping to “cultivate a grassroots movement” by funding projects from the community, McGinnis pointed to an idea box and urged everyone to write down what they thought should be done with money from the fund.

Brett Jarolimek Benefit Fund event-15.jpg
A bike ridden by Brett, and made by his friend Matt Cardinal was on display.
Brett Jarolimek Benefit Fund event-4.jpg

With last night’s fundraising (via a silent auction and raffle tickets), the Brett Jarolimek Memorial Fund already has nearly $40,000 in pledged donations — with significant amounts coming from Northwest Portland-based manufacturer Chris King Precision Components and Bike Gallery.

Last night’s event was a tangible example of how October’s tragedies transcended any one bike group in Portland and have fostered a coalescence of the bike movement among the entire community.

The future is up to us. What are your ideas to make Portland’s streets safer?

===

More photos from the event.

Comments
  • Boo Boo May 2, 2008 at 3:47 pm

Hats of to Chris King, Bike Gallery and all the people who\’ve donated and showed up!

• BikeBillboards dot blogspot dot com May 2, 2008 at 4:50 pm

My vote would be for high school bike driver ed.

• Brian Johnson May 2, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Education is the key, I think. When I got my license there was NOTHING about vulnerable users. \”Drive slow in neighborhoods so you don\’t hit kids chasing balls\” was about the extent of it.

I agree, too, with some sort of education for cyclists. I see, daily, people on bikes operating them on sidewalks, swerving in and out of parked cars and generally pissing off motorists.

Education.

• Jeff Bernards May 2, 2008 at 5:45 pm

They have $40,000!?! BTA asked me to bring \”Protect your World\” low to no cost helmets to their bike challenge event. I asked them for a small fee to help defray my costs. They said they had no money to give me. I\’ve been a proven grass roots provider of low cost Lights and Helmets, for five years. I also recieved an Alice Award for Get Lit. BTA is always doing some fund raising event. I rarely see them granting money back to help promote bike safety. If they don\’t have any money for helmets, what are they using the $40,000 for?

• local LUNA chix May 2, 2008 at 5:45 pm

I would love to support folks who are wanting to become commuters, especially women. Create and lead some sort of beginning commuting clinic.

• steve May 2, 2008 at 7:59 pm

Especially women? Why not just support folks wishing to be commuters?

• local LUNA chix May 2, 2008 at 8:26 pm

I don\’t have anything against men, but sometimes women can be intimidated by intensity that some folks bring to the plate. And this is just my idea.

• Vance May 3, 2008 at 9:40 am

I say this with tongue, at least partially, in cheek. If you have nothing against men, then why not include them in your efforts? Additionally, do you speak for all women as your comment suggests? Can you prove that all women are intimidated by intensity? For that matter, I don\’t agree with your implication that all men are overly intense. I support your right to freely associate with whomever you see fit, but at least be willing to accept that you are being discriminatory when you exclude roughly 50% of the population from the benefits of your support. Because that\’s what it is. Discrimination.

When do we get to be just bikes? When is the community going to include everyone, Republican and Liberal alike. Male and female, alike. Rich and poor, alike. Motorists and non-motorists alike. Unlike our cager brethren, we\’ve all got at least ONE thing in common. BICYCLES! Man, I\’d sure love to see all the other crud, checked at the door.

No offense meant LUNA, seriously. I just wish it was your intent to help and support everyone on a bike, and not just the female ones.

• Dave Thomson May 3, 2008 at 8:07 pm

Great idea. Women are under-represented in the cycling community. There do seem to be plenty of defensive men though.

• steve May 3, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Eskimos are equally under-represented.

• Paolo May 3, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Jeff please read: the Brett Jarolimek Memorial Fund already has nearly $40,000 in pledged. That is not the BTA.
    But you have a good question and I am sure you can easily look into what the BTA does with their money.
    Just ask them.

• Options Guy May 5, 2008 at 4:34 pm

Luna Chix, et al: Yes to more women cycling! and yes to more people cycling, man, woman, or Eskimo!

No need to scramble for crumbs, the plate is full for everyone in May, Bike Month. Check out all the Bike to Work Month events that Smart Trips Downtown is sponsoring here, http://www.GettingAroundPortland.org
    … in the What\’s New column …
    including beginning commuter workshops, both coed and women-only (& thanks to the BTA for working on this), and lunchtime rides for newbies.
    Or check out either the Women on Bikes program or Portland By Cycle rides and clinics at the same page.

More efforts for bike safety and promoting bicycle transportation are needed, but the key is more folks on bikes!