Widow of fallen cyclist seeks help for bereaved family fund

Posted by on April 9th, 2008 at 10:50 am

Cycle Oregon Day 4-Sumpter to Union
Mike Wilberding’s son Dayn,
holding a jersey he wore during
a memorial ride for his dad
during Cycle Oregon in 2006.
(Photo © J. Maus)

A post to the Portland Bike Forums caught my eye the other day. It was a message from Mrs. BJ Wilberding, wife of the late Mike Wilberding.

Mike was killed on August 1, 2006 when someone turned their car into his path as he rode home from work in Beaverton.

Now, Mrs. Wilberding wants to set up a foundation to give immediate financial aid to families of fallen cyclists.

Here’s the message she posted to the forums.

In August 2006, my husband, Mike Wilberding was killed in a cycling accident. In his memory, I am planning to set up a foundation. The mission of this foundation will be to give immediate financial aid to families of the fallen cyclist. Insurance Companies are often slow in benefit payoff. Many families maybe under financial stress while their loved one in the hospital dying. I am appealing to all cyclist to support this effort to help such families. Fatal incidences are on the increase we need to support each other by contributing to these families. The foundation is still in the planning. I need to recognize an attorney who is familiar with and/or specializes in Foundations and is preferably a cyclist. If you know of such a person, please have them contact me.

Mrs. BJ Wilberding

If you or someone you knew can help Mrs. Wilberding, contact her at bjwilbo [at] comcast [dot] net.

________

More coverage of the Mike Wilberding tragedy.

Comments
  • Christian April 9, 2008 at 2:48 pm

So tragic… I hope she creates a wonderful foundation.

• James April 9, 2008 at 5:21 pm

I will look forward to a follow-up post once this foundation is in order so I can contribute — what a way for the community to show how much it cares.

• Crash N. Burns April 9, 2008 at 6:48 pm

Thank you Mrs. Wilberding. Very worthwhile.

• Joe April 10, 2008 at 5:03 am

Strong family putting this togther great cause!

• Andy A April 13, 2008 at 3:06 pm

Such a great way to celebrate the life and passion of their loved one by being there for others. I work with Mike\’s son, have met his wife and their daughter, and have rarely seen a family so full of life, especially given a tragedy like this. Given that, this gesture is a natural. Wonderful.