Portlanders ride to remember Sheldon Brown

Posted by on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:13 am

Around 60 Portlanders showed up to remember Sheldon Brown yesterday. Brown passed away in early February and was a bicycle ambassador without equal, connecting with thousands through his prodigious website and his infectious and helpful personality.

Many participants in the ride showed up with Brown’s signature eagle figure attached to their helmets. Reports from the ride also said commemorative Sheldon Brown “Ride in Peace” stickers were handed out and some folks even brought specially made Sheldon Brown T-Shirts.

One of the ride’s organizers, Hollie Teal reported that, “The only thing that could have made it better is if Sheldon had been there to see it himself. His spirit was certainly there in the form of awesome old bikes with crazy drivetrains, recumbents, lots and LOTS of bike bells, and wonderful, sweet people who love bikes.”

A photoset of the ride has been posted here.

Comments
  • c April 2, 2008 at 9:59 am

Oh, damn. I spaced this ride, and I did so want to do it. For a man with such a long, long shadow it feels like his life hasn\’t begun to get the commemoration it deserves. Erect statues in every town square, say I. Seriously, though, is there some little piece of Portland\’s cycling infrastructure — a bridge, trail, nicely-designed rack, something — that we could officially name for him? I\’ve seen some Sheldon-head stickers around town, but I want kids 20 years from now to know of the legend that was Sheldon Brown.

• Hollie April 2, 2008 at 10:28 am

The goal is that 20 years from now, we\’ll still be having an annual April Fools ride in his honor.

Maybe the folks who make the eagles I brought to the ride will catch on after that many years and make a version that will fit into a helmet without having to use packing tape. Though I suspect Sheldon would have cracked up at the sight of all that tape on 30 helmets…

Thanks for the report, Jonathan!

• Metal Cowboy April 2, 2008 at 11:36 am

Same time and place next year. Wonderful group. Nice vibe and it was a perfect evening for a ride. Ride In Peace SB.
    Cheers,
    Joe Metal Cowboy Kurmaskie

• Daniel (teknotus) Johnson April 2, 2008 at 2:08 pm

I believe the Metal Cowboy, had two flats. I had to use two patches myself, but not until we got to the Lucky Lab. I guess that serves me right for boasting about how I had gone over a year without a flat. Maybe SB was playing an trick on us.

• Danielle April 2, 2008 at 2:12 pm

An annual April Fools memorial ride for Sheldon Brown is a brilliant notion. He was wildly influential on so many of us cyclists. Lets keep the tradition of honor going in a fun way.

Anyone know who made the t-shirts and where I can track one down?

• Donna April 2, 2008 at 6:15 pm

There was a nice couple passing them out. They have a website which I\’ve promptly forgot. I home someone gets on who remembers…

• Kent Peterson April 2, 2008 at 6:29 pm

We also did a Sheldon Brown Memorial Ride up in Seattle. Some pictures are here:

• Barbara Kilts April 2, 2008 at 8:15 pm

Thanks to Hollie for putting this celebration together – Igor the Eagle brought a smile to everyone we passed by. Old Sheldon smiled on us weather-wise: no fooling there! What a great way to break out of our late winter. An annual event? Definitely!

Barbara

• John Russell April 2, 2008 at 9:39 pm

I\’m thinking Igor the Eagle will now be a permanent fixture on my helmet from this ride forward.

• reign pdx May 6, 2008 at 8:33 am

Sheldon shirts
    the sheldon shirt is not on my website i was having some ethical questions about profiting from him without his consent.
    for people around town and especially those who went on the ride, i would make them for 15 apiece which is slightly above my cost so close to no profit.

thanks again for the ride it was awesome

reignpdx@gmail.com