Cielo Dock Sale runs through the 29th

Gun-toting driver offers apology, dinner invite

Posted by on February 5th, 2008 at 12:56 pm

Here’s a Craigslist “missed connections” posting from this morning that caught a reader’s eye.

To the girl who ran into my car door on her bike –

As you peddled away crying, I realized that I had over reacted. I was having a bad day and had just spent a lot of money on a new paint job, but pulling a gun on you was out of line. I’d like to make a formal apology in person. Over a bottle of wine and/or dinner, perhaps?

Ahh, the poor guy seems genuinely remorseful about what happened. Do you think there’s any hope of reconciliation? Will it take more than wine and dinner to remedy road rage?

I contacted the poster but haven’t heard back.

Link to original post.

[Thanks for the heads up C.P.!]

NOTE: At BikePortland, we love your comments. We love them so much that we devote many hours every week to read them and make sure they are productive, inclusive, and supportive (heck, sometimes we even fix your typos!). That doesn't mean you can't disagree with someone. It means you must do it with tact and respect. This is our business and we do not tolerate mean commenters who add nothing of value to the discussion.

Unfortunately, we are not robots and we don't always catch everything. You can help by notifying us if you see inappropriate comments. Thanks! — Jonathan and Michael

Comments
  • pdxrocket February 5, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Who here would go have dinner and drinks with someone who just pulled a gun on them? Get real! I might just take them up on the offer but have the police waiting for the bust.

• kg February 5, 2008 at 1:09 pm

If only more people had guns this sort of thing wouldn\’t happen. Oh wait…

• joeb February 5, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Ahh, how cute…

Craigslist has a comic strip section?

• Torfinn February 5, 2008 at 1:13 pm

:o

This can\’t be for real.

Anyway, if it is this guy is a rank amatuer.

When soliciting dates via firearm you always make them go on the date right away, never ask them afterwards.

He\’s doing it all backwards.

• tonyt February 5, 2008 at 1:18 pm

I think she should accept and show up at the dinner with a lawyer.

• a.O February 5, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Yep, out of line … and a felony. Call the prosecutor, get a subpoena, and get another gun-toting maniac off the road!

…unless the post is fake, which I strongly suspect.

• Dave February 5, 2008 at 1:41 pm

She should show up………..in the company of some \”freelancer\” hired out of the classified ads in Soldier of Fortune magazine.

• Diane February 5, 2008 at 1:44 pm

I\’m sure he\’ll be just as remorseful when he loses his temper again and smacks her.

Dude needs anger management training.

• Covertcyclist February 5, 2008 at 1:56 pm

I vote troll.

• toddistic February 5, 2008 at 1:58 pm

he\’s gunnin for a first date! BAH DUMP DA DAH!

• felix February 5, 2008 at 2:07 pm

It was his love gun! DOH!

• ron October 14, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Har!

• Caroline February 5, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Wow, just the kind of guy I\’m looking to bump into.

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?!!?

• jeff February 5, 2008 at 2:47 pm

There was a similar craigslist posting here in DC this past summer. Only instead of pulling a gun on the woman, the road rager threatened to rape her. Same as this one, after stating he overreacted, he had the nerve to invite her out for coffee!

• thane February 5, 2008 at 3:06 pm

I would definitely go and bring the prosecutor with me. You pull a gun on someone who is not threatening you, you should go to jail. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

• BURR February 5, 2008 at 3:17 pm

I wonder if he right hooked her first?

• Robert Dobbs February 5, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Hi,

To the anti-gun folks: Yes, this guy should not own a firearm. Good luck finding every hair-trigger asshole with a gun, and taking it, however. I advocate guns as a tool for personal defense, not to scare girls on bikes.

To the rest, in Oregon this is at least Menacing, and if he didn\’t have a CCW, it would also be Improper Use of a Firearm since he had it accessible in his car. If he pointed it at her, it would be yet another charge.

I still put this below the H2 driver\’s reaction, as he came with a bat (lethal weapon) and then proceeded to beat the cyclist, which could/should result in more charges than Mr. Love Gun if it were ever brought to court.

Of course it\’s likely to be total BS, but who knows….

• MikeOnBike February 5, 2008 at 3:21 pm

I wonder if it really happened.

Sounds like a troll to me…

• Ashley February 5, 2008 at 3:34 pm

I heart just died a little inside, and then became enraged in fury. W T F. Did you know you\’re an asshole? ASSHOLE.

Shudders…..

• Dave February 5, 2008 at 3:48 pm

Sounds like a barrel of laughs. This guy must have a real hair trigger temper. But at least he bit the bullet and is apologizing. Why not shoot for a date too?

Your move, toddistic.

• toddistic February 5, 2008 at 4:23 pm

oh Dave, you are quite the quick draw. I definately should not have brought my bike to a gunfight.

• Phil Hanson (aka Pedalphile) February 5, 2008 at 4:39 pm

Sounds to me like he just wants an opportunity to reverse his decision not to shoot her the first time around. He\’s the kind of guy EVERYONE should stay away from unless wearing kevlar and accompanied by armed, well trained body guards.

I\’ve no quarrel with guns, only with people who use them irresponsibly. Self-defense is good, angry offense not so much.

• Chuck February 5, 2008 at 4:42 pm

the way the mind works astounds me sometimes. \”hey, that girl I threatened with my gun after I hit her was kinda cute. maybe I overreacted. I wonder if she\’s single….\”

bravo. this guy sounds like a winner.

• brady February 5, 2008 at 4:44 pm

\”As you peddled away crying, I realized that I had over reacted.\”

Good thing she cried, apparently.

• Todd B February 5, 2008 at 5:27 pm

A perfect valentine week news item.

Perhaps the Mercury/ WWeek will issue a prize (free dinner and Earl Shibe paint job) and let this one lead the Valentine\’s Day edition of the paper\’s \’I saw you/ missed you section\’ of the personals.

• Opus the Poet February 5, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Gah! He\’s the kind of guy that gives a bad name to gun owners, or any other member of the human race…

Opus

• Adam February 5, 2008 at 5:34 pm

If it was the cyclists fault the she ran into the vehicle I can understand the drivers frustration but pulling a gun out? Come on! If thats not over the top I don\’t know what is. I support owning a gun but this type of person makes me look like a violent, ready to shoot anyone, idiot.

• n8m February 5, 2008 at 6:16 pm

I can\’t believe people are taking this post seriously… This is creative writing at best, unfortunately.

• Todd B February 5, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Well ladies…anyone out there willing to see if this date can be the real thing?

• Liu February 5, 2008 at 9:22 pm

That post is a fake. I\’d bet on it.

• Andrew February 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm

There is no one as insecure, fearful, cowardly and maladjusted to commit such a flagrant act with a lethal firearm except for our own Robert Dobs, who apparently rides a bike. If we are to believe his claims – that Dobs indeed rides a bicycle – then by the process of deduction we know this post to be a hoax

• cy February 6, 2008 at 7:46 am

Moral of story…

Girls on Bikes should carry Guns!

and I am only half kidding!

• KT February 6, 2008 at 9:40 am

Eeewwww!!!!

Creepy!!

I thought you never pull a gun unless you plan on using it?

If that girl is dumb enough to take him up on his offer, I hope she brings the police and her lawyer along.

• Stripes February 6, 2008 at 10:00 am

I\’m curious whether she \”pedalled\” into his door, or whether he opened his door in a bikelane or other travel lane, without first looking. That would have resulted in her being unable to avoid his door, and therefore the situation would be entirely his fault, not hers.

After all, it\’s pretty hard to pedal into a car door, without it being flung open into your way. Not many people intentionally pedal straight into the sides of cars.

I hope she is okay. Nobody should be left in tears, just as a result of trying their best to get safely from A to B in Portland. Nobody.

• LEE HOFFMAN February 6, 2008 at 11:54 am

&Well I loved her so I had to shoot her& I realize that allowing this trend of cyclist intentionly ramming car doors must be stopped what better way than a \”nine\” \”busta \”cap \”oh don\’t forget we have dinner plans after\” pleeeeaaaassssseeeee

• JE February 6, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Has this been reported to the police yet?

• Torfinn February 7, 2008 at 11:47 am

Usually when you report comical posts on Craigslist to police they don\’t respond.

Hahahaha, I\’m loving that so many people think this really happened.

I see lesser garbage on KATU all the time, if some dude was drivin round pullin guns on people you\’d hear about it.

• i'm a cyclist too February 8, 2008 at 12:01 am

Mr. Dobbs wrote: \”To the rest, in Oregon this is at least Menacing, and if he didn\’t have a CCW, it would also be Improper Use of a Firearm since he had it accessible in his car.\”

I may be wrong but I think you can have a gun accessible in your car without a CCW if it is not concealed – that is, if it is in plain view. Maybe it can\’t be loaded in that case.

If this story is true, make a date and have a cop there – get him on pointing the gun at you – but not for having a gun – that is your right as a law-abiding citizen.

Keep ridin\’. The price of oil is down thanks in part to cyclists.

• A.R. February 19, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Doesn\’t anyone copy the post before it gets removed?

• A.R. February 19, 2008 at 6:10 pm

Oh wait, here it is, on this very site. My bad, I thought there was something in addition to this.

• Cablenut February 5, 2009 at 12:35 pm

number 37:

Its not legal to carry a loaded firearm in your car, unless you have a concealed handgun license, under ORS 166.173.

Even *IF* this asshat had a CHL: brandishing is both illegal and unethical. You should only ever unholster your firearm if you view your life, or the lives the other in your protection, in danger. There is NO other reason to unholster your weapon.

Lastly, drawing your firearm is just a damned good way to get yourself shot…in response. That bicyclist *could* have been carrying herself, and someone pointing a gun at her, threatening her, could satisfy the legal requirement for a “justifiable self defense shooting.”

I am relatively certain that dude didn’t have a CHL: statistically, CHL holders just *don’t* commit crimes: The Sheriffs Association typically identifies the number of folks who are arrested, that also hold CHLs in the single digits a year, mostly for non-violent crime (typically dui’s.)

If this gal signs in: please report this to the county Sheriff. This person is NOT well. Don’t try to handle this yourself.

Oh, and I am not a lawyer…just a liberal guy who likes to shoot guns, and follows politics very closely, and ride my newly Stokemonkeyed Xtracyle.