Vandals damage lights on I-205 bike path

Posted by on January 7th, 2008 at 4:02 pm

ODOT reports that vandals have “ripped apart” lighting fixtures on the I-205 bike path.

Here are more details from ODOT’s Shelli Romero:

Parts of the I-205 bike and pedestrian trails have no lighting or very limited lighting because vandals have ripped apart the lighting fixtures. ODOT is working with law enforcement authorities and working to repair the damage, which could take weeks. ODOT urges all users of the bike/ped trails to take extra caution, and if anyone sees anything strange, please call 9-1-1.

Romero says the affected areas are:

• I-205 from Washington to Holgate
  • I-205 northbound from Maywood to Rocky Butte

I hope to post photos soon. If anyone rides out that way and cares to chime in (or email me some photos), that would be great.

Comments
  • Jessica Roberts January 7, 2008 at 4:38 pm

I had to bike out to my doctor\’s early one morning, along the I-205 bike path. There are some seriously scary parts there, and so many of the lights are out! In some places there are more lights out than on. I called 503-823-SAFE but never got a reply. I\’m glad to hear that they know about it, but I wonder if they will be able to do anything about it.

• caitlin January 7, 2008 at 9:57 pm

As far as I can tell, the lights are out from Halsey to Division as well. There are some parts with lots of glass and long stretches where someone sketchy could easily be lurking. I hope they are able to fix it soon.

• Moo January 8, 2008 at 9:34 am

And to think…all of this going on in the middle of winter. Just wait until summertime if no plan of action or law enforcement strategy has been put into place by then.

• David Feldman January 8, 2008 at 10:32 am

Are metal parts missing? Metal thieves are taking anything that they can unbolt lately.

• Phil Hanson (aka Pedalphile) January 8, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Public and private property seem to be the favorite \”chew toys\” for a segment of the population that lacks respect for itself or for others. Is there an answer to this mindless mayhem? Yeah, there is, but sane, compassionate people wouldn\’t like it.

• Daniel Porter January 8, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Actually, if it is metal thieves, the answer is simple. Start prosecuting the scrap metal yards. Everytime I hear about metal being stolen from public (or private) property I think \”Why are the scrap metal dealer taking signs, bleachers, copper wiring, etc. without checking the ID of the person doing the selling.

• Todd B January 8, 2008 at 11:46 pm

It is all up to our local legislatures…Olympia changed the law to require ID checks and delayed payment to minimize this problem.

Perhaps Salem can get on the ball on this one – this year or are they back to work next year?