Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on December 13th, 2007 at 12:36 pm
[Updated: 12/13, 3:05pm, 5:17pm, 10:35pm - see below]
Several readers have emailed me a report on KGW.com about a bicycle-involved fatality in Gresham.
According to KGW it happened late this morning on SE Powell Blvd. at W Powell Loop, east of Powell Butte Nature Park (Google Map link of location).
Here's a snip from their report:
"The cyclist died at the scene, according to police. The driver stayed at the scene and was cooperating with police. Investigators don't yet know who was at fault."
I don't have great contacts at the Gresham PD, but will try and keep this post updated as best I can.
More information has been coming in via the comments below (thanks everyone!). Here are a few snippets from them:
- This fatality happen just a few blocks east of Portland's border with Gresham
- The Oregonian has more information:
"About 9:20 a.m., a male bicyclist headed east on Powell Boulevard veered into eastbound traffic, said Sgt. Claudio Grandjean, a Gresham Police Department spokesman. Police have yet to release the identity of the bicyclist, who died at the scene."
- There is a bike lane on the street where the collision occurred, whether or not the person operating the bicycle was in the bike lane can't be confirmed yet.
- A ghost bike has been prepared for the victim and it will be erected at the intersection tonight.
- The Oregonian and KGW are reporting that Gresham police have already placed blame on the man on the bike. Oregonian: Bicyclist killed in Gresham when he veers into traffic, police say; KGW: Police: Killed bicyclist turned into car's path on Powell Blvd.